“Beautiful boutique in busy Bangkok”
Review of Ariyasomvilla

Ariyasomvilla
Ranked #3 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful boutique in busy Bangkok”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful 4-night stay at AriyasomVilla in mid-July.

~*~ Location ~*~
The hotel is in the popular and busy district of Sukhumvit, which is well served by the efficient and modern Skytrain. AriyasomVilla is at the very end of Soi 1, a busy street with lots of street vendors, cheap spa places, a few small restaurants, 3 or 4 '7-eleven' mini markets, and a few hotels. The famous and massive Bumrungrad hospital is very close to the hotel on Soi 1. It takes about 5-10 minutes to walk down Soi 1 from the hotel to the main Sukhumvit road, and about 10-15 minutes from the hotel to the nearest Sky Train station, Phloen Chit. The hotel is right next to a busy canal, so the sound of passing boats is quite loud during the day time, but there is no noise at night. We enjoyed exploring the Sukhumvit area, and there are plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance from AriyasomVilla. The Skytrain is very easy to navigate and pretty cheap.

~*~ The hotel and facilities ~*~
AriyasomVilla is a beautiful boutique hotel, surrounded by greenery and nature. It's often difficult to believe that you are right in the middle of Bangkok - AriyasomVilla is like an oasis in the city. The original house was built in the 1940s, and the hotel has been built in keeping with that style - lots of high ceilings, big wooden beams, and traditional Thai decorations. The hotel has a spa, which we didn't use because it looked a little expensive. There is a lovely restaurant, which serves only vegetarian food and some fish, but is excellent. The pool is small but nice, with a few sun loungers around the edge.

~*~ The room ~*~
We were delighted upon arrival to be upgraded to an executive suite - a huge 2-storey suite with two living areas, a big bathroom with separate shower and bath, two toilets, and a wonderful bedroom with indoor balcony overlooking the suite's main living area. The room was beautiful and it was great to be overlooking the pool area. The room has air-con and flat screen TVs in both the bedroom and living room. In terms of suggestions for improvement, it would be great if they added more mirrors - the one in the bedroom was difficult to see by due to dim lighting, so the only useable mirror was in the bathroom - this meant I hogged the bathroom a lot when getting ready in the evenings! It was also a shame that there wasn't a balcony, although the window could be opened for smokers if desired.

~*~ Breakfast ~*~
The breakfast was a la carte, not buffet, and it was pretty good. I don't eat eggs, which could be tricky in a vegetarian restaurant, but there were pancakes of different flavours and lots of bakery options. They do serve vegetarian sausages, but we didn't try these.

~*~ Staff ~*~
The hotel is owned by an English man and his Thai wife (who I believe is the granddaughter of the original owner of the villa). They were very friendly and spoke to us a couple of times. The staff at the hotel are excellent - really smiley and helpful. When we arrived at AriyasomVilla at 8am after 16 hours of flying from the UK, they were fantastic at making us feel welcomed and showed us to our suite straight away - even though we were there 6 hours early than the check-in time. We'd expected to have to dump our luggage at reception and fend for ourselves until 2pm, so this was a really pleasant surprise.

~*~ Value for money and final verdict ~*~
AriyasomVilla isn't a cheap place to stay - it was one of the most expensive throughout our stay in Thailand. However, we really felt it was worth the money, especially as Bangkok was our first destination and we both felt so frazzled after the long journey. It was a bit of a luxurious treat for us, I suppose. If we are ever back in Bangkok, we will stay again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Cat C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hawks Nest, Australia
Reviewed July 28, 2014

Being driven through morning peak hour traffic from the airport to central Bangkok can be overwhelming, especially if, like us, you've never experienced it before. So the relief at arriving at this welcoming, tranquil hotel cannot be overstated. Although we turned up at 7.30 am, the staff managed to find us a room almost immediately.
Unlike your ubiquitous western hotel, Ariyasomvilla has a charm and character all of its own, a unique blend of both Asian and Western. Small things, such as fragrant oil candles and gentle music, help create a peaceful environment, and throughout our two day stay, the unobtrusive staff did all they could to make our time there special.
The rooms are spacious, cool and attractive, as is the breakfast/dining room. And the meals are fabulous, especially for a vegetarian like me. Although we did get out and about, it was tempting to sit by the pool, relax and recharge our batteries.
The only reason we would choose to have another stopover in Bangkok would be to stay at Ariyasomvilla again.

Denmark
Reviewed July 27, 2014

Stayed at Ariyasom villa (AV) two times during our recent trip to Thailand.
I was traveling alone with my two kids and had precooked 2 nights prior to arrival but immediately also booked 2 more nights for our return-home-stay in Bangkok.
We took the sky train from the airport, there is a stop just near by, only a short 100 B or less tuk-tuk/taxi ride. This way you will avoid the traffic going from the airport. The train is safe, clean and efficient.
Arrival was smooth and from there and onward things just kept getting better and better.
The rooms; we saw 4 different during our all simply amazing. The decor and general feeling is elegant / colonial, you simply feel good. Bathrooms and products elegant.
There is simply nothing bad to say, the pool was amazing, grounds beautiful. Staff smiling and friendly without being intrusive. Food good, but vegetarian :).
However, the best part is simply the experience of coming home to this oasis in the middle of a hectic capital. The sounds dim, water and shade replace noise and pollution.
When lying in the pool you are just aware of the vibrant city around you but this is a hideaway where you can rest and enjoy life.
Placed on sukumvit ski one it is not in the center but the grand palace and war Po can be reached by sky train and a boat ride in less than one hour. There is a short taxi ride to one of the major shopping areas.

In short, I have stayed in many fine (and less fine :) hotels in my life but I can honestly that Ariyasom Villa is one of, if not THE best place I have ever had the pleasure of staying!

Will I be back? Count on it!
Will I recommend it? All ready have, many times!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Rawlpluks
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We stayed here at the beginning of our 30th anniversary trip to Thailand, and what a start it was. We arrived in a daze after the 12 hour flight from London to a warm welcome and a room strewn with rose petals, and quickly realized what an incredible oasis the Ariyasmovilla is, tucked away by the canal at the end of a dead-end street, but within a five minute walk of one of the busiest streets in Bangkok. Our first night's meal was one of the very best that we had during our entire trip, and the entire stay allowed us to relatively gently acclimate to the Thai experience. The staff were charming and incredibly helpful, and gave us useful information at all hours of the day and night. As much as we were underwhelmed by Bangkok in general (the rest of Thailand is far more interesting and far less abrasive), we would not hesitate to return to the Ariyasmovilla should we be in the city again.

3 Thank 373adam373
USA
Reviewed July 21, 2014

After ten years of visiting various hotels in Bangkok, I have by far found my favorite. The Ariyasomvilla is filled with old-world charm which is quickly vanishing from our ever modernized world. From the moment you step on the grounds you know you have landed in an oasis, surrounded by lush vegetation. Step inside and the past greets you with intricate carved doors, rich Thai silk curtains and upholstery, minority weavings, rich wooden floors, traditional Thai furniture, etc. Beautiful!!

The staff treated us with great kindness, respect and were always helpful. The sky train is only a short walk away and they showed me with maps how to get everywhere I wanted to go. If you prefer taxi, they will arrange a safe taxi. I noticed the staff constantly watching over their guests. Owner David is quite delightful and can help out with any special needs - he showed me clearly how to get to find out of the way places such as the Jim Thompson outlet by BTS.

Bumrungrad hospital is a three minute walk down the street. Hands down, this is greatest place to stay if having care there. We had their comprehensive medical. It got close to 10am... I quickly excused myself, zipped over to the Ariyasomvilla for their amazing breakfast and was back in no time to finish up at Bumrungrad.

Before coming here I was a bit nervous about mosquitos after reading some reviews. I actually hardly noticed them, even thought it was rainy season. The mosquitos here seemed no worse here than anywhere else in Bangkok. Furthermore there is plenty of natural based mosquito repellant available for guests to use.

Pool is peaceful and delightful.

My room was incredibly quiet. I am a light sleeper and anything will wake me. As this is a hotel with management which aims to please, if I had a room which was noisy, I would have asked to switch. I did have neighbors next door which I never heard...walls seem thick.

Restaurant is scrumptious. The cook serves dishes with perfect presentation. Evening atmosphere very romantic. I suggest getting a room with breakfast included. Lots to choose from. Coffee, teas and hot coco all delicious too. (No packets used here!)

If you prefer Thai street food, just meander down the street a few minutes and sample away!

If you are looking for glitz and bars, this probably isn't your place. But if you are hunting for that old-world charm which is very hard to find, the Ariyasomvilla just can't be beat. It may cost more than other places in Bangkok, but I'm willing to bet you'll look back with fondness on your days here for a long time!

(Hotel is great for singles, couples or families.)

Room Tip: The deluxe room has a lovely sitting area.
5 Thank travelingandkids
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We stayed at this beautiful oasis for 3 nights. We had booked online, the package that included a deluxe room, a meal and a massage each.
On arrival we were greeted warmly with refreshing hot towels and welcome drinks before being shown to our room. To our surprise we were upgraded to an executive suite - bonus!
David the owner was an attentive host and actively made everyone feel welcome.
There was such a large selection on offer for breakfast, my husband didn’t even notice the lack of meat!
Ariyasomvilla is situated just 10 minute walk to BTS Skytrain Pholen Chit station, which gives you access to the city.
My husband was ill in bed for the last day of our stay and all staff were genuinely concerned and make sure we had everything we needed. It certainly didn’t take anything from the beautiful memories we are taking home with us.
Thank you to everyone at Ariyasomvilla.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Peter C
Irvine, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2014

This accommodation was a hidden gem. We were overwhelmed by the suite that we stayed in and the staff were excellent. Although we are not vegetarians, the breakfast was very good. We arrived late in the evening and David who runs the hotel ensured that we had a meal before we retired for the night and could not have been more helpful throughout our stay. It is within walking distance of the sky train which is the best way to travel round the city.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple