“4.5 star Sofitel BKK” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Ranked #35 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Toronto
“4.5 star Sofitel BKK”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Stayed 4 nights---Nov 14-18, 2012

Busy hotel--we could not stay longer even though we wanted--solidly booked--convention.

Stayed at a room with "club floor" access--worth the money spent--nice staff--nice food and drinks--computers for guests on vacation--did not try breakfast at "club floor'--as there were more selections at the main restaurant but crowded.

Room was very nice and modern--however, if there were couple of more modern amenities--the 4.5 stars would have been 5 stars.

1. It had a Toto toilet but it does not have an automated “bidet" toilet seat----even on a ANA flight--Business Class toilets--they had automated toilet seats---why would a 5 star hotel not have them.

2. No automated curtain control from the bed area--again this was supposed to be a 5 star hotel experience.

Sofitel could have those modern amenities but chosen not to spend the money.

Liked the Bose speaker system in the bathroom--it could have a small TV embedded inside mirror (at another 5 star hotel) rather than the open concept bathroom with a full window from bathtub to watch the single TV in the bedroom area.

Could have been an easy 5 star--but Sofitel did not spend the money on toys--which I hope it considers at the next renovation to improve the rooms to a 5 star experience....

Taxi driver at the airport did not know the hotel--remember to tell them at Soi 13.

Room Tip: Spend the money on Club floor access
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear BMWBMW,

I thank you for your positive and constructive feedback. It is extremely important as it helps us to continually improve upon our service and provide a memorable experience to our valued guests.
I am pleased to hear that the Club Millesime team assisted in making your stay as lovely as they did. I will make sure to pass your comments on.
Thank you again for your comment. We are looking forward to welcoming you back very soon to our property.

Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

people are very kind and location is good.

some misunderstanding for breakfast access was displeased.

Even though everything was really nice.

curiously welcome fruit was different from friend's..

ammenity was loccitane and it caught my fancy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear DonnieDons,

Thank you so much for your comments on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are sorry for some hiccups you found regarding breakfast access. With your valuable comments, this will help us improve our products and services in order to create a wonderful and memorable experience for every guest.

We are looking forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel.

Geneva
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Since my stay at Sofitel So bangkok in April I decided to try the Sofitel Sukhumvit. Nice design, but not so trendy as the Sofitel So,not so "hype". The staff uniforms are not so splendid ( not designed by Christian Lacroix ). Everything is more simple but the main thing is that you are on Sukhumvit Road, close to the Skyline train ( shopping malls only 3-4 stations away ) and the main nightlife venues ( Q-bar, Bedsupperlub,... ) and also Nana Plaza and Soi Cowboy for the gogo bars lovers.
The Sofitel So is only close to the Lumpini Garden...you have always to take the taxi. And going to sukhumvit area to a restaurant or a club is very difficult in the evening in the dense traffic of bangkok.

The room: I've been upgraded to the Opera Suite on the 27th floor, with a splendid terrace with jacuzzi and a wonderful view. A very big and comfy bed, glazed bathroom with TV screen (!), a modern interior not so flamboyant as in Sofitel So but very pleasant. Only a few observations: the wooden floor is already deformed, no master switch near the bed, and the free" very fast" wifi is very low ( you must pay if you want a faster connection ).Soundproofing is excellent, I slept very well except the last night because a wild party going on till 6 am in a room above or under mine. But the hotel is not responsible of such an annoying event.

Breakfast: taken in Club Millesime, on the 31th floor, nothing special, the buffet is very limited but you can order à la carte.
The staff is nice with a good english level, and always ready to help.
Thanks to Charlie Srekuta, the assistant manager, and especially to his collegue for making the check-out so funny...

Summary: a very clean, modern and well situated hotel. I'll be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ethansGeneva
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear ethansGeneva,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your experience in our hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our services exceeded your expectations. We regret that you had an issue with Wi-Fi in your room and we apologize for that.

Thank you again for your comment and we very much look forward to welcome you back at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

I decided to stay in this hotel for X'mas because this hotel had just opened in 2012. I booked a Luxury Club Millesime Room, including breakfast, one complimentary dinner, usage of Club Milesime and business centre, for a rate that cheaper than a normal deluxe room of some other fairly new 5 stars hotel in Bangkok.

The best of this hotel was the room. The bed and pillow was so comfortable. It had the strongest shower I have ever experienced in Bangkok hotels. The Hermes body and hair products were nice. Sound proof was good. The view was open as my room was located on 21st floor.

The second best was the location. It's at the middle of Nana and Asoke BTS station. All of my favourite shopping mall, such as Central World, were just a few stations away. I preferred to go to Asoke because there were more proper shops and mall, including Terminal 21, on that side.

The swimming pool was good enough for lap swimming. It would be better if it was bigger. Didn't use the gym so couldn't comment on it. The changing room was small, equipped with a tiny sauna and 2 showers.

The service was not bad at all, but just average. It was lack of personal touch and characteristic. However, the worst was the breakfast at the Club Millesime. The choice was very limited and taste was average.

I did have expectation to this hotel because it's new and it's Sofitel, the most luxury brand of Accor hotel group. I am sorry to say it can't be my most favourtie hotels in Bangkok, but I probably will stay here again if it offers attractive rate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear SpaAddictor,

I thank you very much for your feedback.

I can tell that SOFITEL Luxury Hotels has once again achieved its goal with MyBed, a unique bed concept to make our guests feel like sleeping on fluffy clouds.

I regret that you were disappointed with the breakfast at the Club Millesime. Your comment has passed to the Chefs. Our F&B department is looking to improve the selection and quality of breakfast at the Club.

I am sorry that the quality of service did not meet your expectations this time. We are usually congratulated for our friendly and personalised service.

I look forward to your next stay in order to offer you our undivided attention.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed here for four pleasant nights on holiday before Christmas. My choice was based on location, pool and gym, and value for money. The Sofitel is situated on the vibrant Sukhumvit Road. The hotel has a touch of class with stylish contemporary features. Despite the noise and liveliness on the streets outside, you would feel safe and relaxed the moment you enter the hotel. Overall vibe is cosy.

Having arrived at 2pm, check-in was swift with concierge bringing you welcome drink and wet towels. A lady showed us to our room, it was a double bedroom instead of a twins room (which I had specially requested in advance and was re-confirmed upon check-in). A twins room was arranged not long after and the lady introduced us to the various room amenities.

Just as I wanted to settle in, despite the fine view as one looks down to the inviting pool area, I was not comfortable with the direct view of the building opposite. I called to check if there would be a better view twins room available and was informed that all the twins rooms were taken at that time. At least for me, the view from the room is very important and could be precious, so I inquired further if any would be available the next day. The staff promised to check and come back to us. A couple of minutes later, we were pleased to hear that there would be a room available later that evening with a different view. It was accommodating, hospitable and appreciative that they attended to our request without hesitation.

Our luxury room was of decent size. The view facing south is broad and great, it overlooks Benjakiti Park. Bed and pillows were comfortable that I slept very well on all four nights. From Bose audio system to Samsung LED TV to L'Occitane "Verbena" products, all are a plus. Shower was powerful with hot water running smoothly, but the water from shower seeped out to the toilet area which made it slippery. We did not spot any toothbrush set, but it was probably available on request.

Staff at front desk and room service are always helpful, and appear to be more professional than the rest. Although there was at times chattering among the staff, they are generally friendly and responsive. Complimentary wifi runs throughout the property, it is not fast but good enough for googling and basic messaging.

The Sofitel is well located if not perfectly, it is within walking distance to two BTS stations and one MRT station, though it might not be the most pleasant walk through the street vendors and traffic on uneven streets.

Breakfast buffet at the Voilà is well-presented, selection is reasonable and of high quality. I especially enjoyed the mixed fruit juice shots, hot soup noodles and the freshly cooked omelette, but honestly not the black coffee.

The pool, at 1.25m depth, is practical for swimming a few laps. A good amount of sunlight during the day also makes it a great place to simply chill out by the pool side. I did not try the gym but it opens round the clock.

If you are not staying here, hop up to the 32nd floor for cocktails. The outdoor terrace offers a very nice 180° view of Bangkok, the ambiance is relaxed and a delight, in my view more worthwhile than the Sky bar at Lebua, if you simply want to enjoy a drink or two in the Bangkok skyline. Happy hours is daily from 5pm to 7pm. Indoor seating is chic and surrounded by artsy decor.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: High floor, facing south (Chuvit Garden, Benjakiti Park) or west (city high-rise view). Construction...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Soed,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your experience in our hotel.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our services exceeded your expectations. We are glad you liked the hotel room and all amenities.

Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Having read some of the less flattering reviews, I booked with a tad of apprehension. But I was going to stay in Bangkok for 8 nights and I thought staying four nights in a row in one hotel is enough.

So my review would be based on my comparison with the other hotel - Novotel on Siam Square.

