“Not as good as expected” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Philippe Restaurant

Philippe Restaurant
Ranked #469 of 10,626 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: Philippe Restaurant is regarded as one of the finest French Restaurants in Bangkok. Opened in 1998, Philippe has dedicated himself to excellence in French culinary art. The restaurant is highly recommended by both local and overseas press, and recognized by a variety of food critics and top magazines. Voted one of the top French restaurants by Metro Magazine, "Most favorite French Restaurant" by American Express, and received high accolades by food critics from the Bangkok Post and Time Out magazine, Philippe Restaurant was awarded "The Best Restaurant of the Year" by the Tatler's magazine again in 2008 and 2009.
Bangkok, Thailand
“Not as good as expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

My sister and I visited this restaurant with a high hope for good French dishes. It did not exactly turn out to be that. The food was so average, especially for the price we had to pay. The service was also average - a waitress even could not understand a simple French word related to food! There are many other restaurants that serve better French food and provide better service. Maybe it was because we were there on the day that the head chef was taking his day off.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Bangkok, Thailand
“Expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Little bit disappointed for this time . Quite expensive for what we have . But I will come back in my next trip to see improvement .

• Visited September 2013
Bangkok
“Good food but very expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

Our family dinner at Philippe was everything I had expected to be. The food was extraordinary, the service was top notch and the bill was astronomical.
Philippe is located in busy Sukhumvit Soi 39. If you drive too fast, you'll go past it like I did. It just right on the street, though the small sign and dimly lit entrance kind of obscured the place. There is some parking spaces but not a lot, so arrive early.
Once inside, you get the feeling your inside some rich Frenchman's home. I love the dark-wallpaper decor reminiscent of old French mansions, as well as the second floor dining area where we were seated. The tableware and cutlery were all very elegant.
Our group had a wide range of dishes from the menu. For me, it was the salad with blue cheese dressing and the grilled sea bass. The salad was truly remarkable, with a blue cheese dressing that I did not know could be this good. The chef added some other ingredients to tone down the pungent aroma and it worked beautifully. The endive was big and crispy. The sea bass for me fared much less better. Though it was grilled to perfection, I thought the sweet caramel(?) glaze that the meat was covered in was funny and not to my liking. The family reported reported that other dishes they had came through fine, with the oxtail stew scoring top points.
The service was superb. The staff was attentive and always around when you needed something. The head waiter was conversational, helpful and utterly charming. The service here ranked up there with the best hotels in Bangkok.
As I mentioned in the heading, the food here is expensive. Starters usually went well over 1,000 baht per dish. Some main courses got up close to 2,000. This is not a casual dining restaurant, to be sure, but save it for a very special occasion. You will need to already have saved some money to dine here, but it will be worth it for many.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chattan_k
“Bangkoks finest french cuisine rates at par with the worlds best!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

Visited phillipe on jul 4 for dinner with family - the service was superb, the entrees main course and desert fabulous. Try the foie gras (with figs) and the duck confit with raspberry coulis - explosion of flavours in your mouth ! From the lemon sorbet as a palate cleanser to the lavender creme brulee must say we had a fantastic meal - dinner for 4 with a bottle of great rose cost us about 7400 bht

• Visited July 2013
Thailand
“Best French restaurant and steak in Bangkok”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

We eat out a lot in Bangkok and are always looking for the latest restaurant - I read a great review on Philippe so we thought we would check it out. We went on a Sunday night and the restaurant was busy (always a good sign). The staff couldn't do enough for us despite it being busy. The wine selection is great and really great value. And then there was the food. OMG. By far the best steak I have had in Bangkok and that is in comparison to the Marriott steakhouse and the Hilton On the river. We asked the chef for Roquefort cheese sauce with the steak which wasn't on the menu - it was no problem and absolutely delicious. I lived in France for seven years and will be going back here again and again.

Visited June 2013