“Just ok”
Review of Paradise Sukhumvit

Paradise Sukhumvit
Ranked #792 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The staff are very hospitable and friendly so this is the biggest draw card the hotel has. Here are the cons: Far from everything. You need a taxi to get to the sky train then it's several stops to the main areas. Our rooms aircon made the room smell like cigarettes. Breakfast is not the greatest. The pool was a weird murky colour and scared us from swimming in it. The rooms are comfy and furnished well but blinds really need replacing, loathed having to touch them each morning. Weirdly one night 2 young men opened our locked door and went to come in before my boyfriend scared them off.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AALouise

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I booked based on the reviews on this site, as I needed to find a reasonably priced hotel close to my dental clinic.

The saying "You get what you pay for" applies here. When I first arrived, I was pleased with the check in and my room (standard hotel options with air conditioning, bar fridge etc). No iron or ironing board, but okay.

What was seriously funky was the restaurant - in retro sixties style and only big enough to seat about 15. It is by far, my favourite place in the whole hotel. That is because the pool, on the roof, was littered with bottles and other rubbish, and had only two chairs upon which to sit, and trays and bedding were left in corridors for hours/days at a time.

The air conditioning unit is very noisy but on a positive note, it does drown out the street below. The tv has many, many channels (only two of which are in English, the rest dubbed into Thai), so no entertainment there.

During my 5 day stay, I had only cool water in the bathroom, but the staff did their best to provide a good service - fixing the lamps that did not work in my room, and helping me to open my safe, despite being hampered by what appeared to be dis-organisation and a lack of supervision.

The biggest hindrance was that it was a considerable distance to the Skytrain, and although I walked it on the first day, which took a long time, I ended up having to spend money on taxis which bit into my budget. There were no bikes, moto taxis, tuk-tuks or songthiews to be had, so be prepared to spend time trying to get around.

If you are looking for budget (a level slightly higher than a backpackers) then this is fine. Just don't expect any frills - like hot water!

Room Tip: Ask for one with hot water.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank Marijke L
Reviewed November 29, 2013

We stayed here a week 'cause we got a really good deal on booking.com. We didn't know anything about the area, since we usually stay at Banglamphu. The hotel is really nice, the room was big and the beds amazing. There is a pool on the roof, but only two chairs for tanning... (?) And there really is a small gym, but the machines are for "tiny people": my boyfriend is 185cm and the machines were too small for him. We didn't have breakfast included, so we tried once in the "restaurant" and all I can say is don't bother.

The hotel is relatively far away from EVERYTHING. There are places to eat after you walk a kilometer or two, or if you take a taxi everytime you leave the hotel... And all the restaurants around Sukhumvit area are reaylly expensive (for Thailand) and they add 10% tax and then 7% service fee to the bill. Nice. Also no thai food around, so if you wanna forget you are in Thailand, maybe this is the place for you.

Would not stay again, but just because of the area. The hotel itself is nice, the location is not.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Wyrren
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed here recently for a week. Our rate included breakfast, which is quite good and is a buffet when there are enough customers staying at the hotel, which was only once in our case--the last day. The room is of a high standard and the hotel was recently renovated. The hotel provides a shuttle which was, unfortunately, not working while we were there, so I can't comment on its quality and reliability. The hotel has a small swimming pool on the roof and the food in the restaurant is quite good and reasonably priced. The taxi ride to the Ekamai BTS costs 45 baht and takes 6-10 minutes depending upon traffic. The room had a bathtub, not just a shower, which I quite like, though it takes ages to fill up. Certainly a good place to stay in Bangkok if you don't mind the taxi ride to the BTS. We walked it once and it took about 45 minutes.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank John Traveller
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We used to live very close to this hotel, so we were very comfortable here and stayed 7 nights. Recently remodeled and upgraded with an attentive and helpful staff, this property will be where we stay while visiting Bangkok from now on. For me, it is located very conveniently with easy access to two BTS stations, bus lines, moto taxis, and buses. Easy to get a taxi right in front of the hotel. Though not fancy, the in-house restaurant has some tasty food at reasonable prices. The bed and pillows were very comfortable and the wifi was FAST! This is a quiet Soi, so your room will always be quiet. The only possible downside is the limited parking area if you have a car, but we never had a problem. A VERY affordable retreat indeed. A special thanks to the staff too!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 49er_Mike
Reviewed February 14, 2013

I've stayed with Varindavan Park three times in the last 2 years, and I've had great experiences all around. It's situated in Ekkamai soi 12, and close to 2 BTS Sky Train stations, which are easily accessible by motorcycle taxi, taxicab, or even a 15 minute walk, though the traffic can be kind of busy at times. The surrounding areas feature quaint and tasty restaurants and boutique shops, and it's also close to several really cheap and tasty restaurants. It's about a 10 minute walk away from the busy Thong Lo 10 area, which is nice, and has several shops, restaurants, and the 24 hour open FoodLand supermarket.

The hotel itself is clean and homely. Front desk staff are lively and very helpful. Rooms are suite-style or apartment style, featuring hard-wood or cherry wood accents, appropriate lighting, and decorated very simply. They have an attached complete bathroom, including bathtub (jacuzzi) and standing shower. I've always ended up getting a room that faced the back side of the hotel, so there is not much of a beautiful view, but it was sufficient for my needs and length of stay. There is air conditioning and free wifi included, along with some cable TV channels. The area surrounding the hotel is extremely tranquil at night, so you will get a good night's sleep without the disturbance of too many traffic noises. The curtain shades let in a phenomenal amount of light in the morniings after the sun rises, so it's almost not necessary to turn on the light switch. The only thing I could have asked for is an included breakfast, but there are places close by to eat as well.

There are a few concierge staff that help you outside if you need a taxi, or help to tell the taxi driver your destination in Thai. I always have a departure flight around 3AM, so they were very helpful in finding a taxi for me during such non-peak hours. Also in the lobby, there is a full service massage parlor with service hours until 11pm or midnight. It was really welcoming, convenient and worth the price when I needed it.

Definitely don't stay here if you are looking for a luxurious spa or pampering type experience. This is otherwise a really comfortable and budget friendly hotel that will meet your needs for a few days in Bangkok.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank HP2901
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I had a wonderful time at Varindavan Hotel. We booked online through agoda and got a fantastic price considering the high standard of the hotel.

The apartment style rooms are extremely clean and because the rooms are so peaceful (complete silence), you can really get a good nights sleep in the large comfortable bed. Everything you need is in the room with separate bathroom, hair-dryers, iron and ironing-board etc, fridge. It's a little way out from the center of Bangkok, so it's a welcome peaceful break from all the fast paced hustle and bustle. Once you get inside the hotel, you feel relaxed. It really is great value compared to the other hotels in Bangkok.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. On our visits to Thailand, we usually only pass through Bangkok, but this time we decided to stay for 3 nights to look around the city.

The Ekammai Sky-train station is quite a walk, but only a very minor dis-satisfaction as everything else was perfect.

Thank you to the staff of Varindavan for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor and found the room very peaceful, but it's generally a peaceful area
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple