“Excellent Service!”

Ranked #36 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Paris, France
“Excellent Service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stayed there with my brother in December. We had a great stay. The employees' smile makes it a very good hotel. The greeting is impressive. The Front Office is quick and efficient. We asked for some help at the Concierge... very helpful. The swimming pool is very pleasant if you like to swim. It is a bit pity that there are not too much sun, but the atmosphere is very nice. Thank you to all your staff for this excellent quality of service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear Maxime F,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your experience in our hotel.
We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. My team and I felt very proud while reading your positive comment regarding the high standard of service provided to you.
Thank you again for your feedback. We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon to the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We are stay in Sofitel Sukhumvit on January 2nd, 2013 & this is our first time stay in this Hotel. the hotel is great. many thanks to the receptionist girl that handle me when i'm check in, ms.Wimolnant, J. ; she really helpful & nice. she asked me about which room i prefer, smoking or non smoking; asking about my check out schedule; offering to help me to confirm with my flight; asking me about what time that i want for the morning call, remind me about the time that i have to be at the airport and ask me everything politely. Thank you very much, ms.Wimolnant.
The staff were friendly, polite, helpful & have a quite good english. the room is very nice, with separate bath tub & shower. the location is good since they are near to Nana BTS Station, many people sell souvenir, shirts, etc at the sidewalk in front of the hotel. easy to reach Siam Paragon & MBK from hotel.
a little problem when the remote of the TV & the safe deposit box is not work properly. but they are handling the problem fast.
my dislike of this hotel is :
1. the variation of the food, my son have a meal in the pool & we (family) have a dinner in the restaurant on 2nd fl. but the staff is nice & helpful.
2. no free shuttle service from & to the airport.
But my overall score is Excellent...i will recommend it to my friends & colleagues & i will definitely come back..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear ansfilez,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this nice comment about your recent stay at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.
We are delighted to hear you had a great stay. We are very glad to hear such positive words about Ms. Wimolnant and I will make sure we forward her your comment.
We really apologize for the inconvenience we have caused to you regarding the TV and safe box. We promise that your comments will be considered and valued for our continuous improvement.
Thank you again for sharing your experience and we look forward to welcome you at our property.

Hong Kong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

I stay in Bangkok hotels about 30 nights a year total, and have done so for the last 15 years or so. It's safe to say that I have pretty much stayed in them all. I am looking for a new favorite, and was really excited at the new Sofitel, but unfortunately it has two fatal flaws.

Apart from that, it is a great hotel. Really. The breakfast buffet is lovely for variety, layout and quality, the rooms are super. The lighting scheme in the bathroom is probably the nicest in any hotel I have ever stayed. Shower is superb. The Illy cafe machine in the room is fiddly but a nice inclusion. Decor is luxury but not ostentatious or worse, pretentiously minimalist in an attempt to save money by pleading the trendy card. Location cannot be beat.

So what's the issue?

1) The (very lovely resort) swimming pool is located on the north side of the hotel. This means it gets NO SUN between 11 am and 3 pm. Seriously, why would any semi-intelligent hotel designer do this? This hotel is not alone btw but it's criminally stupid nonetheless. Why build a beautiful hotel for hundreds of millions of dollars in a tropical resort/business location and make the pool functionally useless?

I am neither an architect nor an astronomer, but even I can figure out that for a northern hemisphere hotel, you have to put the pool on the south side of the building???

So, #1. You cannot tan or sit by a sunny pool at this 5* hotel in Thailand. Which for most people I think is pretty much the point of going there. And, this isn't fixable. Unless they rebuild the property.

2) The wifi is unusable.

I don't quite know what to say that will get through to these hotel people. This is 2013. Wifi is not an option for a 5* hotel in a business city. Or anywhere, for that matter. Everyone is 3G connected at home (or at least everyone who will pay US$300 for a hotel room is) and when you travel, it's bad enough to lose that ability as you move around, but it's unforgivable in your hotel. Connectivity is as important as sleep or food & drink. Very often, connectivity is the basis for whatever business enables you to give them $300 a night. People rely upon their hotel for connectivity in foreign countries. It really is as simple as that. And if you make it a palaver, they will not stay with you again.

For $300, their website claims free wifi. But once there, you figure out it is so slow as to be all but unusable. The shockingly venal next step though, is that THEY KNOW THIS. So, they give you the option for another US$8 daily to pay to get a faster connection. This astounds me. It's bait and switch. And, of course the old "two devices only" cheat as well.

Note to hotel management everywhere: 2 travelers in one room in 2013 = 4 devices. At least.

There is a seedy sports bar next door that sells beers for 50 baht. Their internet connection is fast and free. No long username or PW palavers and no BS. If this tiny business can figure it out, why can't a $100 million hotel? Why make something so crucial, so appallingly difficult?

So, at my business hotel, I cant send or receive emails.
And at my Thai resort hotel, I can't go to the pool.

It's a criminal shame. Because I really like the hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank HKguy
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear HKguy,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

I regret to know that you did not enjoy the pool and that you found wifi unusable.
At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed here for two nights in a Prestige Suite and although the room was very good, there were some issues that should be addressed.

The location can be good or bad - depending on what you want. It is certainly in the heart of the touristy Sukhumvit area, however, some may see that as a negative.

