“In Decline......”

8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“In Decline......”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I used to live in Bangkok and was a Ruen Nuad regular for over 4 years. It used to be small and friendly. I just returned on a short visit to Bangkok and had a very unprofessional and un-relaxing experience. It now appears the place is too busy, and its systems can't cope. It no longer has what made it a great place. I see other reviews here confirm it's now a bit "hit and miss" which s such a shame.

I was about 45 mins into a 90 min massage when the woman from the front desk/reception burst into my private room telling my masseur he had a booking and dragged him away (note that they take the fee upfront so I agree, he had a booking, ME!!) There was no communication with me. She'd brought a replacement masseur who looked a bit confused and dumbfounded. I tried to give it a go for 10 mins but the whole relaxing vibe had been destroyed by the intrusion, the style was different, he didn't know what had been done or not done etc so I excused myself and left.

I've never had such an unprofessional experience at a spa in my travels. If the small, friendly local place is no longer small and friendly then you might as well go to a Healthland or similar - larger, but more professional than that.

If you expect your private room to be private and your massage to be uninterrupted give some other place a go.

Visited February 2013
6 Thank Sean R

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Same massage but higher price :(”
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

1 hour Thai massage is 350b. But normally silom area price is 250/hour.
So this shop is more expensive by 100b.
For me, there is no reason to pay more for the same service.
And some building is under construction next to the shop.
It makes quite noisy...

Tunbridge Wells
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great massage”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Family of 5 had the 1 hour Thai massage. The setting was very peaceful, clean and tidy. All of us enjoyed the experience and would recommend it, especially if you are new to Thai massage. Can be easily combined with food and shopping markets nearby.

Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 111 helpful votes
“Unclean - hit and miss with masseurs 2.5/5.0”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and i decided to try a massage each due to the TA reviews and we were only a 5 minute walk away (staying at the metropolitan) - as well as the price (compared to the metropolitan). On our way we 'bumped' into an elderly Thai man who said the massage places around were not very clean. Well for me that was the overall feeling. There were no pillow cases on the pillows (i needed to ask for 2 towels to cover - the 1st one being dirty) and the beds did not seem very clean either. I found it very hard to relax due to it feeling dirty. The massage man i had was good but seemed to be in a bad mood and it was all over within 45 min or so (i had requested a 1 hour massage). The other issue i had was there was some construction noise next door which didn't assist in relaxing.

On the other hand my wife had a very good masseur (Nid) and she had a much better space in a room with an outside shower out the door. She found it quite good, but also felt it could be cleaner.

Overall i wouldn't return.

Rio Rancho, NM
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Excellent traditional Thai massage”
Reviewed December 15, 2012

I was feeling apprehensive about trying this place based on some of the reviews I read, but both my visits over a three-day period were very positive.

I dropped in without an appointment on a busy Saturday but I still only had to wait five minutes for a massage. The woman at the front desk was friendly and helpful. I chose the 1 1/2 hour traditional Thai massage instead of the two-hour because I wasn't sure how much I would like it.

My therapist, Pom, was amazing. She told me she had 24 years of experience and it was one of the best massages I've ever had. Her English was basic but we were able to communicate well; she was very sensitive to my needs and checked frequently to make sure everything was OK. She really worked out the knots in my body, which sometimes hurt, but I like a really strong, intense massage.

I booked with Pom again a second time for two hours a couple of days later. This was at 10am on a Monday and I was the only client there for most of that time, so if you want a very quiet, peaceful experience, first thing in the morning on a weekday would be a good time to come. I was still a bit sore from the previous massage two days before and she added Tiger Balm and oil to the massage and backed off the intensity a bit on the sore spots to make me more comfortable.

Pom told me she does not recommend the one-hour traditional Thai massage since it is too rushed, so if you are starting out, you could try the 1 1/2 hour massage to see if you like it. If you know you don't like an intense massage, the oil massage may be a better way to go.