“Still good but not as before”
Review of OPUS Wine Bar

OPUS Wine Bar
Ranked #60 of 11,259 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Silom
Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

This is our 3rd time to Opus and the first time back in two years as we live in Tokyo. Tonight's meal was good quality, tasty and the service was fantastic. However, we felt that somehow it was not as great as the initial visits we had a couple of years ago. Thus, we are re-rating with 4 stars instead of 5. Still a solid choice for Italian in Bangkok and would return.

1  Thank zousan

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Located in an building, set back from the road, on a side street running between 2 major thoroughfares and close to Surasak BTS station makes it easy to locate by either car or public transport.

I had called the restaurant earlier to reserve a table, upon arriving the ground floor was very busy and we were offered a table by the door....not quite what I was expecting . I was offered a alternative table on the second floor. I believe this room has only recently been opened, it's less buzzing than ground floor room but this suited my guests and me.
This is a very smart but relaxed dining room with access to a spacious veranda with comfortable seating where guests can enjoy a post meal coffee.

I'm often dissatisfied with the selection of Italian restaurants in Bangkok, somehow they rarely pull off what they set out to achieve and the food often excels at style over content. Fortunately this was not my experience with Opus!
The menu has a good range of options covering classics and dishes with slight twists to them. Clearly laid out and not overly fussy with Starters, Pastas and Risottos and Main course represented.
We chose to share the mixed Opus starter which was perfect for the three of us.
Main course selections were baby roast chicken, grilled tenderloin steak and Sea Bass. Only the Sea Bass disappointed in being somewhat bland.
We all enjoyed the food with everyone commenting on the quality of ingredients and deft preparation.

The wine list as mentioned in previous reviews is impressive in it's depth and breadth of regions represented. It was however I feel expensive with nothing below 1500 baht (50 USD) a bottle. We chose wine by the glass to match our dishes and I feel this option worked well for us, although at 390 baht for a glass of Primitivo (lovely as it was,) I still feel this was somewhat over priced
Some other disappointments were the selection of breads, everything felt tired and lacked the finesse of the food.
Likewise the espressos we finished with were lacking in flavour and somewhat watery.

The Chef Patron Davide visited our table and was able to accommodate our requests, he was friendly and I felt genuinely happy to help.
The service from the waiting staff was good rather than great as they struggled with requests that deviated from ordering items from the menu. Not terrible but could be improved

I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this restaurant be it for Business, Special occasions or just an enjoyable lunch.
The quality of the food and overall experience makes this a great choice and very welcome addition to dining in Bangkok

1  Thank Waveboi
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff and very good vine. A bit more expensive than first thought. 1700 bath for four glasses of vine. But a very nice place

1  Thank Duranduranna
Reviewed January 11, 2014

this Italian restaurant is just the best in town...
great food, superb wine selection, very friendly service and a great ambiance.
During our 2-week visit in Bangkok, we went here 4 times....
I really can recommend this place to everybody, centrally located between Sathorn and Silom.

3  Thank hansamsterdam24
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We just ate at Opus. Didn't book and were lucky to get in on Sat night. Suggest you book to be certain of getting a table. Nice setting and a 5 min walk from Skytrain or Eastin Grand Hotel where we are staying. Service is fantastic with heaps of staff waiting to be as attentive as possible. Complimentary bread selection to start. We ordered the shared Tapas for 2 as an entree and it was very tasty. Presentation of both mains was good. I had the Sea Bass and it was succulent. Wife had the salmon salad and she enjoyed it. Two desserts and one coffee. Big wine selection and we had a nice bottle of white. Complimentary lumincello to finish. Total including 7%Vat and 10% Service charge was $137AUD which included the wine which was $50AUD. You can eat cheaply in Bangkok but if you looking for somewhere nice you cannot go wrong at Opus.

2  Thank Mark S