“Great Hotel and even better Service and Location”

Ranked #41 of 893 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Was in Bangkok on the 25th of October 2012. Property is super and service was impeccable! Staff were helpful and courteous. Breakfast was sumptous and had a large variety to suit everbody's pallate. Recommend this hotel for 1st time visitors, situated close to a mall called terminal 21 which has a lot to offer.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Nick0209
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear Nick0209,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback.
I am glad that you have thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
We all looking forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit sometime soon.

Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit

Write a ReviewReviews (3,415)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had stayed in the Old Sofitel in Silom and was quite excited to experience this new addition to the Accor group. What a disappointment, I had emailed the hotel advising them of my somewhat late arrival and requesting a 3.00 pm checkout the next day. No reply was received which in my book means no problems. When I checked in at 10.00 pm I was told I must check out by 1.00 pm with no exception. No satisfactory explanation was made to the non reply of my email. Upon checking in my room even at this late hour I had to wait 25 minutes for the luggage to be delivered, this is not acceptable in a first class hotel. The room was acceptable and I did not have breakfast as had business meetings scheduled. Then had to return to hotel at 1.00 pm to check out and on to further busoness meeting, quite unacceptable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Ian P

Dear Ian P,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

I regret to know that you had such disappointing experience. Regarding the no-respond email, would you please let me know the exact date and the email adress you sent to? I can assure you that this is atypical of our standard. As we always reply to every guest email and keep the record. I am deeply sorry about the delay of luggage assistance to your room. We are taking immediate action to correct this.

We pride ourselves in our service, and work closely with our ambassadors to instill a professional, luxury demeanor at all times.

Thank you for sharing your concerns and we hope to welcome you back again to enjoy a true Sofitel experience.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I was really looking forward to my stay at the hotel (despite a bumpy reservation process), knowing just how great Sofitel's are in Bangkok, plus – it's such a new hotel.

Unfortunately, my stay at the hotel was disastrous, and that's putting it mildly.

We checked in rather late at around 20:30.
The check in process was rather quick and we were escorted to the Club for a personal check in.
As A|Club Platinum, we were upgraded to an Opera Suite (room 2615) and problems started even before we stepped into the room.

First of all, the corridors of the 26th floor were not air-conditioned, which was very uncomfortable.
Our personal butler started showing us the room, and the minute she demonstrated how to lock the bedroom door, the door was locked shut and she could not open it. She tried her best to open the door, called several personnel and after some 30 minutes a technician arrived and literally had to break into the bedroom. After he left, the butler tried to demonstrate how to lock the door again, and again – the door locked with no ability to open it, but this time, the butler was on the other side of the door. Again, another call to the technician, another breaking into the door and it was finally open. We summed up that the lock of the door is not working properly and were asked not to lock the door.

The entire process took over 45 minutes, while all we wanted was for the butler to leave so that we can unpack and head for dinner.
While we were unpacking, I tried connecting to the Internet to reply some emails, but the WI-FI signal was very weak inside the room and was not enough even for email reading/writing. I reported this to the reception and they promised to fix this while I am having dinner. No solution was ever provided to the lack of WI-FI issue and nobody followed-up on this issue as well.

At dinner, upon receiving the check, we were amazed that we were charged for the complimentary hotel water – some 70 Thai Bahts each bottle. Personally, I have no problems paying a decent sum for a good wine, but paying for complimentary water that are given in the room and in the Club for free, without any of the waiters informing us they are charged - is absurd. We mentioned this to our waiter, who said "this is the hotel's policy and you have to pay for it". Naturally, this was too embarrassing an issue to even mention, so I smiled and signed the check. For a Sofitel to act this way – is embarrassing.

When we returned to our room, we finally got a chance to relax a little bit, but the room felt totally "not finished". The pantry was empty, the mini-bar was empty, there were only 2 bins in the entire suite and most of the interactive options on the TV were not working.

I went to have a shower, and then realized there are no hot water. Not in the shower, not in the bath and not in the sinks. No hot water in the opera suite! We called the reception and again, they sent the same technician who broke into the door lock earlier to fix the problem. It took him over 30 minutes to fix the problem and we finally had hot water in the suite. Unfortunately, during the shower I noticed it is leaking severely and it literally flooded most of the bathroom. I used all the towels to dry the water and my colleague called housekeeping and asked for some extra towels and shower gel. It took the towels almost an hour to arrive.

