“Great location, but room too dark”

Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit
Ranked #43 of 867 Hotels in Bangkok
Peoria, Illinois
“Great location, but room too dark”
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I just spent a week at this Sofitel. For me, the location was the reason I chose this particular hotel. I always pick the lower (as in lower street numbers) Sukhumvit area and I always want to be within very close proximity to the skytrain. This Sofitel fills both of those requirements. By chance, I found a good price on a room so decided to give the hotel a try.

My biggest complaint with this hotel is the darkness of the room. I happened to have a corner room with windows on two walls. I kept drapes open most of the time, in an attempt to add some natural light to the otherwise dim lighting provided. I really do not like such dark rooms! The lighting in the bathroom made it very difficult to apply make up, and that was even with a lighted make up mirror on the wall. The only other large mirror in the room was in the entry hallway, and the only lighting was a ceiling light which cast shadows on the mirror, thus it was also not acceptable for applying make up.

This hotel is quite new, being maybe only 2 years old. I've been to the top of the hotel for the view and dinner a number of times and have always enjoyed this scenic dining/viewing spot along Sukhumvit. This new hotel is very modern and very well appointed. The lobby is very inviting. Elevators are prompt. The bedding is lovely, and a good night's sleep was always possible (except when neighbors were yelling at 3am one morning... thin walls).

The breakfast buffet is plentiful. I don't eat a huge morning meal so the 850 baht price seemed a bit steep. I did try the buffet, but only once. If one enjoys a big breakfast, the option of adding it to the room rate is probably a good idea. Another option is the small deli in the lobby where you can get coffee and croissant instead of a huge meal at breakfast. The croissant I had was one of the BEST ones I've had since a trip to Paris.

I found that the replenishing of coffee/tea packets was hit and miss. Sometimes replaced, and sometimes not replaced. It was just me staying in this room, so not having a second instant coffee in the morning wasn't a big deal. Had my husband been along, he would have been calling housekeeping to ask where the replacements were.

My last morning was a very early departure to the airport. I found a lack of hot water for my 4am shower. I mentioned it to the front desk. There was no indication that they were having problems with heating water, so one might want to shower/bathe the night before, if having to leave early in the morning.

Over all, the hotel is really very nice. For a short stay in Bangkok, I think a person would find everything to like about the place. I, personally, will probably not return; but I am not suggesting that others should not stay here.

Room Tip: A corner room might add a bit more natural light to an otherwise rather dark setting.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sim C
SofitelSukhumvit, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Carol S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us on Tripadvisor. I hope you had an enjoyable stay with us at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences caused to you during your recent visit and also to thank you for the kind compliments. For your information, the brightness of lightings in the bathroom could be adjusted by holding on to the switch till it reach the level of brightness you desire .Rest assured , I have noted down every points you mentioned and will share with our engineering team and housekeeping team. Your review is a very valuable indicator to indicate the areas we need to improve on.

And if you decide to give us another chance, please contact our Quality Control and Guest Experience Manager at h5213-gm2@sofitel.com for your next reservation. Once again, please accept our apologies and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (519)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

Mixed feelings on the hotel as the staff were extremely good and polite. Concierge were professional and incredibly helpful after I picked up the wrong bag at the airport. The hotel itself was reasonably sumptuous but the room although only 2 years old looked tired for a hotel on at this level.
This sounds horribly picky but housekeeping was very inconsistent with their work...as we had come to Thailand for my husbands to attend meetings for work, we had both left the room by 0730 am (I went on a day trip well organised by the hotel) I arrived back at 430 pm and the room hadn't been made up and my husbands work shirts that he'd left for the laundry hadn't been taken. I brought it to the attention if the front desk and they attended to it pretty quickly but I feel this shouldn't have happened in this hotel. The hotel was very kind and offered me a complimentary spa treatment which I took up and was delightful.
The last night we were there we went out to dinner and came back to the hotel room where my side of the bed had been turned down but not my husbands. My husband also wanted a beer from the mini bar to find that the mini bar was empty.
The pool area was lovely and generally speaking we we joyed the stay but these few points did out a damper on the experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lucy N ,

I would like to sincerely apologize on behalf of the housekeeping team for all the inconveniences caused to you. I have shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper and the actions will be taken to prevent these issues from occurring in the future. However, I am delighted to hear that our ambassadors were helpful and you enjoyed the complimentary spa treatment we offered.

Thank you again for your comment and we look forward to welcome you back at our property.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Amazing welcome, sat down to check in given cool towels and welcome drinks.
The hotel is of an excellent standard throughout. location is good and not far from BTS transport.
Room was delightful, comfortable bed and pillows meant for great rest.
Bathroom was spectacular stylish design with l'occiatane toiletries large bath separate cubicle loo and good shower.
Customer service second to none, always welcomed at the door.
Breakfast catered for everything. Very impressed with the hospitality and product offering, another great reason to stay with Sofitel. Thank You.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Simonr78,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience with us on Tripadvisor. I hope you had a memorable stay with us at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

I am glad to hear that you liked the room we offered, L’occitane bathroom amenities, breakfast buffet at Voila and most importantly the service you received during your recent visit.

Our ambassadors are well-trained to deliver excellent service to ensure guest leave with fond memories and looking forward to their next stay with Sofitel

We look forward to welcome you back at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit for your next visit to Bangkok.

Chalais, France
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I am a Gold Accor card Holder and was shon every courtesy upon arrival, infact as soon as they saw my card I was taken to the 31st Floor to check in in private, The staff here are second to none,this coupled with the graciouness of the Thai People made this stay a wonderful experience. They cannot do enough for you, I found the level of competence extremely high and was so kind to my Thai Mother in Law who had never experience this kind of luxury in her life before now.

The rooms on the 26th floor were excellent with all amenities and luxuriosness you would expect to find at a Sofitel hotel, I have stayed at the Sofitel So and this hotel is in my opinion better !
The executive lounge on the 31st floor was again a haven of peace and tranquility,the breakfast area was a delight.
I cannot over emphasise that this a first class hotel in my opinion 6Star, yes its expensive,but you get what you pay for and I wanted luxury for the last days of my trip.

Well done Sofitel management you have done everything right !

Room Tip: Dont go anywhere else,if you want the best just reserve a room here,it does help if you are an accor...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Christian S, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Paul E,

Thank you for taking the time write this wonderful review. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your stay at our property and had a great experience with Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; I would like to thank you for your loyalty, and very happy to hear that you like and enjoy the services on our executive lounge on the 31st floor.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Sukhumvit again in the near future.

Have a Magnifique day!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stayed at the excellent Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit in early October - the fourth hotel I've sampled in Bangkok in the past couple of years, and it is by far the most outstanding. From the airport pick up and Mercedes Benz transfer, to the personal greeting by the staff on arrival, through check in and to room arrival, the service and professional courtesy, warmth and attention to detail is without fault. The design and decor of the hotel is contemporary Asian and its first class. The foyer and entry, complete with meeting rooms, French inspired cafe and bar are beautifully appointed. If you like tasty treats, don't miss the afternoon high-tea. The macarons, truffles and chocolates were fantastic. The rooms are very well appointed and in the case of ours, CLUB MILLESIME, its all luxury. From the Hermes toileteries, to the Bose sound system and the in-room espresso machine. The huge shower and spa are a welcom find too. The king size bed made for a fanastic night sleep and the daily turn-down service and cleanliness of the room was without fault. The Club rooms are on their own floor which comes complete with its own private dining room for breakfast, daily afternoon tea, business centre, and evening complimentary cocktails and canapes. Well worth the additional cost and excellent value for money. The staff in the Club were always very professional, attentive, and delightful to deal with. Nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast has something for everyone, from traditional Asian selection through to Western - eggs made to order, fresh fruit juices, smoothies and coffee to order. One of the most spectacular offers the hotel has is the amazing roof top bar - L'Appart. It is a quite stunning location high above Bangkok for dinner or drinks with breathtaking views as far as the eye can see. There's also regular entertainment and live music. The other great thing about the Sofitel is the location. Within walking distance of everything you need, it also has two Skytrain stations a couple of minutes away providing easy access to business, major shopping centres, and the river. The pool was also excellent as was the service at the poolside bar. Overall, for a three night stopover in Bangkok, you'd be hard pressed to find a better hotel. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Pay the small additional cost for the Club rooms. The private dining, daily complimentary cocktails...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CoryLeighP
Dear CoryLeighP,

Thank you for taking the time write this review and share your Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit's experiences with us on Tripadvisor, much appreciated!

I am very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and happy with our services, F&B, room, concierge, fitness, facilities, property, location and etc. I will definitely share your comments with our team as an encouragement to all of our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again.

Singapore
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I am a Platinum Member and this hotel recognises and treat Elites very well. Upgraded to a Suite with Club Access without asking (Excellent). Great improvement overall in terms of service, attitude and treatment compared to my first visit.

Good
a) Great suite with outdoor patio and private outdoor jacuzzi
b) Bathroom is contemporary and big
c) Nice and huge club lounge with better service this time round
d) Excellent Hermes shower gel, shampoo etc
e) Decent breakfast
f) Good location to NANA and ASOKE stations and to Terminal 21 shopping mall
g) Overall, a great improvement in service and attitude of the staffs from check-in to checkout

Having stayed in numerous Sofitels in Asia, this hotel is definitely the Best for me.

Value : 8 out of 10
Will I Return Again : Definitely YES

Room Tip: Free Club Lounge Access for Platinum Members
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Christian S, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Jaskel_33,

Thank you for taking the time share your Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit's experience on TripAdvisor, much appreciated!

We are happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.

Have a Magnifique day!