My first disappointment was that there was no recognition for Le Club Accor Platinum members, although this problem seems inherent throughout the Accor group.

The Prestige Suite (room 3001) was impressive and quite spacious with great views from the balcony, so there were no problems with the room. The bed was very comfortable and the decor was modern.

We had breakfast in the Club Millesime lounge as opposed to the main dining area and on both mornings we were there, we were the only guest taking that option, however, there was still plenty of choice of food and the quality was good.

I was disappointed with the pool area however and what surprised me was the condition of some of the furniture and fittings - bearing in mind the hotel has only been open for eight months.

For example, the plastic decking surrounding the pool was already showing signs of fading, the steel frames on the sun loungers were stained and already starting to rust, some tiles and fittings in the water feature opposite the spa were rust stained and the tiling in the pool at water level was already badly stained. The palm trees needed their dead leaves removing which would have improved their appearance.

The majority of these issues could be resolved by just simple housekeeping and preventative maintenance.

Another downside of the pool area (for me) was that the sun goes behind the hotel at around 11:30.

The housekeeping in the rooms seemed fine - other than having my Herme's amenities replenished with L'Occitane on the second morning - I put this down to error as opposed to penny pinching!

The Millesime lounge was a very nice area to relax and I was impressed with the size and decor and how the dining area, lounge and bar were all separated. Drinks were replenished quickly during happy hour and the staff were courteous, efficient and friendly - in particular Joceline who was really nice.

Overall I did enjoy my stay and I would probably stay here again but some of the issues mentioned need to be sorted out.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear davyp777,

I regret you found the pool furnitures in need of maintenance. I am very sorry about the different of the bathroom amenity. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

I am glad however to hear that the ambassadors at the Club Millesime have provided their excellent service to you. I will make sure to pass your comment on.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

Our check in was a fiasco!
We had booked connecting suites. It turns out there aren't any that are connecting and there is only of that category per floor.
An abheration as such when our booking clearly specified the need as we were travelling with young children.

We ended up in one room on the first night but they extremely graciously made up for it for the rest of the stay by mooving us to the presidential 2 bedroom suite at no extra charge.
An absolute treat.
That said, we saw pretty much all the categories and all rooms are elegant, well appointed, spacious and with luxurious bathroom kits, expresso machines etc....

The general feel of the decor is contemporary neutral chic, the staff is well poised, soft spoken and greet you in french.
Breakfast on the club level is a calm affair, and the buffet lunch is incredible value considering the fresh spot cooking stations, pizza oven and the luscious full vintage cheese cellar.

The french brasserie/rotisserie has a lovely feel.

Very conveniently located with access to the sky trai which makes travelling along the shopping area painless.
Its also within easy reach of the up and coming thonglor / ekamai area with lots of boutiques, bars/restaurants away from the tourist trail but full of young hip locals & expats.

Don't miss a visit to sister hotel in the sakhorn/ business district. Its called SO bangkok and has a great sky lounge ( as nice as sirocco or the banyan) & an oyster bar.

Thoroughly recommend wether on a business or leisure stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear milo22,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.
We are glad you enjoyed the comfort of our rooms and all the facilities we are offering. Indeed the buffet lunch is incredible value considering the fresh spot cooking stations, pizza oven and the luscious full vintage cheese cellar.
We are really looking forward to welcoming you soon at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit. It will be our pleasure to have another opportunity to show you the gracious Thai hospitality and superb service again.

Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

This is my first time to stay in Sofitel property and St Regis is my favourite. My wife requested to stay in Sofitel this time to have some different experience.The overall experience I would say 70 out of 100.It was a decent hotel and most of staff were very firendly and were trying to be helful as much as they could. I want to pass my big thanks to Miss Byu of Le Spa and duty manager Pla who did whatever they could when they heard my wife was not feeling very well.

However there are many areas which request improvement

1. The English level of the staff and some of staff's English level was very poor. For example , they can understand fitness centre but not Gym.

2. The service is lack of consistence. For example house keeping

3. The comminuication between different depts. We have came across this issue sevral times over our stay.

4. The hygiene control. When I had a break fast at the 2nd floor, I saw a chef simply use naked hand to pick up several slices of cucumber left on the shelf and put back to salad bowl. I would say this was extremely unpleasenet. Also some flies were hanging over the restaurant.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Chen D,

I thank you for your positive and constructive feedback.

I am sorry to hear that your wife was not feeling well when staying at our hotel. However I am glad to hear that Ms. Byu and Ms. Pla have taken good care of her. I hope she is well recovery now.

I’d like to sincerely apologies for all those inconveniences you had to go through. These incidents clearly don’t reflect what we are committed to deliver to each and every one of our guest. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

I'm a biz traveler, and was traveling w/ a client. I chose the hotels. We stayed on the club level floor--highly recommended if you can afford the extra. My client was v. pleased and therefore I was v. pleased. The service, food and drinks available in the club room was significantly better than that I have had in (many) other clubs. I travel 4 months out of the year. The sky train is v. near the hotel, which is a boon, and there is also some shopping nearby. While we were business travelers, I think this would also be a great place for tourists are well.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear PeregrinMundi,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this very nice comment about your recent stay at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.
We are delighted to hear you had a great time with us and are glad you mention the Club benefits which were offered to you every day. Indeed the Club Millesime guest, receive this extra touch and service.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.