“Disappointed. Period.”

Ruen-Nuad Massage Studio
Ranked #29 of 565 Spas & Wellness in Bangkok
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Visited here literally 5 hours ago with my husband - yes, we are visiting here for our honeymoon. We choose 60mins thai massage. Even though I asked the owner when I was making a booking about a month ago and today onsite for the best massuse, I don't think she assigned 'the one' to me unfortunately. My massuse kept chit chatting to her colleagues who were giving massage to the customers next/ opposite to my room and also checked the clock very often. No good!
Also, as it was my husband's very first Thai massage in his life I wanted to give him a good first impression but it seems like 'mission failed' as he did not enjoyed that mush either. I went to Thann spa at Graysorn, actually it was the day I arrived in bangkok, and it was WAY better. Of course the price at Thann is about 5.5 times more expensive but I learned again that you get what you pay for. Never back here again....and I strongly recommend you other 'better' places like Thann if you fancy some special experience!

4  Thank Olivia1219
in 6 reviews
"alley"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed December 28, 2013

visited this joint in 3 consecutive days during my visit in bangkok in late Dec 2013:

Day 1: i booked myself for a traditional thai massage while partner had a aromatic oil massage. we booked ourselves for a 90-min session and i told my partner that this joint seems to be a must-visit given the raving reviews on tripadvisor. we were not disappointed at all on our first visit though we felt that the receptionist was very cold, unfriendly and unwilling to provide a simple service. however, we were assigned two solid masseuse and i truly had one of the best massages ever! she focused so well on the tight knots on my shoulders and neck. i am one customer who always prefers a masseuse that has a pair of strong hands, so this particular masseuse assigned to me did a great great job! partner enjoyed his very much too. also, we were given a private room with air condition and ensuite bath room. i am not sure if the receptionist charged us 100 baht per person on the use of private room. even if she did, the money spent was worth it.

day 2: thinking that each masseuse must be skillful and strong, we returned with high hopes. ah, we met the very cold service provider again and this made me and my partner realized that given the types of service we encountered in bangkok so far, thailand is no longer a land of smiles.this time, my partner chose the traditional thai massage as well as i did. the moment i met my masseuse, i knew very well this session would be a very very bad one. she did not look energetic and literally dragging her feet when she walked. it is not difficult to judge a person in the service line with her body language. throughout my session, the very gentle masseuse merely stroke my skin, pound lightly on my thighs and back and there was not a time i felt any good pain from stroking the right knot or releasing any tension. such a disappointment from the high standard i experience the previous day. my partner was equally disappointment with his masseuse.

day 3: giving it a final try on our last day. we had enough body massage over the past two days and since we just had our breakfast, we thought of trying the foot massage at Ruen Nuad. We were the first customers at10am. Staff who saw us did not bother to smile at us. when one of the managers attended to us, her service is more profound and friendly than the lady we met the previous two days. i also requested a masseuse with strong hands but was utterly disappointed. i had a lady assigned to me while a male masseuse for my partner. the male masseuse is well built but according to my partner, the masseuse strength was that of a young kid even though partner requested stronger rubs. i was not impressed with my masseuse either. i guess in thailand, they are recognized for their thai massage and not foot, so let's just choose what they are good in.

one very common behavior of all masseuse is that they will wait for you to finish collecting your stuff from the locker and as they ushered you out of the door, they were hoping to receive a tip from you.

Would i return? perhaps and it would be a gamble of luck to be assigned a good masseuse. and this time, i would ask for her name. alternatively, there is always a Healthland to rely on.

1  Thank JettingHydrangeas
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Wow!

All I have to say is wow, because I was not expecting that. I read all these top reviews and went there with my wife with high hopes. I wonder if these prominent reviews had brought them a growth, now that they are unable to maintain the same service. It’s a hit or miss, here is what happened:

I made an advance reservation for me and my wife at 4pm. We got there right on time, and then I was told they only have a (male) masseur for me. They did not indicate that to me at the time of the booking. However I had few tight spots in my shoulder and neck, so I was really looking forward to have it taken cared, so uncomfortably went ahead. My wife got a masseuse for her oil massage.

This guy either did not understand a word I said or pretended like he did not, because I showed him my neck and shoulders, pointed the tight spots, yet he spent 90 minutes working on my legs! I had no idea he took 90 minutes as I did not keep track of time, but realized it when he only spend 10 minutes on my shoulders and told me the times up. What a disappointment, I went back to my hotel and got another 1-hour head and shoulder massage.

On the other hand my wife said it was one of the best massages she got in her life. She was extremely satisfied with her masseuse and still talks about it. You take your own risk and go there, because it's a hit or miss. I sensed a bit of arrogance at the front desk, may be it is because now that they have been featured on CNN Travel ect. Also there were lot of return customers, may be they just give special treatment for those, and give us, the new customers, second class treatment. I don't know, whatever it is, I would not go back there, instead stay in the hotel and go back to the masseuse at my hotel, which is convenient and delivers what they advertise for my money.

4  Thank mangkaru
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I have been here on several different trips to Bangkok and have always had a great massage. I have had both a foot massage and a traditional thai massage, and would recommend either. The thai massage is in a small room with a mattress on the floor and the foot massage is in a shared room with multiple chairs, so it definitely is no frills, but the therapists are great. As mentioned in other reviews, not all of them speak English, but I have not had a problem communicating my preferred strength of massage. I will definitely return on my next trip to Bangkok.

It can be a bit hard to find. it is located back from the street across from the BNH hospital.