When my partner was having a shower, he started smelling a revolting stench of sewer, that was coming up either from the drain of the shower or from the drain of the toilet. Since there are no windows nor ventilation in the bathroom, I used up most of my after shave to spray the stench away and put wet towels on the drain openings to prevent the stench from coming up.
All of the above was then reported to the assistant manager, who promised to pass all of this information to the director of rooms.

As it was getting late, my partner, whose extra bed was located in the living room, went to sleep, while I continued reading for another hour in the bedroom.
At apx. 1:30 in the morning, I wanted to go to sleep, but unfortunately, I could not turn off the lights in the suite's bedroom. No light switch controlled the 4 lights over the bed and the 6-8 lights in the corridor. I tried to fall asleep using the eye-shades I use during redeye flights, but the lights were too intense.
I woke up my partner in the living room and he tried to turn off the lights as well, to no avail.

We called the reception, and the same technician arrived to our room and tried to fix this issue by taking off part of the ceiling. It was after 2:00AM and after 45 minutes I called the reception and asked the duty manager to allocate another room for me to sleep in, as I was feeling very tired by then.
The duty manager came to our room after 15 minutes to inspect the problem and it took him almost 30 more minutes to come to the conclusion, this issue should not be solved at 3:00AM in the morning!
He managed to allocate a nearby room for me to sleep in. In addition, after having experienced the worst Sofitel "welcome" ever, I asked him to make sure I see a senior manager first thing in the morning.
By the time I went to sleep in the nearby room, it was almost 4:00AM!

In the morning, when I returned to the room, I found out my partner had to have a cold shower in the morning, as again – there were no hot water. Apparently, the technician who tried to fix the lights (which were still on in the morning, by the way), caused another malfunction with the hot water.
I spoke with the Club manager, who promised make sure the hot water issue is resolved.

After breakfast, I was told that the director of rooms is not available to meet me at 11:00, as was promised, and that he can meet me only at 16:00. I was not happy with this, as I wanted to experience Bangkok and not sit at the hotel waiting for a manager to agree to meet me. I asked to speak with another senior manager, but was told that all the managers are busy in a meeting with the hotel's owner.
I was outraged by this and I literally demanded that at least the director of rooms meets me immediately, as the meeting with the hotel's owner has not begun yet.

At 10:30 I met with Mr. Refai, the director of rooms, who wrote down all my complaints and apologized about it.
I told Mr. Refai that I am certain I am the first guest who ever uses suite 2615, as it is improbable that previous guests have suffered the same things I have and nothing was done about it.
At this point, Mr. Refai admitted that he himself stayed in this specific Opera suite a week or so before we checked in, in order to make sure the room is ready for the hotel's owner, who was due to stay in the suite later that week.
Mr. Refai admitted, that many of the issues I've encountered (the broken lock, the stench at the bathroom and the lights being constantly on) were also reported by him following his check/stay of the suite, but apparently, were not fixed.

Mr. Refai took the blame on himself for not following-up on his previous report regarding the suite and offered to treat us to dinner and that our second night at the hotel would be complimentary. He also said we would be moved to another Opera suite.

An hour later, we moved to another Opera suite (room 3004), and after a while we went out to the city, as we certainly could not handle being in the hotel any longer. I also made arrangements so that we can have an early check-out from the hotel and an early check-in to our next hotel.

We checked-out the next day and I was promised by the Club's assistant manager that the refund for the complimentary night would show in a couple of days on my credit card bill (the room was pre-paid already), as it is not instantaneous. Needless to say, this simple transaction took 4 more emails, 5-6 phone calls and basically - well over a month until it occurred.

As I'm certain I know teething problems during soft-openings,what my partner and I went through during our stay at Sofitel Sukhumvit was not a case of minor teething problems. It was a case of total and utter lack of care and respect for my business.

Never in my most dreadful thoughts did I even think a Sofitel would dare to house a guest in a room that is not yet complete or adequate. Let alone an Opera Suite!

Other than the horrible malfunctions in the first room (2615), I was also blown away by lack of training most of the staff suffered from. While all Thais in the hospitality business are well known for their smile and Sawasdee, when I stay at a Sofitel, I expect a high level of service, especially when it comes to following-up on issues and concerns a guest have experienced. Showing a guest a smiley face, but ignoring his requests and not following-up on them is a truly bad habit.

This was by far, not only my worst Sofitel stay ever, but the worst 5-star hotel experience I can recall in all my years of travel.

Even my email to the hotel's GM was not followed-up properly, which sealed the deal for me – all the folks at Sofitel Sukhumvit simply don't care. What a shame!

Room Tip: Even the suites are rather small.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
13  Thank TheShis
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear TheShis,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience you had during your stay on the 9th-10th of August with us.

On behalf of the team of Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, I’d like to once again sincerely apologies for all those inconveniences you had to go through during your stay back on August. These incidents clearly don’t reflect what we are committed to deliver to each and every one of our guest.

All of the notes you have communicated to Mr. Refai have been addressed within the same period of time (August 2012) and we have already taken considerable measures to fix each and every issue with each department head. In addition, I fully agree with you that having faced such problems is not what one can expect of a 5* luxury hotel.

Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit is committed to providing a high level of service to our guests and we promise to work even harder to regain your trust and confidence in us.
Thank you again for sharing your experience and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just ledt the hotel after 5 nights with the family. The hotel has a good location close to Nana sky train station. What really makes this hotel stand out is the staff in the reception, the club lounge and the delicious food they serve. The club lounge staff really try their best to make you feel welcome so a big thank you to all of you.

The only thing that did not work at all was the house cleaning. Several days our room was not cleaned and we had to call to get them to make up the room. Shame that a hotel with this overall great quality can not get a basic thing like that work. Beside that I can only recommend the hotel and pay the extra and get the club access.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Larsmadsen

Dear Larsmadsen,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

It seems you were able to take advantage of many of our amenities, and I am happy to know you enjoyed our Club Millesime benefits!

I am sorry to hear, however, that you were not entirely satisfied with your experience regarding the make up room service. I assure you this is atypical of our standards as our housekeeping pays particular attention to cleaning the guest room and replenishing in room amenities. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Thank you again for your comment. We are looking forward to welcoming you soon at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hotel has a convenient location, quite spacious guest rooms and nice F&B outlets. Buffet breakfast is great and buffet dinner is a good spread with fresh seafood and a cheese room. If you book an entry level room, check on upgrade options upon check-in. For about THB 2000 (US $62) I upgraded to a One-Bedroom Suite with Lounge access. Evening cocktails and canape's in the lounge are very nice and the staff are attentive. They offer quite a good selection of wines.

Try the French rooptop restaurant. It's like dining in a Parisian apartment with plenty of space between the tables. Good for a romantic dinner!

In my opinion this is a better property than the other new "Sofitel So" in Bangkok Sathorn.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hotelier76

Dear Hotelier76,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write this very nice comment about your recent stay at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

We are delighted to hear you had a great time with us and are glad you mention the hotel outlets where great food and good service were offered to you. Indeed the upgrade to Club room is reccomened as you will receive all Club extra touch & benefit .

Thank you again and we are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at our property.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

We have never stayed at the Sofitel before. And to be honest I didn't realize it was a luxury hotel - how surprised was I! It was dripping in luxury. From beautifully designed bathrooms, to the Hermes bath products, to the french patisserie and the lavish beds (they had a pillow menu!). The staff here were so accommodating and attentive. We were spoiled with a room upgrade and a complimentary high tea. Delicious! The buffet breakfast was decadent and we were again spoiled by the chef making us special crepes. The staff were knowledgeable about the area and gave us great tips for some quick shopping before we returned home! Room service was delivered in a way that felt like it was fine dining! Thank you for ending our honeymoon on such a high note!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelSukhumvit, Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Georgia N,

Firstly we would like to thank you for choosing Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit to accomodate your honeymoon in Bangkok. And thank you very much for taking the time to write this very nice comment about your recent stay at our hotel.

We are delighted to hear your stay was outstanding and are glad you mention the Club benefits which were offered to you. Indeed the guest of our Club Millesime, receive these extra touch.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights and things are not so good there, It is about a year old now and the tiles on the bathroom floor are breaking up! I walked in the bathroom and when i exited i felt pain in the bottom of both my feet and for the whole day i could not walk without sharp pin like pain shooting into my feet. The top glazing of those tiles that are breaking up was the cause. I reported it to the cleaners and the bits were vacuumed up and then someone had a look at it and that was it! Very dissapointed and will not stay there again

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank robboy

Dear robboy,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us your experience in our hotel, we really appreciate it.

To reach a great guest experience is a must for us and at every Sofitel around the world, and we work very hard for it, we believe that having the chance to know what you have experienced is the best tool we can have to improve and like this reach our promises.

In your case and as you tell us we are deeply sorry for not reaching your expectations and we really apologize for all the inconvenience we have caused to you.

We take immediate action to rectify the bathroom tile and I thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.