There are many hotels in bangkok and i had a really hard time deciding which one to stay. I have been to bangkok many times and have stayed in other properties which served my needs well but i decided to give adelphi grande a try based on all the almost perfect reviews in trip advisor.
The property is located at sukhumvit road about 300m down soi 41. Those who have been to bangkok and is familiar with sukhumvit road will appreciate the fact that the location is as good as it can be, only if you know your way around. Many have expressed their concerns about the walk along soi 41. Well to be honest, its a comfortable and safe walk. Its approximately 5mins walk to the main road and another 5-7mins to the nearest BTS Phrom Pong. The hotel provides a free tuktuk service but it was not in service during my stay. If you are feeling lazy, you could take the motor taxi at the start of soi 41 for a small fee of 20b. However, families with children or shopping bags may find the walk a little uncomfortable, especially in the 36degree heat during this time of the year.
There are plenty of taxis in bangkok but many of them are unwilling to pick up passengers to locations where a jam is expected. I can understand their plight. So my advise to those, especially first time visitors that you're better off taking the BTS to certain locations. Many of the shopping and touristy places can be reached by BTS so from Phrom Pong, its just afew stops to the shopping areas like central mall, siam paragon and mbk. Its really fast and convenient if you get the hang of it. It is very tempting to hop onto a taxi since they are relatively inexpensive but the time wasted in a jam could have been better used. You can always ask for advise from the friendly hotel porters and they will be glad to advise the best time to avoid taking a taxi and take the bts instead.
These apartments are exactly the way they were described by previous reviews. The rooms are spacious, fully equipped with basic kitchenware, microwave, washer/dryer, tv/dvd player. The rooms are clean, bath is huge with standing shower or tub depending on the type of room you booked. Theres a seperate sofa area near the tv which was comfortable to just relax and watch dvds which are quite cheap in bangkok. There were many international tv options available. The free wifi worked well. The gym looked good and there's a nice pool although i didnt get to use it. The pool gets only some morning sun and is shaded from the afternoon onwards. There are 2 computers in the lobby for guests use.
I've noticed that the tenants in this property are mainly japanese expats working here. There are many small japanese restaurants along the soi and in the surrounding area. Right at the entrance of soi 41 is a Tops Supermarket where you can get all your groceries to top up your fridge. Beer, fresh fruits, chips.. You name it. There's a restaurant as well but i wouldnt recommend it. You can get better food for that price. Its called Hot Shoppe or something. The nearest shopping mall is right next to the bts. Its called The Emporium. On the 5th floor is a nice supermart and lots of food choices. You can get a decent meal there. Many street stalls along sukhumvit road when you walk back from the bts. Theres a small local restaurant recommended by a previous review serves quite nice local thaifood at affordable prices. Theres a sign which says 'good thai food cheap thai food. Look out for it.
Room came with breakfast and the selection was adequate although i have seen better. They had the standard american breakfast fare plus alittle corner for japanese food and some asian choices. Coffee, juices, milk, fresh fruit, salad etc.. I mean, how much can one eat for breakfast? Seriously, i'd rather save the stomach for all the other yummy food available all over bangkok.
I had the opportunity to have a short chat with the hotels GM Mr Sarayuth and congratulated him on the excellent team he has in this property. The porters and security guards greated me everytime i walked past. Porter was friendly and spoke good english. They gave me advise on my travel needs. They cycled to the main road to hail me a taxi as and when i needed one. Front desk girls were efficient and smiled all the time. The ladies at breakfast were friendly and were heard sawadee-ing every morning without fail. My coffee cup was never empty. The chefs kept topping up breakfast items. The housekeeping lady in charge of my floor 10/11 did a great job in cleaning my room everyday and she was really friendly. In fact, i gave her a nice tip before i checked out and she was very happy.
Would i stay here again? Most definitely.
Would i recommend this place? Oh well, subjective. Perhaps not for families with young children or first time visitors to bangkok.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adelphi Grande is a leading Bangkok Serviced Apartment located on Sukhumvit Soi 41 and is surrounded by a lot of dining and entertainment attractions. Just seven minutes walk to BTS Phrom Phong Station which is the local transport system in Bangkok. Shopping Centers like Emporium is right next door. The Suvarnabhumi International Airport is 30-35 minutes drive from the hotel. Adelphi Grande is designed as per your stay convenience. It features 167 contemporary style Studios and One Bedroom Suites. The suites are elegantly decorated and are laid-out with hardwood flooring. All rooms and suites are furnished with a fully equipped kitchenette, microwave oven,High Speed Internet connectivity and etc. Adelphi Grande is a great place and a good choice for you to escape the hustle and bustle from your busy day; we provide general facilities and services such as Fitness Center, Outdoor Swimming Pool, Cafe Grande is the dining outlet, WiFi High Speed Internet and FREE Tuk-Tuk Shuttle Service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Odigeo, Asiatravel.com Holdings, TripOnline SA, Ctrip TA, HotelTravel.com, Agoda, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire and Priceline so you can book your Adelphi Grande Bangkok by Compass Hospitality reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Adelphi Grande Bangkok Hotel Bangkok
- Adelphi Grande Hotel Bangkok