“Great service, shoddy internet, good value”

The Heritage Bangkok
Ranked #742 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
“Great service, shoddy internet, good value”
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Overall, a good value hotel. Had some problems on check-in at 6pm (being sent to a room that had not been cleaned, faulty internet cable that took 30 minutes to identify) and later in-room internet was intermittent at best (worked for 20 minutes then mysteriously didn't / when it worked, it was fast). Had the problem off and on throughout my stay, despite numerous visits by the IT guy. Hotel responded graciously by upgrading me to a corner suite (VERY nice!) The lobby had 3 computers which always seemed to work and there was always at least one open... Buffet breakfast was great - Asian and Western and the requisite green salad... filling and fresh. Location unbeatable.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2010

booked 6 months in advance on strength of location and availability of pool.
Arrived, compelled to pay for 3 night stay on arrival.
Then advised that pool not available due to maintenance / renovation despite getting confirmation of booking 2 weeks prior .. no mention of pool out of service.
upgraded to corner suite .. only ambient light available in main lounge area of suite. Had to move after one night... very strong smell of sewerage in corner suite.

Accosted by staff touting travel arrangements before even getting to lift. again when entering and leaving lift for breakfast following morning.

Had received all in quote including late checkout for 2 rooms re-confirmed 2 weeks before arrival.
advised after check in that charge of 1000 thb applied for late checkout.

request to speak with management ignored despite 3 requests until checking out 20 minutes before departure when we were advised "manager gone home" and "will get someone to speak". Person with no authority fronted.. little english and shrug of shoulders, requesting us to provide email address for later contact..... "thank you for staying with us... do stay with us again when in Bangkok".... not bloody likely!! no late check out fees paid.
Subsequent email contact blamed staff and advised staff had been counselled so as this will not happen again.

a shame as location is excellent. Find this attitude the single bad experience after 15 years of travel thru out south east Asia. Management needs to train and control their staff. Will not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank baliite

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

nakornpathom thailand
Reviewed June 20, 2010

i go to bangkok for shopping.this hotel s great for my purposed.near the bts ,very convenient
the room s new,good decorated with reasonable price
in the next trip.i ll come back to the this hotel agian

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Naifaru
Reviewed June 12, 2010

The Rooms... have been the most interesting and eye-catching part when I checked the website of this hotel. I love the colours and especially the bathroom, even more when I see directly and experienced it, convenience to the eyes and comfortable.

We're having a short stay there, and what I can say is it has been a wonderful and amazing trip as my first time to Bangkok. The reception and concierge have been very helpful, and everyone does... They dont bother though we came many times in a day everytime we want to go out for a sightseeing and they recommend where, how, and when to go to a place.

The location of this hotel is superb! At first, we're having a little bit trouble because the taxi driver needs to find a way to get there as he didnt quite familiar with it, but once you arrived there, everytime, we can go out like, three to four times a day, so effective because the location of the hotel to BTS is only a minute away and we have planned to visit so many places in our short stay, it's like, just walk and you move on.

We also love the food. From room service to the restaurant, to the street food down side the hotel, you can get the nice food all around the hotel. At first I was worried if I couldnt get halal food there as pork items are everywhere. But the food around was I can eat as much as I can without pork.

I like everything from this hotel, except for the massage at the Spa, I thought I've taken the least hard massage, but then I knew even the soothing massage has also been a little bit painful. But the therapist and the manager were very nice and attentive.

Definitely I will go back there if I 'll be traveling to Bangok again and I have and I will recommend this to my friends as well.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravelerOnBudget
Bundaberg, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2010

we were booked in for one week but did'nt realise the pool was under reno till mid June so we moved out next day. The hotel were great & never charged us a cancellation fee & even sent their bellboys to wheel our luggage to FX round the corner.The night we were in The Heritage was very good, breakfast was lovely as were staff & rooms were very good. We will definitely stay there next time. They are right next to Chong Nosi skytrain station which is the only way to get around Bangkok because of the traffic.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
sydney
Reviewed May 16, 2010

I think this was the hotel i enjoyed staying in the most, maybe because i was given an upgrade to a corner stuido room which was huge.

the hotel is opposite chong nonsi bts, so getting around is easy. there's loads of cheap places to eat near by.

the breakfast was fantastic. great variety and very tasty.

rooftop pool was great. not enough sun lounges. basic gym is up there too.

definitely recommend the hotel as a good budget option. you get free wifi too.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank sydboy07
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 13, 2010

I recently spent one night at the Heritage - I had a 24-hour layover between flights, so I decided to spend a day in the city, and I had read positive reviews of the Heritage on this site.

I found the hotel without too much difficulty, after getting the Airport Express bus from the airport to Chong Nonsi. (A bit surprising, in retrospect, as the place is fairly well hidden in a side-street away from the BTS station. However, once you find the place once, it is very easy to get back to.)

My immediate check-in experience was a bit unusual. The receptionist told me they did not have a non-smoking room (which I had requested) and after a lot of shuffling papers and checking computers, she upgraded me to a non-smoking suite. I was pleasantly surprised - I was bracing for the worst as she didnt seem too concerned initially about dumping me in a smokers' room. The bellboy walked me to my room, and then, to my surprise, offered to get me a "lady" for the night, if I was interested. Now, I know Bangkok's reputation as a sex tourist destination, but I found this suggestion a bit too familiar, and a bit off-putting. (I really only wanted a good night's sleep!)

The room, however, was nice -- huge (a suite, of course) with a kitchen/living room area and a large bedroom. The decor was a sort of plastic neon-green, with green sofas and accents - sortof a "2001 A Space Odessey" futuristic theme. I found it slightly jarring. Still, it was very comfortable, and the bathroom was huge and well-appointed (though, strangely, it contained a floor-to-ceiling window which, if you drew back the curtain, had a full-on view of the street below. Somewhat odd for a bathroom.)

I went downstairs for a late meal (at around 10 PM.) I was served a delightful chicken & basil dish by very attentive restaurant staff. The place was more-or-less empty (probably due in part to the recent disturbances around this area of Bangkok.) the following morning, I had an outstanding buffet-style breakfast in the restaurant area. Afterward, I explored the city using a map provided by a friendly receptionist. The BTS station was literally 3 minutes' walk away, so getting around the city was very easy.

In summary, the Heritage is a reasonable choice for a stay in Bangkok, particularly if the price is reasonable. (I paid about 1,200 Baht for the night.) My experience was somewhat uneven, but I would cautiously recommend it as a reasonably priced, hip choice in a fairly central area of the city.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo