“Great hostel! But would have been better if closer to the trains”
Review of Roof View Place

Roof View Place
Ranked #321 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok
“Great hostel! But would have been better if closer to the trains”
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Good:
-Very clean room
-Free buffet breakfast: cereal, Thai food, fruits, toast with butter and jam, coffee
-Free bottle of water per person per day
-Located in a quiet area
-Near Khao San (15 minute walk)
-Free wifi
-400 baht only for taxi transport to or from hotel

Not so good:
-Would be better if the BTS/MTR were closer.

I liked out stay at Roof View. If you are looking for a place near Khao San but not as chaotic, this is the place for you. The staff, esp. Wang is also very friendly and helpful in answering our questions.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed August 17, 2010

Great place, staff were very helpful and the breakfast amazing. Handy to everywhere....within walking distance to most touristy places, if not taxi or tuk tuk on hand within minutes.

Room were small but all we needed to lay our weary bodies. Air conditioning worked great. Lovely shower!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Holland
Reviewed May 6, 2010

I stayed 3 times at Roof View Place and I recommend this place to anyone who loves to stay at a basic but very clean and cosy place. The hostel is in a real Thai area. Dark but wonderful, peaceful...a great experience just far enough from Khao San Area but still close to places to eat, drink and shop. The staff was great. I loved it and for sure I will go back again if ever again in BKK.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed April 25, 2010

Paid for a private twin ensuite. Room is small. Good that theres air conditioning.
No shower curtain.
In a very run down narrow area.

GOT NOOOOOOOOOO SLEEP. It must be by a main road because all I could hear is traffic all night and people downstairs and outside being loud. I was so tired but still couldn't fall alseep for a while until it got quiet around 1 or 2am. All you hear all night and all day are LOUD motorbikes zooming by.

Would not recommend if you want a peaceful sleep.

Must walk the stairs, but at least they have a small lift for luggage.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 25, 2010

The room quality varies, so it always pays to look at a few rooms and choose the best one. I chose a room at the back with one double bed and I haggled down the room price for 1 person to 700B - I thought it good value for Bangkok for a clean, air-con room with fridge, tv, hot water and small balcony with glass doors to let in light. It is getting out of season so easier to haggle for things.

I was pleased with the staff, friendly (sincere) and helpful but not too gushy.

The breakfast was good - eat as much as you like buffet. Whole wheat toast with marmalade or eggs. Cereal and fruit with fresh milk. Free tea / coffee all day is a nice touch too. I like places with breakfast included as it's always a good way to meet other travellers when you share tables.

Free wifi in the rooms with a decent speed.

Far away enough from Khao San Rd to avoid it, but not too far if needed e.g veggie burger from big burger chain - lovely western stodge after months in Asia, or nutella & banana pancake, banks etc.

Interesting little residential lane (Soi) with plenty of Thai massage places and restaurants nearby (Mai Khaidee vegetarian restaurant). I felt very safe walking around on my own, even in the dark during the early evening.

This hotel is so much better than anything I saw closer to Khao San Rd and cheaper too. I enjoyed Khao San Rd 20 years ago but things change and I now find it smelly, filthy, pretentious and full of harrassment from hard sales people and bed bugs.

Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Istanbul
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I would have written a good review for this place unless there were some tricky things. I'd booked the place via a hostel booking website and the booking form that I received was in US dollar which was very unusual in SE Asia. I thought that something went wrong while I was booking and didn't mind it much. But when I arrived the Roof View Place, the stuff at the reception desk wanted me to pay the amount in Thai Baht even though my booking form was in US dollar. She didn't accept the payment in US dollar and turned the US dollar into Thai Baht using a very high exchange rate. I sent an e-mail to the hostel booking site to ask whether there was something wrong about the booking form which was in US dollar but they replied me that the booking form in US dollar was the choice of the Roof View Place. I think this is the problem! The Roof View Place customizes a booking form in US dollar but doesn't accept the payment in US dollar! So they can use an exchange rate whatever they want. This is ridiculous and not fair for the customers! As soon as I got it I sent an another e-mail to the hostel booking site to ask if they could send me the booking form in Thai Baht and they could. When I went to the reception with my booking form in TB, it took me about half an hour to make the payment. Because the stuff at the reception desk didn't accept my booking form and the room rate in TB even though that was all clear and correct. And then she called other two stuff to discuss on it. They told me to wait for a while and when they called me again nothing was figured out. At this time the problem was the deposit I already paid in advance by my credit card but they said that it wasn't paid them. After I tried to explain the deposit issue and said something about their bad service, the stuff started to behave very rude and shouted at me. It was the most unprofessional manner I've ever seen! Eventually I could pay the amount on the booking form in TB after all those arguements. I'm on an Asia trip and so far I've visited about 10 hotels. None of them was like the Roof View Place. I don't have any bad memories of them. All the payments were in the country's own currency and nobody tried using exchange rate tricks to make some extra money.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank greenmalachite
Pescara
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We loved this place: clean, cozy and friendly. The location is fantastic, only few mins from Khaosan Rd. and surrounded by cool bars and caffe'. The breakfasts were the best we've had in any hostel and it changed a bit every day. Great value for money as you get free coffee and tea and a fridge for each room, not to mention a private wifi!! I strongly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple