“Hard to recommend, so I won't” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Heritage Hotel Sathorn

The Heritage Hotel Sathorn
Ranked #747 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Minnesota
“Hard to recommend, so I won't”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2011

I really wanted to like this place, but most of the negative reviews are dead on. I recently ended an extended tour of SE Asia in Bangkok and needed to find 5 rooms for myself and family. We paid about $25 a night on average through Agoda, with 2 rooms of the 5 getting breakfast. All 5 had issues: 3 of them had no hot water for the 3 nights we were there. One of them had a drippy AC that poured water all over the floor before noticed, then had to suffer through the drip drip drip into the bathroom bucket (turning off the AC was not an option). Light bulbs were out. I can live with the bad location, but these other problems were not acceptable. And as for finding it, good luck! Our driver from the border stopped no less than 6 times trying to find this place. He asked taxi drivers, hotel staff, and random people, without much luck. If you do decide to stay here, here's a tip: Get the driver to Patpong, then to Sathorn road. Head west on Sathorn from Patpong (this will be a right turn). Stay on this road for a little bit until the intersection with a 7-11 and a TMB bank on the corner. Make a left down that road (13 - "Sathorn sham ship" in Thai) and follow it to the Heritage. It should be about 50 Baht for the taxi without traffic.

For the good news: The rooms themselves were clean and comfortable. Rooms on the 6th floor and up on the "01" and "02" stacks will have good views (mine did not). 801 and 802 have nice views all the way to the bridge. The staff is very friendly and
went out of its way to help. The lone Internet terminal downstairs was fast and reliable; my WiFi on the 3rd floor was good but reports were bad in other rooms. The breakfast was good, though the same thing was made 3 days in a row (American style breakfast.) I don't know if that other poster tried, but there is room service, at least for breakfast, for a fee of course. They will arrange tours and cars. Expect to pay a little more for this service, though. They will also perform some business functions like printing and faxing.

The residential area was nice; I don't consider that a negative. If you make a left out of the hotel and head for the ATM at the end of the block, then make a left for a few steps, you'll arrive at an alleyway on your right that will take you to 11th Street. Walk through the alley (amazing food stalls on either side). Once through the alley, if you make a left, you'll head for the major road. If you make a right, you'll walk like a Thai! There's a great little dim sum place on the left side of the street (50 cent dim sums) and a few blocks down you'll find all the amenities you'll need including laundry, food (sticky rice mango packs - $2.50) and traditional massage parlors.

Still, you should be able to find a comparable hotel closer to the action, or at least easier to get to. Basically, if you need to take a cab everywhere, you can stay for cheaper or with better amenities. You can't just walk out and go somewhere. And the room issues are just not acceptable. Unfortunately, you are better off elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor (6th+) 01 or 02 stack.
  • Stayed April 2011
4 Thank larry_nyc

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2011

In the website, this hotel said they will provide 24 hours tuk tuk service to the train station. But it only works when one particular staff is working. His shift is 2200 to 0800. That means no tuk tuk service during the day. Who is going to do shopping in that period of time?
The road from hotel to BTS is very dirty and lots of rubbish bins aside. It smells terrible especially after rain.
The room is very old and the bed is very hard. It gives me and my boyfriend back pain after the first night of stay.
I will never go back again.

• Stayed February 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Blackpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2010

I booked this hotel for two nights at the beginning of my trip, at the time I paid 1050 baht per night including breakfast, which wasn't fantastic but it did the job.

The taxi driver had a little trouble finding the place but with it being at the end of a soi it is a little hidden, but no more than a 2 minute walk to Sathorn road and another minute away from the Surasak Skytrain station (Or a free Tuk Tuk if you like), which gives fast, cheap transport to all the places you'll want to visit.

The hotel was clean and the staff were friendly, we got a great recommendation for the Blue Dragon resteraunt for a birthday meal which was only a few minutes away and was actually an extremely impressive (and expensive!) place. They were more than happy to help when I needed to know where something was or how much I should expect to pay to get there. No problems with service and breakfast was delivered to the room at a time to suit.

The room was large and had all the facilities you could want, a balcony (Although with a view of a building wall and a backstreet), and a nice enough bathroom. The styling was nice but the quality was a bit lacking, you can tell that they have not broke the bank when they decorated. Cleaned daily and nothing went missing.

For the price it was fantastic and I could have done alot worse, I don't really thing this hotel deserves to be ranked as low as it is at the moment, but it's definately not going to be in the top 100 either. I'd reccomend it so long as you're not looking for luxury or a view.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MichaelKTT
Moscow, Russia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2010

At last day of our stay we have got our money stolen from carbon trank with coded loker.
It was done quiet professionally.

Inspite of the video camera under the door of our room a thief didn't be registrated.
Actually nobody of hotel staff didn't look surprised or scandalized.

We went to Police, fill all documents, but it was quiet formally. And they did nothing.

So I don't recommend you to stay at this hotel to avoid a risk.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tatianata
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

this was our first trip to Bangkok, and my (new) husband and i were quite excited. we booked Heritage Sathorn because of the amazing pics of the hotel at their website, and we availed of their Easy Package which was $85 3D/2N and the inclusions were one way airport transfer, american breakfasts for 2 days, and UNLIMITED access to the fitness centre and sauna and jacuzzi.. to be honest that jacuzzi/sauna thing was the main selling point for me coz i was really looking forward to just relaxing on this short holiday.

when we got there, the driver Teph was waiting and everythign was smooth. the hotel was SO FAR though! but we thought hey as long as it's accessible to the transportation links (skytrain, MRT) it will be fine. but guess what?? the hotel is right in the heart of residential units with lots of tiny streets which we never got around to being familiar with. hence we felt a little trapped and we had to rely on the hotel Tuk=tuk (free) service whenever my husband and i needed to go out. Totally NOT what we would have wanted :( we thought we could stay in a hotel where when you go out the dining spots were just right there. we tried the directions given by another Trip Advisor reviewer but couldn't get it that we had to go back to the hotel to ask for tuk-tuk :(

the rooms looked a lot like our rooms back home in the Philippines, nothing special and TOTALLY not the same as the ones on their website. i wanted to check out right then and there! my husband stopped me saying we only had 3 days and it would just be a waste of time and effort.

there was no Room Service! no hair dryer inside the rooms, no Tooth Paste we had to buy our own! also it was my fault too i guess but there was no restaurant in the hotel. the worst thing was that their jacuzzi/sauna was SOOOOOOOO DIRTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i didn't use it anymore! even the receptionist said it was dirty and better not to use it :( there were feet-like tracks on the jacuzzi floor it was so disgusting! and the fitness center?? just a couple of equipments nothing more, with tons of clothes hanging around for drying.. i tried to get some discounts since i did not get to use the jacuzzi anyway but they said it was not possible.

as kind as the receptionist was (they did serve our breakfast at 630 am despite the normal hours of 7am due to our very early flight back home), he was not very good at English that it was quite frustrating. :( it would really have helped if their staff could speak and understand English better.

it was good that their wifi internet was quite fast and free though.

i really really DO NOT recommend staying at this hotel.. i felt cheated for the $85, we could have gotten cheaper rates at hotels which were right at the city center.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank twisted_bratinella
Holland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2010

Good price value hotel. Nothing special but ok. Rooms are very big but a little bit old. Rooms have great view over bangkok.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights at the end of my trip through Thailand and it was my 3rd hotel in Bangkok. We booked on the strength of no bad reviews and beautiful photos on websites.

The room themselves are large, and have a nice feel to them. The wooden floor is smooth cool, and I quite liked the dark furniture and feature wall. Although the photos are very cleverly taken I'd say they still give a good indication of the room and it felt clean although a little dark.

It is however a little past it's prime, my mirror had lost some of it's surface and had black patches, and the cushions on the couch had some seams split.

Breakfast is delivered to your room at a time requested as there is no restaurant and wasn't too bad Asian standards. Some bacon, a slice of ham, an egg, coleslaw, toast and jam with a plate of fruit and glass of cordial.

All up it wasn't too bad for 999 baht a night, but the group of us felt there was little passion from the staff, particularly in comparison to the other 11 places I stayed out throughout Thailand.

My bathroom felt like it was from a couple of decades ago, and there was large quantities of mould growing in the grouting around the tiles on the wall in the shower (understand it's impossible to get rid of without putting new in) and there was pinky/orange mould growing in the corners where it looks like it's been cleaned without oomph. The bathroom smells damp and mouldy so could do with a serious clean. The mirror had been cleaned to about 2/3 of the way up as it was streaky at the bottom as if done with cold water, and the top was spotty as if not cleaned and there was cobwebs in the top corner of the roof. Despite this it didn't feel DIRTY, just as if it was a quick clean rather than a scrub. I did overhear another guest ask reception to re-clean their bathroom while I was at reception. But I will say that it was the hottest shower I had in 3 weeks and had good water pressure

There was also a mixup with breakfasts so it pays to be very clear with staff. The first day they sent one rooms half an hour early, and forgot our second room's breakfast. It was very quickly delivered on request. The second day I hadn't requested breakfast, and had both the do not disturb light and sign up but they spent maybe 2-3 minutes knocking with me requesting they leave me to sleep before they rang to insist they delivered my breakfast. I kept saying that I wanted to sleep and not be disturbed and they were very set on delivering breakfast at the time they had the day before.

Our room cards also stopped working after two nights but it was a quick fix to get it set up again at reception.

As per other reviews it's down a couple of narrow dark streets in a quiet area of Bangkok, but is maybe 10 minutes walk to the BTS

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends