La Table de Tee
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Silom
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We booked on our first night in Bangkok - a delayed birthday celebration - and were eagerly anticipating the experience.

The first course was superb, and they were able to adjust the dish to suit my companions aversion to shellfish. All good so far.

Unfortunately, the team were involved in a photo shoot of their food for around the first hour of our dinner, which was loud and distracting and meant that our courses were delayed somewhat.

My guess is that the chef went home after the photo shoot and left it up to the sous to finish the service. For the next three courses, nothing was close to what the menu described and worse, all three distinct dishes were accompanied by the same awful BBQ sauce (instead of, for instance, a garlic butter on the beef, or a mint lamb jus)!

Someone lost the plot because it was terrible. We were given a tiny teaspoon with which to eat the chocolate dessert course - which could not cut through the biscuit base. We gave up after that.

VERY disappointing.

7  Thank bali4ever_10

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Based on the reviews on Tripadvisor, La Table de Tee was one of the restaurants we have booked for our dinner before we started our trip to Bangkok. I have some expectation on this dinner and it doesn’t put me down.

This restaurant is a very small one with only 18 seats in a small alley from which is not a very good experience as you want along the alley. Luckily, the 5-course set dinner (French with Thai flavor) was very good. The taste was yummy and presentation was attractive. We can feel the effort paid by the chef.

This restaurant should be a good choice for a romantic and delicious meal.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

My family and I had a fantasic evening at La Table. We were staying in Bangkok for a night before travelling back to London and we were able to secure an early table at the last minute. It also happened to be our wedding anniversary. Our food was amazing and the service was exceptional. They didn't bat an eylid when we arrived with our son, they asked what he would like and the chef prepared something more akin to a six year old's tastes (chicken with rice) and we promptly ploughed on through the tasting menu. Every course was delicious and the they suprised us with a specially made anniversary cake which was a lovely suprise. We left the restaurant feeling very satisfied and we would recommend La Table de Tee to anyone visting Bangkok. It's a really good find with great food with a nice vibe (small and cosy) and very reasonable pricing.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

The meal was so great with every dishes! ( especially soup and dessert )
Its the best dinner i have in Bangkok. The food is fresh and the taste are so great as well!
Its a romantic night i spend with my hubby!

Great choice!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Based on the reviews I read on Tripadvisor, perhaps I was expecting too much. The restuarant itself is small, cute and in a small alley off Saladaeng Rd. The ambience is comfortable but nothing to rave about - sufficiently dim lighting to create the mood and decent furniture. I booked via the internet and received a prompt reply with directions and a map. We arrived on time & had our table waiting. The menu was explained and they only serve a serve a degustation menu at Bht 900 a head (5 courses). Value wise - it was excellent. The dishes were paced nicely and we had a very smooth evening in terms of timing, clearing of dishes etc. The restaurant is small & the acoustics are not good so it can be a little noisy if its full and everyone is talking - but all this adds to the ambience.

S far so good - the food (which is the main reason we are here) is overall only OK. We started off with their bread rolls (served warm - very soft rolls, slightly sweet & had a ham stuffing in them). Not exactly what I was expecting but quite delicious. Our soup arrived (a coconut milk soup with chicken drumlets) & it smelled delicious but upon tasting - it was way too sweet as well as salty. The chicken drumlets swimming in the soup were difficult to eat (you had to use your hands which is a little messy) & the meat was dry rather than tender. Next was a pork gyoza - this was not really nice - the dough of the gyoza was chewy and the texture was strange. There were 2 mains (& each main had a choice of 2) so between the 4 of us, we managed to try all the mains. The green spinach risotto was ok if a little too rustic for our liking (spinach was in chunks rather than finely chopped and mixed in with the rice). The sea bass was much better (crispy flaky skin atop tender bass fillet). Next was the duck with peppercorn - nothing to write home about. Duck breast was sufficiently tender & moist but the sauce lacked character. The lamb & garlic - the meat itself was good; the cutlets were cooked perfectly but the sauce - a curried lamb jus was strange and too sweet. Desserts were hit & miss. The chocolate & coconut custard was bitter while the peanut macaroon & fruit jelly was however wonderful.

Overall, the meal was an OK experience - given the abundance of fresh spices, herbs and the wonderful range of Sensations that Thai food allows......I think the Food here is too tame. The chef is obviously talented & the restaurant has a great future but personally I think he can explore his roots further & push the boundaries a little. Having lived in Australia for a while - the chefs in Melbourne & Sydney are doing an amazing job of marrying the tastes of East & West. Perhaps my tastebuds are a little spoilt & I was expecting too much, but I found the food here OK & my overall dining experience was fine. But personally I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here.

7  Thank scorpioshanghai