“Rocky start but good stay overall”

Chatrium Hotel Riverside Bangkok
Ranked #29 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Rocky start but good stay overall”
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I'll skip the bits I've read on here before so that I'm hopefully giving some new information, so apologies that this isn't a very comprehensive review.

We booked through ebookers on a 'dynamic package'. I later decided to see if we could upgrade to a club room so I contacted Adrian directly and he made the necessary arrangements. Unfortunately on arrival there was a bit of confusion - we had agreed a price to upgrade to club one bed suite instead of studio, and there were no rooms of this type on our arrival. Also, front desk had no record of it being a 1 bed rather than studio and wanted to just put us in a studio. Eventually I logged on to my email and showed them and they agreed they could move us in the morning, and also said they'd drop the upgrade fee for that night. Disappointing and a bad start, but the room was still fine. Just meant we couldn't unpack or go out early the next day.

Next morning after a late-ish breakfast we stopped by the desk for an update, expecting it to be a 12 noon move. They had the room ready then and everything went swiftly, they told us to go get organised and would send someone with a key for the new room etc. All good. The 1 bed suite was quite a bit better than the studio in my opinion. We were happy to be in our new room.

The club lounge was very good. I wish I got the names of the girl and guy who served us most nights, they were great - I just wish I could give them a special mention by name. There was red and white wine (both were nice, although they were clearly old glass bottles topped up from a large carton that they kept in the cupboard - it's quite obvious the bottle is old and we saw the carton at one point being carried across the room with the empty bottle! Why pretend? It was nice anyway), 3 beers (including chang and heineken), about 8 cocktails, and basic spirits. There were also snacks in the evening. We're vegetarian, so mainly ate crackers and cheese, fruit, and some of the veggie options were ok (although tiny). The veg spring rolls were nice on the last night, although my husband bit into one and discovered it had meat in it. Must have got mixed in with the veg ones. Afternoon tea was ok, but the cakes were unfortunately mainly glazed with what looked like gelatine so I didn't really eat any. The sandwiches were tiny. We only had it twice in 8 days as it wasn't really for us. Breakfast is served in the main dining room, not the club lounge.

The pool had sun from after 11am, so it was a bit of a wait in the morning for sun....we ended up going out in the mornings and sunbathing later. The pool was quite crowded when we arrived though although it went quieter through the week. Was hard to get a lounger at times, especially over the weekend. The pool itself was very cold, and I only went in briefly when it was 34 degrees for a couple of days.

We had dinner downstairs one night. Penne Arrabiate and Pizza Margherita. Both good. Reasonable at about 220THB each. Drinks were quite expensive in the hotel though, wine was about 350THB,

The boat service is great. The hotel is within walking distance of Saphan Taksin if you wanted to walk, or Asiatique is a little closer. Pavements aren't great, too many things to avoid when walking. We got a tuk tuk on our last night to save time and it was 50THB each way.

It was our first time in Thailand. We thought Bangkok was a bit crazy, but it was great. I think we'll be back, and when we do we will definitely consider staying here again. It's not plush 5*, more like a good 4*, but the it's not really 5* prices either so it's good value I would say.

I remember reading that the beds weren't comfy...the bed was firm, so when you sat on it you did wonder if you were going to be comfy sleeping, but it was very comfy to sleep on. I suffer from back pain at times, but I found it to be very good for my back.

Room Tip: River views are great. The club room was also great, but appeared to be quite under-utilised. Some n...
2 Thank lesley1974

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,152)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 6, 2014

With the taxi limosine from airport to hotel is a good arrangement, the reception employee gives a very good service, the breakfast on the terras is excellent. We had a big room on the 29th floor with a very good view. Swimmingpool=excellent

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 5, 2014

The hotel is on the river with its own regular free boat to take you up to Taksin (Central) station where you can take the skytrain or the Tourist boat (150 bahts for all day) or the yellow flag ordinary boat (15 bahts, per journey- go the whole way to pier 30 or just 2 stops same price). Our room was big, bright and airy. Very comfortable bed. Great bathroom. The breakfast is BIG and has both western and Asian dishes. Our room overlooked the river -great views. All the staff friendly and helpful particularly Somthop the restaurant manager. Also the executive chief Andrew (English) who is always glad to have a few words with you and hear your opinions. Lovely to have an evening meal on the terrace by the river. The staff kept us informed of where to go re the trouble in the city and we did not see anything and had a great holiday (we were there for a week). Forget a taxi from the airport, (to avoid the road blocks) get the airport train to Paya Thai station then the skytrain to Thaksin and then from the pier the Chatrium's boat. Of course you need to have little luggage with you.

Room Tip: Higher floors for views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

1 Thank Maureen B
Frederikshavn, Denmark
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We stayed in this fantastic hotel for 4 days in January 2014. We had a room with river view on the 28 th floor. Beautiful view. There was free internet, free shuttleboat to Central pier (sky train), free breakfestbuffet. Very frindly staff, spacious rooms with balcony, nice pool aerea.
We booked as senior travvelers and also had free dayli newspaper an free early chek in an late chek out.
We will return again. Great value for money.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get a room with river view. Book direct at the hotel and get senior rates and...
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My 3e time in the Chatrium, what a great place to stay, room service and location are superbe !!!
This is the place to be every time you are in Bangkok.
The braekfast and food in de restaurants are very good you get value for your money.

Room Tip: Suites with riverview are fantastic
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2014

We had a great stay with very helpful staff and clean and spacious rooms.
The hotel was very well equiped and although not in the city centre had easy access via the river service.
I was disappointed to be charged to print our boarding passes!!

Room Tip: Higher floors give wonderful view, ask for riverside view rooms.
Haifa, Israel
Reviewed February 5, 2014

My 23-year old son & I stay at the Chatrium from 27-30/1/14 and were very satisfied. It's a really luxurious hotel with a beautiful lobby & dining room for breakfast. We paid a bit more & ordered a 1 room suite that had a river view which was absolutely gorgeous. We appreciated the ferry service provided by the hotel to the close-by air train station. We also walked to the Asiatique Night Market, which is located 1 km south on the same road of the hotel. (Along the way are not-so-nice local food businesses & 3 7/11's.) The breakfast was wonderful & plentiful. I was glad to see yogurt on the menu. There also are 2 omelet cooks to make fresh omelets according to your wishes. We did experience a few slight problems: upon arriving at 20:00, we had to wait in the lobby almost 1/2 hour till our room was ready. The maid service did not enter & arrange our beds on our 2nd day till we returned in the late afternoon & I asked for the maid service to clean our room. I ordered a "body scrub" massage at the spa next door as an add-on; the massage was absolutely wonderful but there was a bit of an misunderstanding with regard to the payment. First I was under the assumption that I was getting a discount by ordering the massage beforehand. There was no discount; the price was the same as if I'd walked in off the street & ordered it. Actually the spa is next door but not a part of the hotel. The spa staff expected me to pay for the massage separately from my room bill. Besides these few issues, we did enjoy our stay at the Chatrium Riverside. Also, our cab fee to & from the airport to the hotel cost about 400 Baht so do not take the add-on limousine service that costs 1500 Baht!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family