“Good Hotel for Backpacking”

New Road Guest House
Ranked #80 of 632 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Bangalore
“Good Hotel for Backpacking”
Reviewed November 3, 2011

It's a very decent and an affordable hotel. It has different room types (dormitories etc...) which would suit the budget well for a reasonable stay with friends. Friendly staff as well.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Ko Pha Ngan, Thailand
Reviewed October 22, 2011

We stayed in door rooms which were clean, the shared bathroom was better than expected. The rooms were good value. The location wasn't great and a way away from Koh San Road but near the pier for Water Taxi which was 30TBH to Koh San Road. The food was reasonably priced.
They did play loud music til late on in the night which made it difficult to sleep.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
BeritBonde, Manager at New Road Guest House, responded to this review, April 13, 2012
Dear Katy,
Thank you very much for your nice review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found it a good, reasonably priced option.

In regards to location we find it an asset not being too close to Khao San Road but as you say, close to e.g. the pier and water taxies instead. Not least due to the sometimes immense traffic situation in Bangkok. Furthermore, it is conveniently located for the bustling Chinatown, closer to the unexplored parts of the city such as Thonburi, as well as match our wish to go beyond the beaten track. To sum up; more thai, less tourist:)

In regards to music, we have implemented rules so that music needs to be turned down after midnight and only with closed doors. This should have solved the issue with sleeping difficulties.

In all, we hope to welcome you at our guest house again and hope you had a nice trip.

On behalf of Visit Beyond and the staff at New Road Guest House,
Berit
Reviewed June 30, 2011

We stayed one night in a tiny room with completely rubbish ventilation. It was small and damp and the bed only had a bottom sheet and a ratty blanket. Not that more sheets would have helped - I came away with legs, back and arms covered in bed bug bites. No wonder the sheets are dark green... So you don't see the blood spots which are a good indication of bugs. I now look diseased and will have to wear long trousers and long sleeves until I can bear to bare my arms and legs. What a way to ruin a holiday.

• Stayed June 2011
3 Thank ChaFar
BeritBonde, Manager at New Road Guest House, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Traveller,

Thank you very much for your review. It highlights issues we are taking very seriously and we are truly sorry that your stay did not live up to your expectations.

In general, at New Road Guest House we want to care well for our adventurous travelers and mostly we succeed in doing so. Some travelers we do however not like to care for – The bedbugs!

In global travel today many Hotels and Guesthouses alike meet the bedbugs issue and we are taking the matter very seriously. Hence, we have installed new procedures since your stay with us. This is in aim of avoiding the problem all together at our property as well as help travelers get rid of bedbugs they may have caught other places.

THE FOLLOWING ACTIONS HAVE BEEN DONE:
• We have fully renovated air-condition and fan dormitories and are presently renovating backpacker rooms.
• We have new sheets, covers, and mattress covers.
• We spray rooms every two weeks to prevent the occurrence of bugs
• New procedures have been implemented should anyone have suspicion of bedbugs. This includes change to a new room, room cleaning till bedbugs free, steaming luggage etc.).

OUR TREATMENT PROCESS of a room where bedbugs has been discovered are the following:
• Remove all bedding and soft furnishings – we place these in sealed plastic bags to prevent the spread of bugs to other areas of the building. All items, which can be laundered, will be laundered at as high a temperature as the fabrics will withstand.
• Items, which cannot be laundered, will be put in a tumble dryer on a high setting for around 10 minutes. Any items, which are unable to be laundered or put in a tumble dryer such as suits etc., will be steam cleaned. Anything else may have to be sealed in plastic bags and discarded.
• All furniture will be vacuumed inside and out – this is ideal for getting rid of bed bug eggs and nymphs, which are very small and not easily spotted. We will again use a steam cleaner to kill any remaining eggs etc.
• Clear out any cracks and crevices, we have sealed up these hiding holes for good wherever possible! Vacuum the reminder of the room -leaving no piece of furniture, carpet, curtain, and cushion undone! We dispose the vacuum bag immediately making sure that it is sealed. Then follow the same route in the same rigorous manner using a steam cleaner.
• When carrying out this cleaning operation we also clean things such as picture frames and smoke alarms. We also get rid of any news papers, magazines etc. which may be lying around. These too are bagged and sealed whilst in the infected room and disposed of.
• Once we are satisfied that every corner has been cleaned we apply the bed bug spray, which will kill and prevent the bed bugs coming back.

HELP US AVOID TRAVELING BEDBUGS
As highlighted bedbugs have unfortunately become a common problem when traveling on a shoestring across Asia. However, we want to do something about it!

Please help us avoid traveling bed bugs by following these simple procedures:
• Let us know if you have encountered bedbugs another place, so we can help clean your luggage (we have a steamer for this purpose).
• Avoid putting backpacks and clothes on your bed.
• Please do not use (sheet) sleeping bags, but use the sheets provided.

As previously stated we want to cater for various travelers' needs and budgets and hence our room types includes everything from dormitories to superior rooms with fan and air-con. Prices are in general very low for the area (starting at 280 baht for a private room) and the backpacker room is a very good option if e.g. room size is not a priority. We do however wish our guests have a good experience which is also why we are currently renovating this type of room. This should also improve the ventilation issue you mention.

In all, we are glad you took the time to review our guest house and we hope the above has highlighted that we do in deed take the matter very seriously. We hope you, in spite of your negative experience, was able to enjoy the rest of your stay in Thailand.

On behalf of Visit Beyond and New Road Guest House,
Berit Bonde

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed March 21, 2011

On the outside of this guesthouse, it looks beautiful and clean!.. on the first floor.

When I arrived to this guest house I was surprised. It looked really nice and clean. There was even one staff member sitting outside and greeted us. I checked into this guesthouse with high hopes. Most of the reviews I read were very positive..
When I entered my room, I was completely shocked. It did not look like any of the pictures online. The room was tiny, no windows, dirty, and had bugs crawling all over the bed! There was a fan and air conditioner in the room that didn't work. In the corner of the room was a spot where there was a TV. It looked like the TV was ripped out because all the cables were stripped and just sticking out of the wall.
The bathroom was very small and dirty with a sliding door that would only open half way. There was no hot water and the water pressure was very weak. I complained to the front desk and told them that was not the room I booked and the a/c does not work. The staff said, "you did book it!" He then showed me a paper with my name that said it was a backpackers room. I did not book a backpackers room. I showed him a printout of the room I booked and the confirmation number, he acted like it was no big deal. So, I asked about the a/c. It worked when I first arrived but after a while it was completely shut off. He said, "You are in the backpackers room, you don't get a/c, only fan!" I then went on to say there are bugs in my room. He finally said, "I change room." The other staff next to him seemed annoyed and asked me, "what kind of bugs?" I said small and big ones that look like beetles. So he went up to my room to check. Before he went up to my room, I already killed the bugs and flushed them down the toilet. When he reached my room he asked, " where are the bugs?" I said, "I killed them and flushed them down the toilet." He laughed at me and asked how long I was going to stay? I originally booked a room for 5 days, but I just told him 1 night, "I'm gong to leave tomorrow morning."

In the new room, It was exactly like the pictures online but with small bugs everywhere! There is WIFI but it had a very slow and unreliable connection. In the morning, I asked if I could print something (my booking for another place to stay) and another staff asked, "what room are you in? You go back to other room!" I said, "I'm leaving, I just need to print this." She did not want me to use their computers, so she said, you email it to me, I will print. It took about 30 minutes to email her because of the unreliable network. When she saw what I wanted to print, her attitude completely changed.

This guesthouse is unreliable and unfriendly when they do not get what they want. Some rooms look decent while others are really old and run down. Bugs were in both of the rooms I was in, the old and the remodeled room. No hot water in either room. The location of the guesthouse is in a old, run down section of Bangkok. The skytrain is about 10-15 minutes away from the guesthouse.

What really got to me was not the condition of the rooms but how rude the the staff was once they don't get what they want.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Phil P
BeritBonde, Manager at New Road Guest House, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Traveler,

Thank you for taking your time to review our property. It is valuable feedback to us and we welcome all constructive criticism as it helps us improve.

For a start, we are glad that you felt welcome upon arrival, but of course truly sorry to hear that you had a bad encounter afterwards. We always strive to give our guests the best experience possible and mostly we succeed in doing so. However we sincerely regret that we did not meet your (or our) expectations in this matter.

We take the bugs issue very serious – They are unfortunately a part of life in Bangkok, however we prefer NOT to cater for them at our property! Hence, we have installed new procedures to regularly spray rooms for prevention purposes as well as instant procedures should they appear contrary to expectations (change to new room, cleaning, steaming etc.).

As you state, we have renovated most of the rooms and currently we are also improving the backpacker rooms in which you firstly stayed. We expect this to enhance the guest experience even though traveling on a budget.
In this effort, we are also looking into the problem in regards to water pressure. Bangkok is an old city and the issue may not be easily solved, however, we are aware and we are currently investigating all opportunities possible. Please bear with us and in the meantime we recommend that you leave the water running for a couple of minutes to heat it up (all rooms have hot water).

Also, in regards to WiFi, we are currently trying to identify root causes when it becomes slow and it is a great priority of ours to make it more stable and reliable. Hence, it has been flagged as high alert to our supplier and we expect them to take immidiate action.

In regards to confusion with rooms we use very simple classifications (dorm, backpacker room, standard, superior etc.), but when our guests book rooms through third parties such as hostelworld.com, the categories do not match. We have flagged the issue for our agents (incl. Hostelworld) several times, but they still have not been able to come up with a solution. We will however continue our effort to better match categories in order to avoid any confusion or wrong expectations for our guests.
For now, please accept our regrets for the staff attitude. We seek always to help our guests in the best way possible and make them feel welcome in which we normally succeed. Your experience was however not according to our own expecations and has been highlighted internally.

Lastly, in regards to the location we tend to find it a charming asset. It is very convenient for transportation even though traffic may be dense (river boats around the corner and skytrain 10-15 mins walk). Furthermore, it reflects the local life on the streets of Bangkok and is conveniently located for both the bustling Chinatown and the unexplored parts of Bangkok . We also have service guides at the hotel who will be able to tell you where to go and what to do in the area.

With the above we hope to highlight that as a result of guest feedback like yours, we have implemented a wide range of changes and improvements. We however truly regret that our service level and facilities did not meet expectations at the time of your stay. We hope we will have the chance to showcase a much higher service level should you by any chance pass by our property again.

On behalf of Visit Beyond and staff at New Road Guest House,
Berit Bonde
norfolk
Reviewed March 12, 2011

We stayed here at the end of our trip, however would be a great place to stay at the start of a trip as they offer a lot of help and advice, if you are looking for that.
We were a group of 11 and had no probs getting a room here. Price is average 1500 baht for room for 4. Rooms are excellent. nice bar open till midnight. Can be a bit rowdy at times though as all the youngsters in the dorms stay over that part.
Having said that you cannot here it from your bedroom. We thought breakfast was a bit expensive 160 baht so did not bother.

Hotel is in fab location for the sky train, sky bar. 10 minute walk to the sky train.

• Stayed March 2011
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Hi All. While this hotel is pleasant enough, it is NOT the "cheapie" described by Lonely Planet. I had checked the website prices and sent an email in to book a room. It turns out that all rates are *per person" rather than per room -- even for private rooms! The upshot is that my stay is DOUBLE the price. And, while the place is not bad, it is really, really overpriced! I'm on a 4th floor walkup and there was nobody to help with my bags. The "cable TV" is only 9 channels. And it doesn't even come with breakfast. If all of this really was 450 baht that would be fine, but at 900 baht this place is a total rip-off. And, YO, if you list prices for private rooms, it should be for the WHOLE ROOM not "per person." That's just a scam.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed August 28, 2010

My husband and I stayed just one night in this place, in between flights back from the UK to Australia. We discovered on returning to Australia that we were charged twice for the room. After contacting the hotel i was sent an email from a staff member promising to return the payment. Nothing was done. I called and emailed multiple times to follow this up but still nothing has been done. Now the bank is pursuing.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple