“A Little Gem”

Ranked #213 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“A Little Gem”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

For my wife and I this was our first visit to Bangkok so we really didn't know quite what to expect in terms of "value for money" accommodation. Wow - what a great experience. This is a really warm and colourful hotel tucked away in a quiet street yet very close to many amenities. (a variety of shops, Thai massage parlours and some super eating places - particularly street food vendors where we ate supper for the 3 days we were there)
The first thing that strikes you is the fantastic level of service and friendliness from every single staff member. The young man managing the restaurant was exceptional.
We stayed in one of the 4th floor de luxe rooms overlooking the pool and restaurant and it was great. Tons of space, big bathroom with shower, bath and every shampoo, shower gel and conditioner you could wish for. Effective air-con, flat screen TV (with a remote that worked!) and a courtesy bar with free bottled water that was replenished daily.
Breakfast really set you up for the day with cereals, rolls, toast, fresh fruit, yoghurt, a range of Thai dishes and freshly cooked scrambled egg or omlettes.
Great venue, great service and great value.
Thank you to everyone at the Salil Hotel for making this such a great stay.

Room Tip: Booking a de luxe room will give you a huge bed, big bathroom and plenty of space for your luggage.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham O
SalilManagement, Front Office Manager at Salil Hotel Sukhumvit - Soi Thonglor 1, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Graham O

Thank you very much for salil hotel thonglor has been selected for you host during visit in bangkok. the great feed back will distributing to staffs and keep provided a best service.

we will welcome you and your family to stay with us again in the next traveling.

Nancy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Dhaka City, Bangladesh
Reviewed January 5, 2014

good place for this hotel quiet. Very clean, nice rooms, nice terrace for breakfast and very nice little pool. For the lazy, tuk tuk one takes you to the metro station of air (5 min walk otherwise)! will book again

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
SalilManagement, Front Office Manager at Salil Hotel Sukhumvit - Soi Thonglor 1, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear IndusKau

The Salil Hotel Thonglor were very appreciated for you kind advice comment which very rewarding our team to motivating team and keeping up for the best hospitality service distribute to customers.

Hopefully, the salil hotel get an opportunity to serve you and your family in the next future.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

This hotel is conveniently located at Soi Thonglor 1, just a few minutes walk to the BTS Thonglor.

Hotel exterior decor very colourful and fun. Interior wise - room is small though they gave me a corner room which is slightly bigger than those along the hallway. So thankyou to the reception staff.

Staff are courteous especially those at the breakfast tables, buffet spread is reasonable and the egg chef is nice and fast.

They only gave one key card and so need to pay Baht500 as deposit for a spare key card. When the cleaners come clean the room they will still dislodge the spare key card in the room if you leave it there. My problem with this is that it disrupts the charging process of my computer and battery bank so I need to charge again when I come back to the room in the night.

They provide free transfer from airport depending on the type of promotion you pick. The driver is pretty savvy so he goes through small roads to avoid major traffic congestion.

Would recommend this hotel any time. ... good price and good location

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
SalilManagement, Front Office Manager at Salil Hotel Sukhumvit - Soi Thonglor 1, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Dear tts_jeff

Thank you very much for you kindness advice feed back for your satisfied our service provided and our staffs during stay. We were encouraging and motivating all staffs to keeping best hospitality service expand to clients.

However if you would like to returning please inform us directly we will offer the special benificial to you for next travelling .

Should you have any further queries or more information plese do not hesitate contact me at you convenience e-mail : fom-sl2@salilhotel.com

Penang Island, Malaysia
Reviewed December 24, 2013

very impressed that upon arrival, they superb to treat me. I pay extra for up grade to balcony room that value to paid that,nice view ,over all located like home ,green ,fresh air. Breakfast should add more items but it reasonable price, the staff at restuarant was friendly.
the located hotel near BTS by 5 minute walk and acces to rich of entertainment and 10 minute to siam paragon or down town.

recommend this hotel to host you

Room Tip: 2nd floor with balcony room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank wangleo
SalilManagement, General Manager at Salil Hotel Sukhumvit - Soi Thonglor 1, responded to this review, December 25, 2013
Dear Mr. Wangleo

Thank you very much for Salil Hotel Thonglor soi 1 have an opportunity Host your during visited In Bangkok.

With the pleasure your're welcome advised a great comment for encourage our staffs to keep up best service .

we hopefully we will welcome you once again in soonest.

Best Regards,

Joe
Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

A magnificent palace ideally located at the heart of the most vibrant part of Bangkok Thailand, the Salil Hotel Thong lor is a unique place to stay at Bangkok and feel that you are at noble hotel.

A place where in contemporary comfort and elegance meets the silence, sophistication and kindness of classic culture.

Embebed in the atmosphere of luxury that is the very soul of this establishment are the amazing services , the pool the outstanding restaurant with new culinary concept .All of them combining style and contemporary chic with an impeccable service attentive but not intrusive that makes the experience of the hotel more than unforgettable, memorable.

Because beyond the elegance and glamour of The Salil Thong Lor Hotel what it is truly remarkable is the personalized care of the guest, the kindness and consideration, the attention to details .

Everything reflects a philosophy and a very special art of living .

A pleasure to repeat indeed. We will come back !!!!

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Badjongster
SalilManagement, Front Office Manager at Salil Hotel Sukhumvit - Soi Thonglor 1, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Badjongster

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed December 9, 2013

You won't find rooms smaller than this anywhere in the world, not even in Tokyo at the price that you have paid for. You could barely move inside the room and if you have one large suitcase then you wonder yourself jumping the stuff every now and then even to reach bathroom. I booked this hotel (2 rooms) for my family's visit, looking at 4 star hotel rating. I wonder who has given this hotel 4 star rating or is it self imposed. It doesn't even deserve 2 star. The staff is nice and cooperative. I never got hot water in the bathroom for my stay of 4 days. Every time they came and said that it is fixed but it never was. Finally, they offered me to change my room on the 4th floor of a building which does not have an elevator. I had no option but to decline and probably that's why they would have offered me.

When I was booking this hotel, I was getting a better deal online from other travel sites. I called them but they insisted to book through them only and offered me to switch to one of the bigger rooms because we had a kid with us. They also suggested me to go for hot package that includes breakfast and airport transfers, which later I realized was absolutely a marketing gimmick. When I checked-in I asked for a bigger room and it was a standard reply that all rooms are full. I extended my stay and decided to shift to one of their other hotels at Soi 8 after my family left the country. Since, airport transfer was included in our package I asked them to drop me off to their other hotel where I was staying for the rest of my stay. The hotel was on the way to airport and they had to just drop me off in the van for which I had already paid for. They asked me to pay additional 600 THB just for a drop to their own hotel which was on the way to airport where they were going to drop my family. Can you ever imagine this? I preferred to take a meter taxi and wonder how much did I pay to the taxi.....67 THB. Yes, it costed me only 67 THB against 600 THB which they had asked me to pay for the transport for which I had already paid them 1000 THB.

The second incidence was the breakfast for my kid. When I was booking through a travel site the breakfast for 2 adults and one child was included. When they asked me to book through them I checked with them on the same. They said yes. When I reached hotel they asked me to pay additional money for my kid's breakfast and they did charge me. It was a very small amount that would have neither hurt me nor them, but the question was integrity and customer service more than the money.

They deserve a poor review but the only reason I am giving them an average rating is for the supportive and polite nature of their staff. On top of that, their travel service is awesome. I doubt you will get a better deal than what you get from the lady (she is independent and not part of the hotel staff) who sits in the inside corner. If you want to book dinner cruise or any event please go to her as she will offer you the rates better than you can even find online. The car that we booked through her was also a good experience.

You can read my review about the same hotel at Soi 8 in a short while. It was even worst experience than this.

Room Tip: As far as possible, prefer to stay at other hotels which are much better than this at the same or lo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
SalilManagement, Front Office Manager at Salil Hotel Sukhumvit - Soi Thonglor 1, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear TavelGeek

Thank you for you feed back as you satisfy experience during stay at Salil Hotel Thonglor 1.
your comment very significant us to improving,

Our room type we have 3 categories with Superior, Superior balcony, Deluxe, for choice when you were reserve we will emphasize Front office staff to assign and escort guest accordance booking said.

Hotel Limo car and Taxi meter it would be difference price. (Normal to compare with safty)

For the extra Breakfast we already sent the e-mail to you on 28 Nov 13 time 08:55hrs, we sent the e-mail to confirm chrage breakfast for child price 130 THB.

please keep my apologize for any inconvenience .

Should you have any further queries or more information please do not hesitate us at you convenience

Reviewed November 18, 2013

I've been to Bangkok about 10 or so times, but this is my first time staying in the Thong Lor area. Actually I quite like the neighbourhood- quiet, but convenient at the same time, with good amenities around.

The plus points of the hotel: Staff were generally friendly and helpful, decor was tasteful (nice pool area which we never used; cafe area was nice as well), good location (4 minute or so walk from BTS), beds are comfortable.

I can't complain about anything being really bad, mostly just mediocre. Rooms are acceptable, but not memorable. The buffet breakfast was below average (save your money and just get breakfast on the street!).

I've stayed in much nicer places elsewhere in Thailand for 25% of Salil's price. I understand that Bangkok is more expensive than other parts of Thailand, but even in the big city, you can find the same quality of hotel (or better!) for much less than what you would pay here.

In short, Bangkok is a city of choices, with many options for accommodation. Salil is, at best, a mediocre choice. But in a city like Bangkok, you can do much better! Do some more research and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank RLO721
SalilManagement, ผู้จัดการ at Salil Hotel Sukhumvit - Soi Thonglor 1, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Value guest

your comment very significant us to improving,

we effort to set up variety of Breakfast ,as Salad, Hot dish , ham, sausage, bolona ,Suzhi, milk ,fruit juice, 5 series or bread, 3 kinds of season fruit, coffee & Tea which serve in every morning. may our staff not to pay attendtion at you as much as they can , i will briefing my staff both of approach to offer asssistance in consistency, we are ensurely the stree didnt provided more varieties of Breakfast as the hotel providing ,however i will checking the quality too.

our room type we have 3 categories are Superior, Superior balcony,deluxe, for choice when you were reserve we will emphasize Front office staff to assign and escort guest accordance booking said.

please keep my apologize for any inconvenience .

Best Regards,