To be fair, I decided to book both hotels way ahead of my trip and took the trouble to write to the hotels about my requirements. And to write a fairer comparison, I would book rooms on the executive floor in both hotels so that I can make a better comparison.

Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit was the second hotel I stayed in during my recent trip ( check in : 6th December and check-out: 10th December) to Bangkok.

When I emailed the hotel to make my requests known (I booked two rooms on the executive floor and would like both rooms to be on the same wing of the hotel so that I can monitor my children more easily), I was given the sickening "subjected to availability" excuse.

I mean, if I had made the request a week prior to my arrival, I would understand that my request would be subjected to availability. But Sofitel is 5-star hotel in a building with more than 30-storey and I do not think there is a differentiation between guests with club benefits and those without since I was given a room on the 22nd storey and there was no such thing as an executive floor as far as the rooms are concerned.

To summarise my adventure, I was eventually assured that my rooms would be on the same floor. This was done after a frustrating exchange of emails. My request was one that was not over-demanding. And Sofitel was certainly not short of rooms. So, I pray that such requests can be met with minimal restrictions and resistance.

The Standard Room (Luxury Club Millesime)
===================================

My children stayed in a normal room with an extra bed thrown in FOC for my daughter. The room was standard size but it came with a good TV set, a Bose sound system and a DVD player.

There wasn't a lot of space to move around with the extra bed. It has a small sofa near the window.

Toilet
====

Comes with a tub and a separate shower. The blinds in the toilet was a tad difficult to handle unless you step into the bath tub.

The Suite
========

The suite I was given (upgraded to) was the Opera Suite. It is spacious, well-appointed with two large windows offering you a great view of Bangkok city.

The bed was firm and it makes one happy just staying in the room. (*)

The Toilet
========

A generous-sized bath tub with a standing shower (separate) with a small LCD TV in the rest room for complete relaxation.

There are two doors to separate the bedroom from the toilet so that the bedroom can remain sufficiently chilled while the toilet seats stay a a temperature that does not shock you when you sit on it.

The Club Lounge (Millesime Club)
===========================

Located on the 31st storey, the club exudes an air of exclusiveness. Pity there aren't too many tables and chairs to house that many guests and the low tables mean one has to either hold one's plate while eating or bend at an awkward angle while enjoying the afternoon tea or evening cocktail.

For those staying in the smaller 'luxury' rooms, the club becomes the main obvious venue to entertain one's guests or just to chat. With the really limited furniture, other guests like me who do not go to the lounge punctually at 5 p.m. will have to squeeze five people onto a beautiful sofa that should only seat two.

One evening, just before 11 p.m. when the lounge closes, my wife and I went to the Millesime Club for some coke. Knowing very well, that the staff need to travel home, we offered to take our coke back to our suite which was obviously more comfortable and private than the lounge (see *) but we were informed that it was not possible. No drink from the lounge, even opened and half-consumed can be taken back to the rooms. Oh, such draconian ruling and so rigid!

I know a rule is a rule. But where is the common sense? This is a luxury hotel. Not a hostel for school-going children.

We gulped down our coke and made a hasty trip down the elevator to our room on the 22nd floor.

Fortunately not every staff member is so fake behind the smiles and "sawadee"s.

HITS
====

Ms Kewalin L., the Club Receptionist, really helped make our stay at Soffitel Bangkok Sukhumvit a really pleasant experience.

We were indeed fortunate that she was the one who showed us to our two rooms and she was patient in explaining the use of the coffee machine and our club benefits.

Whenever we went up to the Millesime Club, we hoped to see her there. When we asked for directions to visit Asiatique on evening, she took the initiative to pass us a map and briefly but clearly explained how we could reach our destination. And when we asked for two bottles of water to take back to our suite for consumption the next day, she gave it to us without rules and regulations. She is in the hospitality business, no doubt, and she should be given the due recognition.

My wife told me that I needed to specially highlight Miss Kewalin L. The other receptionists should take a leaf from her especially the one who insisted that my half drunk coke should only be consumed in the Club. :)

MISSES
======

On two consecutive mornings, 8th (Saturday) and 9th(Sunday), we turned on the "Make-Up" room lights for both rooms before we went down for breakfast. It was at around 9 a.m. local time.

As I was going to Chatuchak Weekend market with one of my children, the other members stayed behind and shopped at the nearby Terminal 21.

Imagine my shock when both rooms were still not done up upon my return from the market in the evening at 5-6 p.m. We had to call the receptionist to get our rooms done up.

This happened again on Sunday.

A good hotel with a good repute cannot afford to have a team that is lax when it comes to making up the rooms. Without a fresh supply of towels and bathroom amenities such as shampoo and shower gel, how are guests going to enjoy Bangkok when they spend the whole day waiting for the rooms to get done up and supplies replenished? Due to this repeated bad incident, it marred my experience and hence my stay at the hotel.

When the DVD player did not work in Room 2215, a lady came to our aid within minutes. She tried and tried but failed to get the DVD to work. Then she summoned a technician who came within minutes and he tried and tried too. Then they both left and returned and tried again. Apparently, one cable behind the DVD player had come lose. This was not a big issue but it took really long. It is a minor setback, I would say.

WIFI in Room 2215 was passable with occasional lose connection but there was absolutely no signal in Room 2208. Fortunately I bought a tourist SIM from DTAC. I am not sure if the wifi is as fast as it was being touted because I could not even verify it.

Promise
======

I received an email from the Hotel prior to my stay at the Sofitel to welcome me. That's a nice touch.

Upon checking my email the morning after checking in (Dec 7th), I received yet another email. This time, it was from the Director of rooms.

As the hotel was aware that my daughter would be celebrating her 11th birthday while in Bangkok, imagine my daughter's surprise when a specially-made cake by a chef in the hotel was greeted her when she entered her room. The hotel has informed me that a cake would be presented to my daughter and it kept its promise.

My children's room was indeed located on the same floor and same wing though our two rooms were pretty far apart. To this, I would like to tell Sofitel I understand it is subjected to availability. I think the hotel guests are reasonable people too.

Sofitel is brand that I would trust. On the whole, I think Sofitel is reliable. Some of the club receptionists need extra training.

A few days upon my return, I received an email from the hotel again. This time for feedback. I think Sofitel is really serious about making the hotel our home away from home. Keep it up!

Breakfast
========

We had breakfast on 4 of our 5 mornings at restaurant and once in the Millesime Club. I think the service at the restaurant was pretty good - plates were cleared fairly quickly and we were served coffee and tea. We did not have to wait for our tables and the spread was reasonable with freshly-squeezed fruit juice and a good variety to boot.

As for taste, it is only so-so. I expect Thai food to taste slightly better. But it is good in the way that I keep some space for better food in the Yaowarat area.

The breakfast experience at the Club pales in comparison with that in the restaurant downstairs.

Environment
==========

Both the Nana and Asoke BTS stations are a fair walk away. I was caught in the rain while walking towards the BTS station and back.

Those staying in the hotel without club benefits might wish to take note that there is no 7-11 nearby (I did not see any) though McDonald's is about two blocks way towards the Asoke BTS station.

There are lots of street stalls located right outside the hotel to its right and left and many of these stalls display adult toys and graphic DVD covers. After all, this is the Soi Cowboy/Nana area so it should be part of the deal. The great news is that the hotel has managed to keep the segment right outside its facade free from these stall holders. The stalls add colour and life to the ambience, some would say.

Single males travelling alone would be pleased to note that there are lots of street walkers right outside the hotel but families travelling with children may wish to take this as either part of their education about the real world out there or think of a hotel in an area that is not as seedy.

Finally, because I have made prior requests, my rooms were ready when I checked in at noon. I was ushered to the club for checking in. Both my checking in and checking out process were smooth and they add up to my experience with Sofitel.

(The Grand Sukumvit used to be called the Sofitel a few years ago and I was driven to that hotel by a taxi driver after my stay at Novotel on Siam Square).

Would I go back to Sofitel? Probably.

Room Tip: Get a suite if you like the extra space. After a day of walking/shopping, one would like to return...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank prestontan
William J, General Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear prestontain,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain the quality of our service.

It was a pleasure to read how much you have enjoyed the well-designed room, the MyBed concept (which provides a good night sleep to all our guests) and the special birthday cake for your daughter. Your kind words have been passed on to our ambassadors who made your stay a memorable one. This will certainly motivate them and us all to keep up the good work.

We certainly take your comments into account and have been passed to the responsible manager to prevent any future occurance.

We hope you will give us the opportunity of welcoming you again in Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

William Haandrikman
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

Sofitel Bangkok Sukumvit is well located with BTS Nana and Asoke within walking distance. Good shopping centres are nearby. The room is well furnished and spacious. Breakfast is well provided with a very good spread. Staff are pleasant and helpful. Will not hesitate to recommend to friends and those looking for a good stay in a conducive environment.

Room Tip: Room on 18 floor was more than satisfactory with a little morning sun. Otherwise nothing to complain...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Singaporean108,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.

I am glad that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

We all looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit sometime soon.