“Want a change from Wats?”

Siriraj Medical Museum
Ranked #51 of 599 things to do in Bangkok
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I don't mind a bit of the maccabre even if I'm squirming. The info was in the Chao Phraya tourist boat brochure. We'd seen the pretty stuff so now for something completely different. If you miss the first Museum sign it's hard to find but a hospital staff member gave us directions. Bit pricey for very little in English language description but what can one do. I felt very sad looking at the babies in the jars, with their sad little expressions, and a life not meant to be. Other parts though made me appreciate my body and just being alive.

1  Thank roznkaz
"various stages"
in 4 reviews
"an eye opener"

Reviewed February 13, 2014

The Siriraj Medical Museum is a medical museum in the Siriraj Hospital Bangkok that is sometimes called the Museum of Death. There are a lot of different displays here including the mummified remains of Thailand’s first serial killer Si Oeuy Sae Urng.

He preyed on children, killing them and eating their flesh in the 1950’s. You can see see a lot of different body parts and skulls which are from various murders.

This museum is an important learning tool for medical professionals and also includes displays on Anatomy, Toxicology, Forensics, Congenital disorders and Pathology.

From photos I have seen on the internet I do not think we saw all the displays, there was no one around to ask where we could or could not go but we all agree that what we did see was enough.

This place is not for everyone but if you are looking for something different to see then it is worth a trip.

3  Thank Cathy&Gary
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

frightened by those samples. but in this way we cherish we are alive

2  Thank guyup
Reviewed January 26, 2014

Really interesting museum in bangkok's hospital. In fact it's 3 museums in one. Lots of cool stuff to see but be warned some of it is fairly graphic. Very glad we went.

1  Thank annamaple1
See more reviews
Reviewed January 24, 2014

This Siriraj Medical Museum is a MUST SEE for anyone who is interested in medicine / pathology or for abortion supporters as they have human fetuses (or babies or whatever the politically correct term is for the unborn now) displayed in jars to show you what they look like at different stages of pregnancy plus there are all sorts of other organs on display as well - some that have been damaged by gun shot or knife wounds or those belonging to people who abused their bodies e.g. diseased livers or those with cirrhosis because the person had been an alcoholic. There is another section dedicated to parasitology plus they also have a few Siamese twins and mummified rapist/murderers who were executed on display - meaning the museum is NOT for the squeamish.

I think alot of the detailed text is in Thai but the important text is in English for the main museum to at least tell you what the organs are. I don't think they have organized tours of any kind (would be good if they did) but it might be more interesting if you are or were with a medical professional to explain some of what you are looking at.

I don't think the place is hard to find but I may have had an easier time finding it from the boat dock this time around because I had gone there during the bad floods a few years ago and it was closed. There are signs up as well but you still may need to say "museum" to any guards or staff you see to help you get your bearings as the hospital complex itself is huge - the size of a city university campus...

However, just remember the Siriraj Medical Museum is technically 3 or 4 museums scattered throughout the hospital complex BUT the most interesting stuff is concentrated in the main museum (they will give you a little booklet I think) and you may or may not want to have lunch before or after visiting!

2  Thank EmergingMarketSkptc