“Great Hotel”

Ranked #36 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
London, United Kingdom
“Great Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a new hotel so it's a very modern and contemporary feel. The facilities is excellent as you would expect from a new hotel. The colour scheme and decor is great and comfortable.

I only used the hotel for the room so can't comment on anything else such as pool, gym or restaurant.

The room was big and the bed was fantastic. The bathroom was big and the there was a glass panel next to the tub so you can watch tv. The only problem was the shower had a gap under the shower door and water would leak out onto the bathroom floor. Otherwise it was great and they gave you L'Occitane toiletries which was really good!

On one occasion when they made our room, they left the door open. We checked that nothing was missing so we were lucky. They also didn't give us new toiletries and complimentary bottled water so I had to ring up and request for this which they delivered within 5 minutes.

I also rung up at 10pm to book a cabaret show for the next day. I was transferred around to 5 different people, each of them asking me how they can help me which I had to repeat myself each time. Finally, the 5th person said the place was closed and I had to ring them back the next day for them to call the club for me. As they knew I wanted to make a booking, they should have just said they will sort it out for me and call me back rather than asking me to call again. Anyway, I knew the club wasn't closed as it opened till late, so I walked down to reception and the lady at the desk called for me. She got through but unfortunately it was booked out. So the guy on the phone early, was just lazy to call for me.

All in all, it's a great hotel but the service can be better. But I spent alot of time out of the hotel so it didn't bother me too much. I would definitely stay again as the location is perfect and it's great value

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear TD79,

I thank you for your positive and constructive feedback.
I am glad to hear you liked our room and the bed. SOFITEL Luxury Hotels has implemented a unique bed concept taking our guests to a deep sleep as if lying onto fluffy clouds.
I am sorry for the trouble caused regarding the make up room and call transfers. This is not a reflection of our normal standard and I am sorry that on this occasion we did not meet your expectations.
I look forward to your next visit in the near future at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit in order to offer you our undivided attention.

Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (502)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

My own opinion:

UPSIDE (1) not too far from airport (2) adjacent to another shopping mall just crossing the parking lot (3) across the PTT office if you have a business with them (4) room superb (5) lobby nice and beautiful Thai culture (6) restaurants at the garden basement is quite and that Thai restaurant is among the best

DOWNSIDE (1) rooms are a bit dark but this is a minor issue

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rapture2015
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear alrid,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am glad that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
We all looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit sometime soon.

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed 4 nights---Nov 14-18, 2012

Busy hotel--we could not stay longer even though we wanted--solidly booked--convention.

Stayed at a room with "club floor" access--worth the money spent--nice staff--nice food and drinks--computers for guests on vacation--did not try breakfast at "club floor'--as there were more selections at the main restaurant but crowded.

Room was very nice and modern--however, if there were couple of more modern amenities--the 4.5 stars would have been 5 stars.

1. It had a Toto toilet but it does not have an automated “bidet" toilet seat----even on a ANA flight--Business Class toilets--they had automated toilet seats---why would a 5 star hotel not have them.

2. No automated curtain control from the bed area--again this was supposed to be a 5 star hotel experience.

Sofitel could have those modern amenities but chosen not to spend the money.

Liked the Bose speaker system in the bathroom--it could have a small TV embedded inside mirror (at another 5 star hotel) rather than the open concept bathroom with a full window from bathtub to watch the single TV in the bedroom area.

Could have been an easy 5 star--but Sofitel did not spend the money on toys--which I hope it considers at the next renovation to improve the rooms to a 5 star experience....

Taxi driver at the airport did not know the hotel--remember to tell them at Soi 13.

Room Tip: Spend the money on Club floor access
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear BMWBMW,

I thank you for your positive and constructive feedback. It is extremely important as it helps us to continually improve upon our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests.
I am pleased to hear that the Club Millesime team assisted in making your stay as lovely as they did. I will make sure to pass your comments on.
Thank you again for your comment. We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon to our property.

Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

people are very kind and location is good.

some misunderstanding for breakfast access was displeased.

Even though everything was really nice.

curiously welcome fruit was different from friend's..

ammenity was loccitane and it caught my fancy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear DonnieDons,

Thank you so much for your comments on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are sorry for some hiccups you found regarding breakfast access. With your valuable comments, this will help us improve our products and services in order to create a wonderful and memorable experience for every guest.

We are looking forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

Geneva
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Since my stay at Sofitel So bangkok in April I decided to try the Sofitel Sukhumvit. Nice design, but not so trendy as the Sofitel So,not so "hype". The staff uniforms are not so splendid ( not designed by Christian Lacroix ). Everything is more simple but the main thing is that you are on Sukhumvit Road, close to the Skyline train ( shopping malls only 3-4 stations away ) and the main nightlife venues ( Q-bar, Bedsupperlub,... ) and also Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy for the gogo bars lovers.
The Sofitel So is only close to the Lumpini Garden...you have always to take the taxi. And going to sukhumvit area to a restaurant or a club is very difficult in the evening in the dense traffic of bangkok.

The room: I've been upgraded to the Opera Suite on the 27th floor, with a splendid terrace with jacuzzi and a wonderful view. A very big and comfy bed, glazed bathroom with TV screen (!), a modern interior not so flamboyant as in Sofitel So but very pleasant. Only a few observations: the wooden floor is already deformed, no master switch near the bed, and the free" very fast" wifi is very low ( you must pay if you want a faster connection ).Soundproofing is excellent, I slept very well except the last night because a wild party going on till 6 am in a room above or under mine. But the hotel is not responsible of such an annoying event.

