“Great price for location”

On8 Sukhumvit Nana By Compass Hospitality
Ranked #172 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great price for location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

Definitely recommend On8 for a stay in Bangkok. Spent 1 1/2 days in Bangkok solo in between flights and based on recommendations on Trip Advisor decided to check it out. It was clean, staff was helpful (particularly Pong, bell boy), bed was super-comfy, bathroom was a great size. Although it was a little weird not to be able to see out the frosted glass window, not a big deal since I didn't spend that much time in the room. Although I didn't travel with a computer, they had a couple lap tops set up in the lobby and cafe to look things up.

Would print out the directions from hotel web site to give to driver at hotel. Front entrance is the restaurant/cafe on Sukhumvit - you can get to the lobby by walking through the restaurant (or having cab drop you off around the alley).

Steps away from the BTS Sky Train, which is perfect for getting around Bangkok.

Only complaint would be the breakfast, the only place I stayed during my 3 week trip where noodle soup was not offered. Only offered western style breakfast items, which was fine, but would be nice it traditional Thai breakfast items were also available.

When in Bangkok, check out one of the malls and hit the foodcourt for an inexpensive but very tasty meal! Also if you get the chance and want to get off the traditional tourist loop, go check out the Arts of the Kingdom exhibit at the Dusit Palace and Jim Thompson's house (house is super easy to get to via sky train).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Walailuk_C, manager at On8 Sukhumvit Nana By Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, March 5, 2010
Dear cipindc 10 contributions
WDC
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback with us through Trip advisor
We acknowledge your concerns regarding the selection of food served at breakfast that we welcome suggestions such as yours as they indicate the areas where we can further improve.
For all your valued feedback, we have noted for our improvement. We hope to be able to welcome you again and have another opportunity to serve your better.

On8 Sukhumvti Bangkok

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Lancing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2010

We stayed at On8 for 3 nights at the beginning of our trip in Thailand. We got the airport bus which drops you off opposite the hotel. It was late at night though when we arrived and we couldn't spot the hotel so ended up getting a taxi - the next morning we realised we just needed to cross over the road via Nana bts station so I think the hotel should consider putting up a large sign higher up on the building so guests can easily spot it!

The hotel was well designed and we liked the choice of decor, for once the room was as nice as the lobby! We ordered room service on our first night as we were tired after our flight and the long journey on the bus to Sukhumvit. In hindsight I think we should have just got a taxi straight from the airport as the bus was 150 baht each, a taxi should cost around 300 baht and is much more convenient. Anyway, we ordered the burger and spring rolls and both items were tasty and also quite cheap for room service.

Breakfast was ok, the cooked breakfast wasn't much to get excited about but there was plenty of bread for toast and numerous pastries, along with cereals, fruits and juices - enough to get you started for the day and a bonus being free. You eat breakfast in the hotels own cafe which is open to non-guests so it can get busy there in the morning. I think in the evening they have a discount as it is much quieter then. We had lunch there before going to the airport at the end of our stay, the food was good if not a bit slow!

The room was a decent size and the bathroom was modern and large. The only downside was that there is opaque glass so in the night if you get up you flood the bedroom with light from the bathroom! We also found it a bit odd sleeping in a room with no windows. I think it was just about ok for a 3 night stay as towards the end we were finding it hard to wake in the morning with no natural light coming in.

We found the staff to be helpful and pleasant and very polite, and there was always someone around to help you. Another great feature was the free internet and also the use of a laptop in the lobby area and also another in the cafe, great for checking travel details and emails! The location of the hotel is also very handy as the skytrain (bts) stop Nana is right on your doorstep! Traffic is very bad in Bangkok so we found using the skytrain to be the best way to get around.

Overall I would recommend staying here, we stayed at the Amari Watergate at the end of our trip in Thailand and really missed having a skytrain stop nearby.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear ZoeGreg 11 contributions
China
Thank you so much for taking the time to share us your valued comments during your recent visit. While we strive to maintain the highest customer satisfaction standards, monitoring our effectiveness can be a challenge at times. We welcome suggestions such as yours as they indicate the areas where we can further improve.
We have noted your observations and recommendations for improvements to On8. We will continue in our improvement efforts to provide excellent service and products to our guests.

Warm Regards

Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2010

Based on TripAdvisor recommendations, we booked the Saffron room at On8 for our initial arrival in Bangkok. A wonderful modern hotel with excellent, helpful staff, it's in a great location right next to the BTS Nana station. In the hustle and bustle of noisy Bangkok, our room was a quiet oasis. Until we returned for a second visit before we left Thailand, we didn't fully appreciate the comfort of the bed. No rock hard Asian bed here at On8...we slept so well on their comfortable mattress and would definitely return if we visited Bangkok again!

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear SMFtraveller 4 contributions
Sacramento, CA
We are truly happy to know that our products and services met your expectation and encourage you to come back to us in the future. We will do our best to ensure that you will have the similar experience for your next visit.

We look forward to the day when we can welcome you once again.

Glasgow, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2010

I found this hotel excellent value for money and situated in a very convenient location.

Stayed in one of the larger rooms, which I found very comfortable. Complimentary breakfasts were of a high standard and are served in the very relaxing coffee shop area of hotel. I found the free wi-fi worked very well.

Staff were friendly, attentive and very professional.

I have no complaints about my stay, and if I return to Bangkok I will stay again at the On8.

TIp: There's a map on hotel web-site to print off to show your taxi driver the hotel location.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights during our time in Thailand in early February - and we were very impressed with this hotel! We booked the Amber room for the first 3 nights - which was one of the larger floor plans and still at a very reasonable price. (I think it was book 3 nights for the price of 2). On our last night (which was just for a short layover in bangkok to catch our flight home), we booked one of the standard rooms - which was small with no window, but still good value. I am really glad we booked the Amber room for our first 3 nights - plenty of space for us and a nice bathroom. The window was frosted glass, which was perfect for privacy - and brought natural light into the room.

Staff was very friendly and polite - we had excellent service and they seemed very intent on making sure we had a pleasant stay. Breakfast was also good, with a nice selection of the standard western fare. Location was right at the Nana skytrain station - which was sooooo convenient. Definitely an important plus for this hotel.

To be sure - this place is not a 5 star hotel - but the price, service, location, and modern stylings make up for it. I would highly recommend this place to someone looking for a convenient place to stay in Bangkok at an excellent price. Definitely would stay here again if I find myself in Bangkok in the future.

*One last note - might be hard for your taxi to find. When you make the turn on to Soi 8 from Sukumvit - look to your right. The hotel entrance (for cars) is located at the end of an alley off of Soi 8 - very close to Sukumvit.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Arubabride903
Walailuk_C, manager at On8 Sukhumvit Nana By Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, February 25, 2010
Dear Arubabride903 8 contributions
Chicago

Thank you for your words of appreciation for our room and the staff. It brings us great pleasure when our hard efforts to satisfy our guests are appreciated and remembered.
We all send our regards and appreciation to you for the recognition as well.

We look forward to the day when we can welcome you once again.

Warm Regards,

Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2010

The On8 hotel is generally good value for the money, is in a strategically-excellent part of Bangkok close to touristy-type amenities and business outlets, but it is not without its faults. There are few, if any, windows in rooms, more an opaque glass screen. That may not be a strong negative point for some, but it's relevant, considering that the hotel blurb and pictures neatly avoid mentioning this. The breakfast is fine, if a bit bland. Plus, the Wi-Fi works well when the handyman-technician sorts it out, which I was impressed with. However, and unfortunately on the negative side, the staff need to be sorted out; I wanted a 5:00 a.m. wake-up call on my last day, and a taxi to the airport ordering for 6:00 a.m. Neither happened, but luckily I had already packed and I woke up at 5:30 by pure chance, and made it to the airport in good time. There was absolutely no point in giving the morning staff a hard time, as they weren't on shift when I booked these basicx requests, and in any case they were just trying to do their jobs at the time. I did, however, politely voice my displeasure. But, nonetheless, a hotel places its reputation on at least getting the basics right, which wasn't the case for me in this instance. Looks like being back to the Ramada D'MA for me in July then.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank DoctorDarkeDerby
Walailuk_C, Manager at On8 Sukhumvit Nana By Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, February 16, 2010
Dear DoctorDarkeDerby 1 contribution
Derby

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback on Trip advisor.
We are truly sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. We would like to assure you that we will personally addressed this issue with the staff concerned and will ensure that he/she receives the necessary guidance to perform a much better role moving forward to avoid a recurrence of this incident.
Unfortunately, there is no way of recreating the past or reversing the unpleasant incident you experienced. However, we can assure you that we value your feedback and your feedback has been utilized to improve our service and communication.
Once again, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you again, giving us another opportunity to serve you better.

On8 Sukhumvit
Nusa Dua, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2010

I have to say my pre-checkin expectations of this hotel were high given their #17 rating. I was slightly disappointed as:
1. I agree with d other reviewer that occasionally there was DEFINITELY a strong smell of sewerage in d lobby - thankfully I didnt smell it in d corridors;
2. for "farangs" d continental breakfast would have been "great," "fantastic" but others (Asian guests like me or maybe even more adventurous farangs) would like some Thai fare such as noodles or congee;
3. popularity is a two-edged sword, n I was only allowed an additional hour late check-out;
4. d shower door in my room was slightly ajar- they couldnt fix it - wet wet wet;
5. glazed windows take a little getting used to (even tho I know theres nothing to look at outside);
6. d level of service was only competent at reception - a woman rang me at 12PM asking me why I hadnt checked out, she was quite rude n didnt believe me when I said I had been given d paltry 1 additional hour - asked me who "approved" my additional hour..

Somehow, I cant help wondering, all those reviews.. Maybe service is better for "farangs"...

Still overall plus points:-
1. Excellent location, second to none;
2. Room cleaning spotless; staff at coffee house very friendly even when I used d place as walk through short-cut from BTS several times daily;
3. Free Wi-Fi in room very useful;
4. Shower water pressure/ space a bonus;
5. Hardly any outside noise.
6. Very comfortable, firm bed;
7. Almost 100 channels on d TV;
8. Overall, very comfortable room...very good value...

Overall, I will come back to stay here....

P.S. Avoid Baan Dalah Spa (I wasnt impressed - cramped, not great massage). Try Lavana Spa on Soi 12 (same as King & I, just further 100m in) - Lavana is spacious, reasonably priced, excellent massage- heavenly...best in Bangkok...

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank rollingstone66
Dear rollingstone66 4 contributions
Malaysia

We would like to apologies for the disappointing stay you had with us. We also appreciate that you have given us opportunity to address this issue with the staff concerned and will ensure that he/she receives the necessary guidance to perform a much better role moving forward to avoid a recurrence of this incident.
For all your valued feedback, we have noted for our improvement. Please be assured that we will coordinate the plans for these enhancements with the respective team members. We seek your patience and understanding as the recommendations may require time to be implemented