“Fantastic hotel!”

Ranked #42 of 861 Hotels in Bangkok
Tokyo Prefecture, Japan
“Fantastic hotel!”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed three nights at this lovely new property, which was only opened in late March. The lobby, restaurants and rooms are all beautifully decorated; the room was spacious, with a large bathroom, great views, HD TV, and nice amenities. Staff were very friendly and helpful, and exactly what you would expect in a 5-star hotel. It all feels very luxurious and indulgent, but in a modern and comfortable way. I really liked the little touches like plunger coffee in your room, plenty of complimentary water, and the L'Occitane products. The breakfast was good - plenty of choices and plunger coffee too (no mass-brewed stuff). I ate at L'Appart Restaurant twice; the food was excellent, the concept interesting (apartment-style with open kitchen) though I think the staff are still learning (I'm happy to overlook this, given how new it is). The location is great - 5 mins walking distance to both Asoke and Nana BTS stations, and the same to the new Terminal 21 Mall. Overall, a great hotel, lovely rooms, friendly and helpful staff, and fantatic location. I'm already booked to go back twice in the coming months.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Jay_BKK
William J, General Manager at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Jay_BKK,

We were thrilled with your five-star review of our hotel. However, please allow our apologies for the late reply.

It was a delight to read you appreciated the hotel’s atmosphere, the convenient guestrooms with luxury amenities and the friendly ambassadors who do their upmost to provide every guest a Maqnifique stay at Sofitel.

I would like to end by saying it was a pleasure to serve you at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit and we hope to see you again soon.

William Haandrikman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (513)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2012

A colleague and I recently stayed at the Sofitel for a work trip. Unfortunately after a night of shopping my colleagues bag was snatched by two people riding by on a motorbike. Her bag contained her passport amongst other valuables. Upon our arrival back to the hotel Mr Somboon Chua was AMAZING!! He helped with internet access, provided a security guard to take us to the police station (which as two girls alone in strange city was hugely helpful) and he continued to help throughout our stay. We would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to Mr Somboon Chua and the entire team at the Sofitel for helping out with our every needs. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AHRAustralia
Dear AHRAustralia,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback on our hotel. We hope you would accept our apologies for the late reply on your review.

It is with sincere regret to read about the incident you had to face with your stolen bag. However, it is a pleasure to read how much you appreciated the service of Mr. Somboon and the rest of our staff.

Your kind words will be passed on to Mr. Soomboon. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of the staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 21, 2012

5 star by all measure-location, rooms, facilities, swimmingpool, bar/club, bathroom, entertainment and staff although theres a few faults.

I stayed in one of the suite (Prestige Suite). It has separate lounge/office and bed room, spacious bathroom. While the facilities are excellent, i think theres too much corridoors between the room, and from the room to the door, which made it less cosy in my opinion and the closet is rather cramped and small. Theres only one place for one luggage, the rest you have to put it somewhere around the corner!

State of the art TV, Internet and communication system is too confusing to use (perhaps too advanced for average user). I wonder how many people really connect their PC to a giant flat screen TV? I couldnt get the volume on the TV in the lounge room throughout my stay. The office chair has four legs which means it is stationary and cant move around or adjust after sitting down. Please change the chair with a chair that can either swivel or roll.

The bathroom is huge and the Hermes toiletries made it luxurious, however the TV in the batroom is useless as it has reflective stainless steel like screen which cannot be seen while having a bath. It is located too high.

Breakfast at Club Millesime was great with lots of choices, even with ultra fresh honey from honeycomb!

Staffs were friendly, but upon check out they tried to bill me with DCC (Dynamic currency conversion) without asking me first, I told him to reverse the transaction and charge the bill in Thai Baht. This way I saved nearly 1% in currency exchange rates. The rule of thumb is ALWAYS REFUSE DCC (Dynamic currency conversion) or billing in your own currency.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Dear BentleySpur,

Thank you very much for your positive feedback about Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit. We hope you would accept our apologies for the late reply on your review.

It is a pleasure to read how much you enjoyed the peaceful pool side, state-of-the-art equipment and the in-room amenities.

However, I am sorry to read that you had to face some difficulties with the room equipment. We will certainly look into this issue.
Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope we will be able to welcome you as well at the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

Saint-Denis, Reunion Island
Reviewed May 20, 2012

Had high expectations for this hotel, I wasn't disappointed in anyway. Service was amazing from start to finish. The reception even helped me solve some issue I had when waiting for the shuttle to go to the airport. they called the agency and helped me sort it out in no time. The pool and fitness centre look great even though I had no time to take advantage of it. The restaurant on the 2nd floor was very good. For those deeply attached to european food, there is also a nice choice of typical western food. Staff was friendly and helpful, view from the room was great, the smart TV takes a little geting used to but once you've figured out how it works, it turns out to be a treat. As for the location, this hotel is an excellent choice for all the shopaholics out there. It is located 5 minutes from teminal 21 a brand new mall, and if you turn right at hotel entrance and take the clean and efficient BTS at Nana station, you're only 3 stops aways from the other malls bangkok has to offer. So yeah, I would highly recommend this hotel, one of the best I've stayed at for sure!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank beautifullydepressed
Dear Beautifulludepressed,

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback. It is through feedback such as yours that we are able to maintain the quality of our service. We hope you would accept our apologies for the late reply on your review.
We are happy to read that you enjoyed the peaceful poolside, state-of-the-art gym, convenient location and our outstanding ambassadors who do their upmost to provide a Maqnifique stay to all of our guests.

May I end by saying that it was a pleasure to serve you and we look forward welcoming you back to Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed May 16, 2012

The Property is locating in the Central City which is surrounded with Restaurant, Shopping Mall, Bars .. Perfect fit for Business Traveller and the Leisure Traveller who love to have everything close. The Room Equipped with the Latest TV and Good Guest Enetertainment System, the Hi-Tech people would love it. It is a waste of Energy to have to leave the Key Card on and have no where to switch off the Light before leaving the room. The Bed is too high for an Asian Person but Good Selection of Amenity is a compensate. Highly recommend for the Lunch Buffet, I was impressed by the Cheese Room.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank a_sodapop
Dear a_sodapop,

May I begin by apologizing for my late reply. I would like to thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. We are concerned with the satisfaction of our guests and your feedback is of great value to us.

It was a delight to read that you enjoyed the convenient location, state-of-the-art in-room equipment, the luxurious amenities and the one-of-a-kind cheese room situated in the Voila! restaurant on the 2nd floor.

Thank you for your review and we are looking forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to the Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We just returned from a weekend in Bangkok at the newly opened Sofitel Sukhumvit. Location is perfect for shopping and aesthetically it is absolutely outstanding - lobby, pool, spa area were wonderfully designed. Even in the rooms (we splurged for a Club room), the state of the art entertainment system, smart tv etc were incredible and we hooked up our Iphones to the Bose system.

Problems begin when you go a little deeper - since we were on a high floor the water pressure for showers was pitiful. We also had to wait about 20 mins before any hot water came through for showers, bath, sink. Everytime we wanted to take a shower/bath. This was surprising for a 5 star hotel which cost quite a lot. Twice the lights went out and a technician had to come in to replace the fuse. Housekeeping was poor as well (our room was not made up in the evening even though the light was put on for about 4 hours when we were out requesting make up room). There were also communication problems with housekeeping because they simply did not understand English. Since we were in a Club room, we made use of the 31st floor club floor for tea, cocktails between 5-7pm and a place just to chill out after a day's shopping. Service up there was good and this actually saved what would have been a very disappointing trip.

Breakfast was quite sad also - don't understand it. Eggs would come cold, they would forget our order and again communication was an issue as we had to point alot of the time. Plus selection was average I would say. We stayed at the Peninsula at Christmas time and this hotel is a very long way off that type of hospitality and quality of food.

All that said, the staff did try their best (at least the ones that could understand us!) and I suppose alot of the structural problems were not theirs. But I would give it another 6 months before all these issues are ironed out. In that way I felt that I was a bit cheated given that I had read some solid reviews of this place before booking.

Room Tip: Club room or bust