“Great food, great experience”
Review of Bo.Lan

Bo.Lan
Ranked #1,135 of 11,964 Restaurants in Bangkok
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Thong Lor & Ekamai
Description: Bo.lan Essentailly Thai Offers uncompromising Thai food to the descerning pallate. Bo.lan offers Lunch service 4 days a week and Dinner service 6 days a week. We are closed Mondays. For lunch there is a set menu and A la Catre options For Dinner there is a choice of 3 Tasting Menu's Bol.lan Brief, Bolan Balance And Bolan Botanical (avaialble in Both brief and Balance format) Please not Bo.lan requires the whole table to choose the same style of menu i.e Brief or Balance. please inform us in advance if you have any dietary restrictions.
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I usually prefer my Thai meals on the street in plastic chairs. The general rule of thumb is: The nicer (looking) and more expensive the restaurant, the blander the food." The staff at Bo.Lan, however, prepared some amazing prepared with great care. Flavours were rich and multi-faceted.

Really kind staff as well.

Reviewed April 28, 2014

I simply cannot understand the bad reviews of Bo.lan which is easily one of the best restaurants i have ever eaten in (and i've eaten in a lot!) On my last visit I went with friends and their toddler - they even have a kids menu and little mia was treated just as well as we were. I always have the mini balance which is a great way to try a full menu and ensure all the dishes contrast/compliment as intended. I will be heading back in 2 weeks with a friend, to not bring her here on a trip to Bangkok would be unthinkable. You eat at bo.lan to try something different - to really EXPERIENCE tastes and flavours for the first time. Its not a standard 3 course restaurant offering appetisers/main courses and desserts - splash out and try the tasting menus, you wont regret it. If you want health advice, listen to the dr, if you want great food, listen to the chef!

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Looking forward to "some of the best Thai food in Bangkok, in a lush garden right off Sukhumvit road, served by michelin accredited chefs", I was looking forward to my night at bo.lan, and must admit that my expectations were high. This is how it went...

Let's start at the beginning. Bo.Lan tries to be cool, New York style cool. The only problem is, Bangkok is not exactly Manhattan, and the "valet parking" concept already strikes one as odd when coming up to the restaurant. After our cab bravely passed the valet parking procedures, we made our way to the hostess. Well, hostess, no one was to be seen for a few minutes until one of the waiters hastily came over, mumbled the well known "sawadee-ka" and showed us our table (outside). Not exactly the smoothest of welcomes.

The ambiance..

The table was supposed to be in the garden. Maybe the lovely people from Bo.Lan should go to an actual garden next weekend, as the total amount of plants could be counted on one hand. Luckily though, the lack of plants did ensure we had a marvellous view over the motorbikes of the staff and spare tables of the restaurant. Also, the ridiculous concept of vallet parking ensures that with every guest coming in the headlights of the car brighten up your meal. Next to that, don't expect any music, candles or whatever would provide any sort of atmosphere, as that obviously wouldn't cool for Bo.Lan's standards

The service..

What service? Oh wait, maybe the person who had no knowledge about the menu or wines, asked 44 times if i wanted more wine after ordering a bottle, and started to become very anxious when I asked a few simple questions in English. After my third question she ran off not to resurface again, asking for her manager to take over our table. To be fair, he seemed to know what he was doing, but that you hire people with no english ability in the first place for a fine dining restaurant aimed at international guests is beyond me

The food & wine

First of all, the wine list. Rarely have i seen a winelist almost entirely filled with a) so little choice, b) such a boring collection and c) such ridiculous prices for what is offered. If Bo.Lan is serious about being a high end restaurant, then the variety of wine offered is poor to say the least.

Then the food - starters, decent. Not great, but ok. The main course was the highlight of the evening, and not in a good way. We ordered cashnew nut chicken, but somehow "the michelin star accredited chef" managed to get it so staunch that a big steak knife would have been needed to effectively cut through it. Just for the record, a street vendor selling chicken cashew would probably have done a better job. The manager, visibly embarrassed, offered a new main and took it off the bill, but the damage was done, and so was our night at bo.lan. We had seen enough

Concluding

For me, dining out is all about the combination of great food, service and ambiance, which gives you a special night out to remember. Bo.Lan doesnt manage any of this, and i truly hope that I by writing this review i ensure a few people will stay away from Bo.Lan and make a better choice. In a city which spoils its people with great food options, this shouldn't be too hard. If you still intend on going, expect to pay 100-150 USD for a meal overlooking the barren wasteland (uhm, i meant, garden)

Ps. The garden does have a plastic pigeon. As this significantly contributes to the lush garden experience Bo.Lan promises I thought this was worthwhile mentioning.

15  Thank SBO81
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Bo.Lan was recommended to us by our hotel, and unlike a number of recent reviews, we were not disappointed. The service was friendly and efficient and help was given to us with the menu and with explaining the ingredients. We thought the dishes to be a good size and well-cooked. The décor is chic modern, with reasonable noise levels. As this was our only Bangkok restaurant dinner (other than in our hotel) experience, I can't comment on the value.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I do not want to loose energy. just some small lines.
after asking if I could have my soup not together with my main dish I was told NO.
Its Thai tradition to serve all food together.
I asked to talk to the manager as I really would love to have a warm main dish after the soup.
The "chef" arrived at the table and behaved completely aggressive.
"we have to follow their rules and Thai tradition".
No comment on that - anyone who might read this knows how lovely and respectful Thai tradition and hospitality is.
I still was calm and asked him that it might be a wrong procedure as the guest should treated with respect and not the ego of the chef should be followed. (The food we ate tasted anyway not special but boring). What happened now was a nightmare coming through. The "chef" named - I think - Dillen - Kicked us out of the restaurant.
Incredible...never ever had a situation like this in my life...
I am really grateful that there is Tripadvisor and the world - Mr.DILLEN - can read this.
Enjoy Thailand and Thai food somewhere else, folks....

10  Thank mm70