“Outstanding April stay at the Renaissance”

Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel
Ranked #44 of 893 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Stayed at the Renaissance for a long weekend in April. After years as a Hilton loyalist (Hilton Honors Gold), I finally achieved Marriott Gold status so I decided to give this hotel a try to compare service and quality. First, the location is great as it is right next to the Skytrain (Chit Lom station), which means you can take the train to/from the airport assuming you arrive during operating hours. There are SEVERAL large shopping malls around the hotel if that is your thing. Most have large dining halls with reasonably priced food. The neighborhood is clean and safe. The hotel was very clean, staff was very friendly, and the executive lounge was great. As Marriott Gold, breakfast was free and was offered in the main restaurant on the weekend. It was a HUGE buffet where you could get just about anything you could imagine. The executive loung offered free cocktails and hors doeuvres in the evening.

The gym, pool, and spa area are very nice. The pool is indoors. My only desire would have been for an outdoor pool where we could have lounged in the sun after walking around the city for hours.

The hotel is not next to major temples or other sites, so you will need to take the train/metro and or taxi since the city is so huge. We did ride the train to the Chatuchak Weekend Market, which was easy. The trains are cheap and are charged by the distance. I think the most we paid for a 1-way ticket was about 40 baht (just over $1).

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,596)

Reviewed April 10, 2014

As others have pointed out, this hotel has a great location. You can get on the train or access the SkyWalk easily. If it's raining, you only have to walk outside uncovered for a few short steps before ducking into the building next door, which has covered access to the SkyWalk.

The hotel is beautiful, well maintained and very clean. The beds are comfortable. The bathroom was spotless. The towels and linen were plush. Housekeeping is truly amazing at this hotel.

The service was perfect. Flavors restaurant was awesome. The Concierge Lounge was well stocked and staffed. The Internet worked perfectly while I was there. Even the birthday cake they had for me my first night was incredible. (Very nice touch!)

This hotel does everything right. I recommend staying there without any hesitation.

So, that brings me to the point of posting this. Others have previously mentioned this hotels wonderfulness, but the question still remains for this Marriott enthusiast (Plat Premier/Lifetime Plat), the Ren or the JW?

Sorry: can't answer that one. Both have strengths. The Ren wins on modern, cleaner (not that the JW isn't well maintained, but the Ren is spectacular on this), more comfortable beds, nicer bathrooms and pool. The Ren restaurants are little more relaxed, which I prefer but others might not. Both have spectacular service. Access to the train and SkyWalk are a win for the Ren. The JW requires you walk on a dirty, uneven sidewalk/street to get to the train, and you have to ride the train to get to MBK, Central World, etc. The JW has a much better Concierge Lounge. By any standard, the Ren's CL is awesome, except when compared to the JW. It's CL is perhaps the best in the world. It's bigger, has more food selections, has more comfortable seating, has an outside deck and more tables.

Bottom line: both are excellent choices. If the CL matters to you, try the JW. If having a more modern room that is more conveniently located sounds good to you, go with the Ren. For my next visit, I will choose whichever is less expensive, knowing either will provide great accommodation.

Room Tip: I was upgraded to a Jr. Suite at the end of the hall with a large seating area, walk-in closet and l...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Husband and I stayed for 4 nights on our 2 weeks holiday in Thailand. We're frequent travellers to Bangkok (and around the world) and have stayed in many 5 star properties around the globe.

Checked in on a high floor (18th) to a beautiful standard room exactly like in photos with fantastic views of the city. Wifi was not working at first but we left it as we toured the city and thought it was a minor glitch which will be fixed soon enough. After 2 nights, problem still not fixed and we were getting quite annoyed. Wasted much time on the phones with reception and internet provider (there is a speed dial on their phones to internet provider, you tell me why? I'm guessing this glitch is a common occurrence?).

Staff were still helpful and very polite while trying to fix this problem. Quick service recovery by upgrading us to a Studio Suite (minor annoyance as to repacking our luggages to be moved but no big deal). Now the suite is beautiful and spacious but as it is on a lower floor (10th) with such close proximity to the offices opposite, we were not able to open the blinds to the bathroom and some curtains in the bedroom to let natural light in. Again no biggie.

What really annoyed us was when we returned to our suite that night after a big night out, we were locked out of our room!! There was another technical glitch where electricity was down in the room, which means the whole swipe card system with the doors would not work. We were tired and just wanted to rest but were faced with this problem late at night. They did move us to another room to rest but females would understand that we have our nightly regime we can't do without and this was just a huge disruption to our holiday. It was so uncomfortable sleeping in another room without any of my toiletries or change of clothes etc. The next half a day was wasted as we did not get a good rest.

That said, the breakfast was good, huge variety to choose from. The bed is fantastic! Lastly, the pool was a huge disappointment as it was shaded and the water was too cold to swim in. I did use the pool once but that was it, the thought of going back into the freezing water just turned me off.

Overall it is a nice property, very friendly and professional staff and convenient location right infront of BTS but with the many technical glitches we faced, and the many hotel options there are in Bangkok, this hotel may not be worth our return.

Room Tip: Request for higher floors as low floors have too close proximity to buildings next door and unable t...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lyla1
MarkvanderWielen, Assistant Director of Rooms Operations at Renaissance Bangkok Ratchaprasong Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2014

Dear lyla1,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at Renaissance Bangkok in this forum. It saddens me to read that you encountered with some technical issues while staying with us. The Management is aware of the incidents you have addressed and we have taken your comments very seriously.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed the rooms, the breakfast, and the hotel's staff service and trust that the incidents didn't spoil the overall view of Bangkok and our hotels.

We hope that you will come back to Bangkok and stay with us in the future. Please kindly contact me at thanida.p@renaissancehotels.com if you do.

Until then, safe journey ahead.

Kind regards,

Thanida Pisarn
Assistant Director of Rooms Operations

Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Stayed at the Marriott Renaissance for 5 nights. Hotel is right on the sky train station at Chit Lom. Perfect for excellent shopping, many restaurants and you can walk along on the SkyTrain platform in the shade. Wonderful staff at the front desk and in the restaurant on the second floor. Will stay here again. For us it was certainly a five star experience.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights in mid-March on our first trip to Bangkok and were delighted by our choice.Our room was on the club level and was spacious, well-appointed and immaculately clean with a lovely view of the city and the Royal Bangkok Sports Club. The hotel is wonderfully close to Siam Center, Central World and other major shopping areas, and its proximity to the BTS Skytrain station at Chit Lom makes it an easy walk or train ride to all the city's major sights. After a day of frenetic shopping or sightseeing in this bustling metropolis, the Renaissance provided an oasis of calm and refreshment. We found every staff member to be warm, hospitable, and eager to assist with information or advice. We likewise sampled each of the hotel's restaurants and found them to be excellent, so while there were loads of eating options just outside the hotel, you really didn't have to venture out to enjoy excellent cuisine. In all, the Renaissance provided a delightful experience--and when we go back to Bangkok, this will be our choice.

Room Tip: The club floor was a real treat.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank froamer
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I have stayed for eight (8) nights at this property/hotel and have chosen to stay at the club floor which comes with the Executive Lounge benefits. Check-in was quick and efficient. I was given a room at the high floor which has a beautiful view of the city. Room is well decorated, spacious and clean. Room amenities are of the first class quality. There is turndown service everyday to ensure bottled waters, bath gels, shampoos and conditioners are refilled. The Executive Lounge is exclusively decorated and has a wonderful ambience. Breakfast is served at the Flavors restaurant; which has an enormous selections of food and beverage. Afternoon tea is served between 3pm to 5pm; which has tasty scones, sandwiches and cakes. Evening cocktails starts at 4:30pm till 8:30pm with free-flow of beers, red and white wines. They even serves made to order cocktails such as Margaritas, Mojitos and Cosmopolitan; just to name a few. Finger food and canapés are served between 6pm to 8pm.

Staffs at the Executive Lounge and Flavors are very professional, polite, helpful and attentive. I will definitely stay at this hotel again in my next visit to Bangkok. I would highly recommend this hotel to all of you.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank TEN101010
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I stayed at the Renaissance Bangkok over the weekend and was delighted with the service, hotel interiors, and the spacious rooms that I got. You will appreciate the nifty and stylish interiors but I did not enjoy the sheltered indoor-style swimming pool -- thailand has so much sun so I was a little disappointed with that.

If you are not planning to soak up and catch some sun sometimes during your stay there, you will not be disappointed. :)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family