Breakfast: taken in Club Millesime, on the 31th floor, nothing special, the buffet is very limited but you can order à la carte.
The staff is nice with a good english level, and always ready to help.
Thanks to Charlie Srekuta, the assistant manager, and especially to his collegue for making the check-out so funny...

Summary: a very clean, modern and well situated hotel. I'll be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ethansGeneva
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear ethansGeneva,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your experience in our hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our services exceeded your expectations. We regret that you had an issue with Wi-Fi in your room and we apologize for that.

Thank you again for your comment and we very much look forward to welcome you back at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I decided to stay in this hotel for X'mas because this hotel had just opened in 2012. I booked a Luxury Club Millesime Room, including breakfast, one complimentary dinner, usage of Club Milesime and business centre, for a rate that cheaper than a normal deluxe room of some other fairly new 5 stars hotel in Bangkok.

The best of this hotel was the room. The bed and pillow was so comfortable. It had the strongest shower I have ever experienced in Bangkok hotels. The Hermes body and hair products were nice. Sound proof was good. The view was open as my room was located on 21st floor.

The second best was the location. It's at the middle of Nana and Asoke BTS station. All of my favourite shopping mall, such as Central World, were just a few stations away. I preferred to go to Asoke because there were more proper shops and mall, including Terminal 21, on that side.

The swimming pool was good enough for lap swimming. It would be better if it was bigger. Didn't use the gym so couldn't comment on it. The changing room was small, equipped with a tiny sauna and 2 showers.

The service was not bad at all, but just average. It was lack of personal touch and characteristic. However, the worst was the breakfast at the Club Millesime. The choice was very limited and taste was average.

I did have expectation to this hotel because it's new and it's Sofitel, the most luxury brand of Accor hotel group. I am sorry to say it can't be my most favourtie hotels in Bangkok, but I probably will stay here again if it offers attractive rate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear SpaAddictor,

I thank you very much for your feedback.

I can tell that SOFITEL Luxury Hotels has once again achieved its goal with MyBed, a unique bed concept to make our guests feel like sleeping on fluffy clouds.

I regret that you were disappointed with the breakfast at the Club Millesime. Your comment has passed to the Chefs. Our F&B department is looking to improve the selection and quality of breakfast at the Club.

I am sorry that the quality of service did not meet your expectations this time. We are usually congratulated for our friendly and personalised service.

I look forward to your next stay in order to offer you our undivided attention.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed here for four pleasant nights on holiday before Christmas. My choice was based on location, pool and gym, and value for money. The Sofitel is situated on the vibrant Sukhumvit Road. The hotel has a touch of class with stylish contemporary features. Despite the noise and liveliness on the streets outside, you would feel safe and relaxed the moment you enter the hotel. Overall vibe is cosy.

Having arrived at 2pm, check-in was swift with concierge bringing you welcome drink and wet towels. A lady showed us to our room, it was a double bedroom instead of a twins room (which I had specially requested in advance and was re-confirmed upon check-in). A twins room was arranged not long after and the lady introduced us to the various room amenities.

Just as I wanted to settle in, despite the fine view as one looks down to the inviting pool area, I was not comfortable with the direct view of the building opposite. I called to check if there would be a better view twins room available and was informed that all the twins rooms were taken at that time. At least for me, the view from the room is very important and could be precious, so I inquired further if any would be available the next day. The staff promised to check and come back to us. A couple of minutes later, we were pleased to hear that there would be a room available later that evening with a different view. It was accommodating, hospitable and appreciative that they attended to our request without hesitation.

Our luxury room was of decent size. The view facing south is broad and great, it overlooks Benjakiti Park. Bed and pillows were comfortable that I slept very well on all four nights. From Bose audio system to Samsung LED TV to L'Occitane "Verbena" products, all are a plus. Shower was powerful with hot water running smoothly, but the water from shower seeped out to the toilet area which made it slippery. We did not spot any toothbrush set, but it was probably available on request.

Staff at front desk and room service are always helpful, and appear to be more professional than the rest. Although there was at times chattering among the staff, they are generally friendly and responsive. Complimentary wifi runs throughout the property, it is not fast but good enough for googling and basic messaging.

The Sofitel is well located if not perfectly, it is within walking distance to two BTS stations and one MRT station, though it might not be the most pleasant walk through the street vendors and traffic on uneven streets.

Breakfast buffet at the Voilà is well-presented, selection is reasonable and of high quality. I especially enjoyed the mixed fruit juice shots, hot soup noodles and the freshly cooked omelette, but honestly not the black coffee.

The pool, at 1.25m depth, is practical for swimming a few laps. A good amount of sunlight during the day also makes it a great place to simply chill out by the pool side. I did not try the gym but it opens round the clock.

If you are not staying here, hop up to the 32nd floor for cocktails. The outdoor terrace offers a very nice 180° view of Bangkok, the ambiance is relaxed and a delight, in my view more worthwhile than the Sky bar at Lebua, if you simply want to enjoy a drink or two in the Bangkok skyline. Happy hours is daily from 5pm to 7pm. Indoor seating is chic and surrounded by artsy decor.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: High floor, facing south (Chuvit Garden, Benjakiti Park) or west (city high-rise view). Construction...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Soed,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your experience in our hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our services exceeded your expectations. We are glad you liked the hotel room and all amenities.