“Alright...for the price I guess it's not bad”

Anantara Sathorn Bangkok Hotel
Ranked #79 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
canada
“Alright...for the price I guess it's not bad”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I would probably pay a bit more for a better hotel.

The design of the living room is simple. Not much of a design. It is overall quite clean. The bed is really comfortable and the view is quite good.

The staff were nice but when I called the front desk there was no answer. U tired multiple times around 5pm.

I tried to book a restaurant and was waiting at the concierge, he was helping another hotel guest so he told me that the front desk can do it for me. The front desk asked me to go back to the concierge but I told them I was sent here. They looked annoyed for 3 seconds and helped me booked the restaurant and was trying to act polite again.

Overall, I paid just a little more than a hundred dollars so u guess it is pretty good for the money. In my opinion, I would rather pay more for a truly five star hotel.

I tried calling the front desk 6 times in the afternoon and nobody picked up the call. I was kind of frustrated because our room wasn't ready when we got checked in. It wasn't clean!!! So we got another room...a very large room but we rather wait for the deluxe because it was more cozy.

There are only a few items on the midnight snack.

The pool water was extremely cold and the staff do not know their menu really well. Most of the fruit juice items they don't have. I don't understand why they would have those items on the menu.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank beautywish
ANT_Sathorn, Manager at Anantara Sathorn Bangkok Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear BeautyWish

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit to Anantara Bangkok Sathorn.
I was extremely surprised and disappointed to read your review and would like to investigate your comments fully. May I ask you to contact me directly on msmith@anantara.com and advise me of your dates of stay and the name your reservation was made under?
Your comments are certainly not indicative of our usual level of service. Our Guest Service Centre (where you were calling) is manned twenty four hours, so I am completely at a loss to explain why your calls weren’t answered without being able to investigate further.
I look forward to hearing back from you.

Kind regards

Melanie Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
sydney
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The standard of hotels in Bangkok is very high and you really get a bang for your buck.
I have stayed in awesome hotels such as the Metropolitan for less than $100
In most cities in the world I would be very impressed with the Anantara - the people are very friendly and efficient and it wasn't expensive
However as others have mentioned I had two issues with the Ananatara which will probably make me look elsewhere next time
- the hotel is located on a road with a terrible traffic jam almost all day so that you really need to find alternative transport on motorbikes or walk to get to the BTS or a road where the traffic is moving
- the breakfast on weekends is chaos and big queues form for a table after around 8am
I don't think anyone is going to be disappointed with this place, but for the money I think you can really snag an awesome hotel in bkk

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank shoestringtraveller
Dear shoestringtraveller

Thank you for taking the time to comment following your recent stay at Anantara Bangkok Sathorn.
You will be pleased to know that we have made some adjustments to our breakfast service to better accommodate our guests. We are confident this will assist in managing the large number of guests we serve for breakfast.
Our breakfast restaurant is open from 6.30am to 10.30am and unfortunately the majority of our guests choose to come to breakfast after 9.00am when it is very busy. In order to avoid the crowds we suggest having breakfast before 9.00am.
As you mention the traffic on Sathorn Road, similar to most areas of Bangkok can be quite congested. The hotel offers a regular shuttle service to and from Chong Nonsi BTS station. We recommend you travel in air-conditioned comfort to get to the BTS station, if you do not feel like the ten minute walk.
Thank you once again for sharing your comments.

Copenhagen
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I chose Anantara based on several reviews here. It is a great hotel with great value, from superb breakfast, nice pool and facilities, free internet. It looks more like a serviced apartment on the reception area. The only small neg part is location, it's in fact not so far from the BTS station but again you still need to walk like 4-500m I guess in a warm bangkok sometimes is not so pleasent, and the shuttle service has very less often so always better to take a cab, but again the traffic around Sathorn is almost impossible to travel with cab during day time. So if location is not a very big deal, it is ok here. However next time we might pay more and try Baan Anatara in rajchadumri instead.

Room Tip: Get a room with a city view
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank mattfyr
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Tha hotel is amazing with all the amenities you need and very clean, modern and glamorous. Excellent value for money.
The room is fantatic, with a superb view, separate dining/lounge/kitchen area from the bedroom and a fantastic bathroom with a huge bathtube. 2 plasmas with internet for free.
The hotel's breakfast were fantastic - wide variety and good quality food.
the location its not the best, some problems with the taxi drivers but the hotel give cards with information in thai. it is short walk, maybe 5 minutes, to the skytrain.
I really dont like to pay for the 2 pages printing for my plane checkin online.
I will be back for sure and I recomend this hotel with any doubt.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank roger_martins
ANT_Sathorn, General Manager at Anantara Sathorn Bangkok Hotel, responded to this review, August 18, 2011
Dear roger_martins

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us.
I was delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. As you mention we are located just a short walk from the Chong Nonsi BTS station, which is three stops from Siam , where all the major shopping is located.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Lucknow, India
Reviewed August 3, 2011

we stayed in the hotel with our 2 kids during june 2011 . The hotel was amazing with all modern ammenities one think of. The kitchen was good and we enjoyed our cooking very much. The building was high so the view fron appartment was amazing. The hotel is in the quite area of Sathorn so it is better for the Families.The size of the room was enough for the family of 4.We would like to stay here again & again.

Room Tip: Big And Beautiful. The room is good which will fulfill one's needs
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Dear sunil_8678

Thank you for taking the time to comment on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us .
I was delighted to read your comments, and pleased you enjoyed your stay with us .

As you note our rooms are ideal for families, very comfortably accommodating adults and children or even two sets of adults travelling together. This obviously makes it a very affordable option for families. For future reference you may be interested in our family package where children “eat free” when dining with adults.

I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Anantara Bangkok Sathorn in teh near future.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 3, 2011

Anantara Sathorn was excellent value for money during our stay in end of July, especially we booked with a Stay 3 Pay 2 offer!

Upon our arrival in the evening, despite check-in process was not very efficient, we surprisingly got a courtesy upgrade from a 1-bedroom suite to a 1-bedroom with balcony suite on medium floor facing the pool side. The view was very open and environment was quiet. The suite was spacious, bright and nicely decorated with a very homey feeling. Bath tub design was perfect for a comfy bath after you shop till you drop.

Breakfast variety and quality was amazing, comparable to other 4- and 5-star hotels I have stayed in BKK before, which was far beyond my expectation for serviced apartment's breakfast!

Pool was situated in the middle of the 2 blocks and next to the restaurant, was just perfect in terms of accessibility and interactions with friends / family by the poolside.

The only problem during my stay was about the internet and tv signal connection which was not very stable, staff took quite some time to fix. Overall, staff was very attentive to our requests.

The overall experience was very good and I would definitely choose Anantara Sathorn again for my next visit to BKK :-)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Argyll, Scotland
Reviewed August 1, 2011

We booked this hotel expecting ordinary rooms so the two bedroom apartment that we were allocated complete with kitchen, dining area, TV area with internet access, two en-suites and two balconies was great value. The hotel was difficult for our taxi driver to find initially but reception gave us business cards to hand to taxis that say 'Please take me to...' with the hotel's address in Thai so that was the only time it happened. The pool area is hidden behind the hotel block and surrounded by loungers which would be lovely in season. A range of culinary preferences are catered for and as we were leaving the hotel to travel home we didn't want to risk any upsets so we can recommend the pizza menu! When leaving the hotel, cross the road on the footbridge by the gates and turn right to find several lovely small bars and restaurants frequented by local young people. This is a large, business style hotel that we would definitely stay at again when next in Bangkok.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Tillymintball
ANT_Sathorn, General Manager at Anantara Sathorn Bangkok Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2011
Dear Tillymintball

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at Anantara Bangkok Sathorn. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I am thankful you have chosen to share this feedback through Tripadvisor. In particular it was pleasing to read your comments regarding our pizza.

Thank you again for your feedback , and I trust that should your travels bring you back to Bangkok we will have the pleasure of your company again. Should I be able to assist you in any way further please feel free to contact me directly.

Kind regards