“Great location, great accommodations and service, terrific value”

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Ranked #44 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 9, 2011

Where do I start with the praises?...

The location was great, Ploenchit Rd turned out to be smack in the middle of the shopping area - anything from the local malls to the super luxurious designer shops, all within walking distance. I was there right before Christmas so all the shopping centers had lots of Christmas decorations, which gave everything a very festive feel. The hotel is right in front of a BTS SkyTrain stop, so very easy to get around town from there. It can be a bit confusing though if you take a taxi from the airport as the hotel is relatively new and most taxi drivers don't know it - be on the lookout for the white sign on Ploenchit Rd. indicating the entrance to the hotel as it's not immediately visible from the street.

The rooms are plush, luxurious, and very spacious. The decor is contemporary but luxurious and comfortable. The bed was plush yet firm, I got some of the best sleep I've ever had in a hotel anywhere. I wish I could have brought the bed back with me to the US!!!! The bathroom was bright and spacious, it just felt decadent. I loved the glass bathroom with a view into the room. I guess it makes it convenient if you want to watch TV while sitting in the tub.... I got a room on the 18th floor with a city view, nice.
The Fitness Center on the top floor is not to be missed. The equipment and facilities are first class, and the views make you want to extend your workout - not a bad idea after all that yummy Thai food. The Fitness Center staff was friendly and helpful.

Breakfast was good, a big selection of asian and western food. On 3 of the 4 days I was there I had to leave very early in the morning to catch a trip to Kanchanaburi and flights to Chiang Mai and back to the US. The staff kindly offered to pack a breakfast for me since I had to leave before the breakfast spread was open. The breakfast they packed came in a nice container and bag with fruit, croissants, and juice.

The staff and service were top notch. Everyone was very helpful, friendly, and welcoming. I stayed here twice, before and after my trip to Chiang Mai. I paid for my first stay and used Marriott Reward points for my second stay. The staff treated me equally well on both occasions, in fact slightly better on the second stay (which was free using points). They welcomed me as a Marriott Rewards member; the fact that I wasn't paying for the stay didn't change their service or welcoming attitude. They were very forthcoming with recommendations for excellent Thai food, sightseeing, shopping, and massages. The staff and their excellent service made an already excellent stay perfect.

One note of caution (not related to the hotel): if you take a taxi from the hotel, make sure you ask the concierge to clearly explain to the driver where you want to go. My friend and I got a taxi to the airport but the driver got lost (hardly seems possible!), since we didn't speak Thai we were pretty much helpless and ended up being driven around and had to ask for directions a couple of times and almost missed our flights back to the States.

The rate I got (~$110/night) and the number of Marriott Reward points needed (20,000 points/night) were a terrific value. The hotel exceeded all my expectation. I would highly recommend this hotel and will definitely stay here again on my next trip to Bangkok.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank houstonturtle
Write a ReviewReviews (3,520)

Reviewed January 6, 2011

This is my 3rd stay at the Renaissance Bangkok, truly an exceptional hotel. The moment you arrive are greeted by warm, polite staff that expedite your stay. The rooms are luxurious and the bathroom was very nice. Location is perfect with all the major the shopping area within a short walking distance. The BTS station is about 5 minutes walk from the hotel, on one of my stays used the Airport Link train which made me arrive at the hotel in about 35 minutes or so. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting bangkok.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank SalQ
Reviewed January 1, 2011

Yes, ants kept invading my room, but it was my fault - I left a chocolate out on my first night. On my final night, the ants were numerous enough that the hotel offered to relocate me rather than subject me to fumigation.

From top to bottom: this hotel was perfect: beautiful, brand new, impeccably well-located. The executive lounge was dreamy--and those who worked there went above and beyond, even fetching me bircher muesli from the restaurant downstairs and surprising me with cookies one night when they could tell I'd just been through a tough phone call. After that, they always asked how I was doing, and I could tell they meant it.

The furnishings were modern, colorful, and whimsical: exactly how I think the Renaissance brand wants to be known. I can't believe how few guests there were in the hotel. I bet that'll change soon enough. I rested easy, got lots of work done, arrived at all my meetings in plenty of time, and strolled effortlessly through central Bangkok whenever I wanted some fresh air. I can't wait for a reason to go back.

One last note: I've also stayed at the JW Marriott in Bangkok. One word: tired. By comparison the Renaissance isn't just a breath of fresh air, it's a hurricane.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank Alpacalon
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I picked this hotel because I wanted a central location and wanted it to be affordable for my family that would be traveling with us. I am a Marriott Rewards Platinum member and used reward points for this stay. This is one of the best service orientated hotels I have stayed in a long time.

We arrived late into BKK and found the hotel transportation waiting for us that we had arranged with the hotel ahead of time. Very nice large van. When we arrived at the hotel (1am), the front desk was ready and waiting for us. My parents were traveling with us and had booked a room via the internet. The hotel gave us a joining rooms. At check in I selected the cheese platter instead of the points and the hotel was nice to bring both a tray to my room and my parents (first time reward members).

I accidentally plugged a 120v radio into the 220v wall outlet. I blew the circuit breakers in the room. I called down to the front desk and they promptly sent up someone to reset the breakers without a problem.

The rooms are great with firm beds and plenty of outlets. The pool on the top floor was cold and in the shade. If your looking for pool use, this is not the hotel for you. As a Rewards Platinum member I had access to the 21st club room. This is where the real service was exceptional. Happy hour 4:30-8pm and breakfast buffet in the morning. I had made to order eggs the 5 days we stayed. All outstanding and complimentary.

The lobby bar was nice but very expensive. I would not have more than 1 drink there.

My brother and his wife (not reward members) included the breakfast buffet on the 3rd floor with their room. They both gave that a thumbs down and would not recommend it.

The internet is free on the 21st club room but expensive in the rooms. So I would just bring my laptop up to the 21st floor if I wanted internet access.

One of the complaints of this hotel was the location. We found this not to be a problem and the hotel has made small business cards in Thai to explain to cab drivers how to find the hotel. We found the location great because it is away from the busy Bangkok street and much quieter. It is also a short walk to the Sky rail mass transit system.

Our checkout was easy and there were no unexpected charges for anyone in our party that stayed at the hotel. I honestly had a hard time finding anything wrong with our stay and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank USgovt-traveler
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Stayed at the Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel for one night. This relatively new hotel( been open less than a year) is my new favourite hotel in Bangkok. The rooms are fantastic. Love the big deep baths.
The staff are so friendly and attentive.
Excellent breakfast. As I travel a lot, one of the bench marks I use to measure a hotel is quality of their club sandwiches. And their's is one of the best I have had in 25 years of international travel.
Only one minor gripe with the hotel, but it is a gripe I have with a lot of hotels, the price of internet in the the room is extortionate.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 27, 2010

This has now become our favourite hotel in Bangkok and this was our second stay at this hotel in Bangkok which is a first for us as this city has some really good hotels but after being at this hotel feel our quest for a good 5 star hotel in Bangkok is over.
This is extremely well located and very comfortable hotel.The Club lounge is really good with great staff.The Breakfast quality was excellent and i think the best croissants in bangkok are available here for breakfast.
The fitness area is superb and so is the spa which had just about opened.The massage at this spa was really nice and they have a wonderful setting for a couple massage in the evening with all bangkok lights sparkling on the outsideI would definately recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to stay in the centre of bangkok and wants to stay in a 5 star hotel.Looking forward to come back to this hotel soon.The quality of t5his hotel is only improving

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2010

The Renaissance has a good location opposite the Intercontinental. It is close to the shopping centres as well as the metro. The rooms are very comfortable and modern. The price I paid was attractive and it included a voucher to be spend in the hotel on either restaurant or the spa (I choose the spa and enjoyed a very nice massage)

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo