“Great base from which to explore Bangkok!”

Padi Madi Guest House
Ranked #151 of 667 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Great base from which to explore Bangkok!”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I had a lovely 3 day/2 night stay at Padi Madi in June. The location is amazing, around the corner from the BTS Sukhumvit line and 15 mins walk from great shopping at Emporium and Terminal 21. The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to help me carry my bags up the stairs and recommend a local place where I could get my suitcase fixed when it broke.

The rooms are small but clean, nicely furnished. A bit noisy from traffic so if you are a light sleeper bring ear plugs. There are amazing food options very close to the guesthouse. I will definitely be back!

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank NinjaTourist
Pimmy T, Manager at Padi Madi Guest House, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are very happy you enjoy your stay with us.

As you mention on your review, our guest house is close to the busy Sukhumvit road and that make us a great location, really 10 seconds walk from Sky train (BTS Thonglor).

Pimmy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Stayed here for four nights. Standard room size is better than I imagined, spacious and comfortable. Very near to Thong Lo BTS station, A lot of food stalls available around this area, including a food street (Soi 38) at night and a famous mango sticky rice shop nearby. There is a share fridge and microwave to use. Need to walk up two floor to the rooms, bad for those who plan to do a lot of shopping in Bangkok. Overall a great place to stay, will definitely go back!

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank jeanyfc
Pimmy T, Manager at Padi Madi Guest House, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thank you for your warm review! We are very happy you enjoy your stay with us.
Regarding our standard rooms, we have upgraded all our beds begin of May. Now, all our Standard Double Rooms have queen size bed. Also we still have Standard Single Room for single traveler with double bed.
I hope our old and new guests will appreciate.
Beijing, China
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Used to be quite ok 2 years ago. But is pretty run down now, and the bed sheets were dirty as was the floor towel in the bathroom.
The receptionist was very unfriendly and uninterested when we asked for the possibility to take a shower before our evening flight.We payed for an extra night in the end, which is kind of ok, but she didn't seem to be willing to help us at all until she recognized we would also pay for a room if there was no other possibility.
As others said before the best thing about this Hotel is the location next to the skytrain. Other than that I wouldn't recommend to stay here. I'm sure there are cleaner Hotels with friendlier service (this can't be too hard in Thailand) and good location for a similar price in Bangkok.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Pimmy T, Owner at Padi Madi Guest House, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your review that help us to improve our services. Regarding our staff, we usually get good reviews and our guests feel mostly that we are friendly and useful. Personally, I love Bangkok and Thailand and I try to do my best to give information and make the stay of our guest the most pleasant I can.I sorry that was not the case, I have talked with our receptionist, she told me that she was not specialty unfriendly... Regarding our bed sheet and following your review, I check all the bed sheets my self. I noticed some are used a bit (normal used) but none are dirty. We make our laundry our self. Also, we just upgrade beds in our rooms and bought new bed sheets in the same time. As owner of Padi Madi, I cannot accept an hygienic issue. For our future guest, in case, you encounter any issue in the room, just contact our staff. We are here to answer to all your requests, help you during your stay and fix any issue.

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I stayed there for 3 nights. The location is great, near to the BTS, with easy access to the rest of Bangkok. Staff, speaking perfect english, was really friendly, provided with me with great value advices and even helped me to arrange the rest of my trip. It is always good to get advices from locals.

The room was nice and clean, Although Thonglor is not a quiet place (as most places in Bangkok), it was not noisy and I had a very good sleep there.

A great place for visiting Bangkok !

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Eric1974L
Pimmy T, Owner at Padi Madi Guest House, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thanks you for your review. We are located just near Sukhumvit, 10 seconds walk from the Skytrain, that's give our a perfect location for visiting Bangkok but in the same time as you said you are in the busy heart of Bangkok.
Carquefou
Reviewed April 9, 2012

This guest house was very clean and comfortable for its reasonable price. The location near the Skytrain (30 seconds walk) was very convenient to reach all the best shopping spots of Bangkok. The staff was polite and very helpful. They advice us the quickest way to get attractions around here, get some good food (good street food, just 2 min walk from the hotel), and good massage also. Internet Wifi was free and fast! Overall, I was very happy with my stay at Padi Madi on this budget price and definitely will come back again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank rcraponne
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I stayed here Dec 31 to Jan 1 2012. I was here for 1 night & it was 1 night too many! This place terrible! Narrow, musty smelling cramped box car rooms with a double bed. (I’ve stayed at a lot of guesthouses but never slept on a bed like this.) The bed felt like a box spring without a mattress. In room tiny safe ~ which would be fine if it was secured to the floor.

The woman was a bit testy. (I had to ask the woman to show me how to lock the room safe 2 times. ~ It wouldn’t lock.) She had to walk up the 4 flights 2 times and was clearly annoyed. She rudely told me “why don’t I just leave it unlocked… nobody here would steal my money!! (She was thinking money – I was thinking passport?) WTF?

The TV in my room was a 10 inch screen which was secured to the sealing. You could hardly see it. My room had only one TV channel. There is free slowish Wifi.

No lift & it’s a killer! I had to climb 4 flights of steps to my room. I don’t think there are any rooms lower floors if you notice the floor plan as you walk up the steps. *No railing on the first flight near the lobby so balance yourself with your luggage as you’re on your own.

The hotel is stifling hot. My room had an A/C but it sounded exactly like the roar of a jet airplane engine. The noise from the A/C kept interrupting my sleep. Every 2 hours I’d turn the A/C off for an engine roar break but the soaring heat forced me to turn it back on intermittently through out the night.

When I checked in the room it looked clean enough. I didn’t see bugs. When I woke-up the next morning I couldn’t help but notice the top of the desk was moving. Little creatures (insects) were scurrying over the desk coming out of a little mountain of bugs.

Upon checking out the lady was on shift at the desk… (The deal with guesthouses is that the desk doesn’t have to check the room & this saves times.)

I told her I was checking out. However this lady stood at the desk & watched me drag my 3 pieces of luggage down to her 1 suite case at a time. I had to make 3 trips up 4 flights of steps. My face was dripping wet. She waited until I was finished than said… can I help with luggage?

There weren’t any taxis to be seen. (This is not a touristy area & it was a holiday.) I didn’t want to stand on the curb with all that I had. I asked the lady to get a taxi for me. (I had 2 medium large suit cases, 1 cabin luggage, a very large purse crammed full & a lap top.) After about 15 to 20 minutes of sweating bullets (how am I going to get out of here…) she managed to flag a taxi.

The whole experience was bad. Not in a touristy area. The area to the BTS is a bit dark & run down. Not much to do in this area except take the BTS to get away from it.

On route to the BTS. Street food where? I found 1 chicken sate street food stall and bought one ~ it was cold and dried up… day old food. (I threw it in the garbage.)

All around bad experience. I can not refer this guest house to anyone nor will I be back. (Try lemmon seed rooms. Much better!)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank HotToffee
flannon, Owner at Padi Madi Guest House, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Dear Guest, I'm the owner of Padi Madi Guest House and I just read your review.

I'm very sorry you had a bad experience in Padi Madi Guest House. Usually our guest are happy about their stay with us and most of them if they come back to BKK come to Padi Madi again.

We try to do our best to make a comfortable stay in an great location (30 second walk from Skytrain) for reasonable price.

Regarding your different points, I will try to give some explanations :

I'm sorry you didn't like the bed. Actually we have some bed harder than other one, just because some guest prefer hard bed and some soft bed.
If the bed is not soft enough we can easily change the rooms. We have different options.
Since now we need get many complains about that.

Our room safe work all perfectly. That's happen often to block it by a bad use. there is a notice on each room safe. Also the behavior of my staff as you describe is not normal. They have to assist you until you should be able to use the room safe. Thanks for this comment, I will explain them again on this.

Regarding TV, actually we have 4 channels with movies in English and some locals Thai channels. That's happen some guest try to find new channel and setup the tuner not properly. In this case my staff can setup the TV in just few minutes. It is true we don't check the TV on each check-in, maybe we have to do it.

For Internet, we have a 8Gbytes/s connexion that is efficient enough. And it is a good connexion for Thailand. As I'm foreigner too, I use it often with my family and friend on web cam on skype without any problems.

We are a friendly guest house of 12 rooms with budget prices, yes, we no have lift.

We do our best to help for luggages. If I'm here of course I help to carry it. Also I have 2 staff on reception, one girl and one guy. I admit that the guy is more strong to help for luggage.
I'm sorry I cannot, as I wrote before, on this budget price, recruit someone 24h for carry luggage. I'm sorry for that but usually all my staff try to help for luggage.

I check and clean my aircon system every month. I never notice that aircon in room 303 make more noise than another one. It is just an aircon, aircon make noise.

We have no bug in Padi Madi, my staff they aware about that and not keep any rubbish in the building and clean all zone.
In Thailand, if you leave some food on table or some rest of food as I could see on you pict, is it normal that aunts come.
The rules is to not keep food in rooms. In superior rooms we have fridge. For standard rooms, there is a share fridge for keeping food.
Also in case, we have some spray for that, just ask to staff.

The 3 main tourist locations in bangkok are Kho San Road, Silom and Sukhumvit. We are on Sukhumvit. We are 1 station from Emporium shopping Mall, 2 stations from Asok & Nana. 5 stations from Siam Paragon and 30 min taxi drive from the main temple in old city.
We are 30 seconds walk from Skytrain.
Also the street food, street 38 is just 5 minutes from Padi Madi. Our staff can inform the way to go. This is one of the best street food night market in Bangkok (can see on guide).

Also we can book some tour direcly in Padi Madi.

I hope you have anyway a nice trip in Thailand and you will come again.
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed January 25, 2012

I chose to stay here because of the location. I would never go back. The rooms are poorly furnished and poorly maintained.
The owner agreed to change the door lock when I showed that jiggling it allowed access without a key, but he (the owner's boyfriend, I think) wouldn't fix the curtains or the air conditioner, both rather major maintenance jobs.
I accidently left about 150 baht in coins in the room one day, which I was collecting for train fares. This disappeared - the cleaning lady thought it was a tip. She said she would return it, but never did.
It is easy to find better rooms at a lower price, so why stay here?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank joby l
flannon, Owner at Padi Madi Guest House, responded to this review, April 10, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review.

I just ask to my staff what is happen with the door. They told me that the system was break and they change it has requested immediately. We are sorry for that, some systems can break sometimes.

Regarding the 150 THB left in room and get by our maid, as you said. Why didn’t you talk about this to our manager? I really trust on my maid and she thought maybe it is a tip because you ask her to clean the room. I guess it is a misunderstanding. Could you please contact me by email I will transfer you back this money. Also I will clear that with my maid in order to be sure that going to be the first and last time that’s happen.

We try to do our best to provide a great service on budget price. I think we are a very good reference in regard to our prices and location.

Fred