“Overrated”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: basil is an award-winning Thai restaurant serving the finest authentic cuisine in a sophisticated setting. Diners can enjoy the exquisite flavors of traditional dishes made from fresh ingredients and presented with creative flair.
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Nice restaurant in 5 star hotel conflicting with plastic street-food-like menu with images, a pretty clumsy service and Western-adapted Thai food. Overrated.

GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Snafuz13,

First of all, may I thank you for dining at our Basil and for going to the trouble of sharing with me your feedback.

I am concerned to learn that you were disappointed with your dining experience. The menu with images is designed for our Korean and Japanese guests who prefer to see images of the food. I apologize if you were not offered our full normal a la carte menu. As for the taste, our service attendants should have enquired as to the level of spiciness you prefer. This has been brought to the attention of our Director of Food and Beverage to ensure the proper action has been taken to avoid the reoccurrence.

With regards to the set lunch / dinner menu, we are now implementing in Basil the iPad menu which more interesting and interactive.

We do hope that in spite of the incident, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to experience the service improvement.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

Went to Basil with high expectation, knowing it is more expensive but prepared to pay for a good meal. Had the set menu which include lobster with cashewnut. What an disappointment. Food tasted ok, but nothing more. I think some previous review was spot on about the spice being toned down for westerners.

There are a number of things we did not like

Food was cold, partly due to how it was presented. Four dishes served in individual mini plates, clumsy and unattractive. It looked more like food court food than 5 star. Lobster was fried in some kind of flour coating which tasted oily otherwise flavourless. Lamb curry was well cooked but lack of taste and yes, cold. The morning glory was also tasteless.

Food came too quickly between courses, we felt rushed and told the staff son who was indifferent, even cheeky by saying " next time you should inform us", I told him next time he should check with dinner not wait to be told.

The dessert was so bad, a piece of bruised mango. None of the dishes had any garnishes or any attempt to improve the appearance, if only the flavour delivers, but alas, they don't.

GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

Dear Justin H,

First of all, may I thank you for dining at the Basil. I was extremely concerned to learn of your disappointments with the dinner in Basil in terms of food and the services.

Naturally, the food was served right away after it had been cooked from the kitchen and as per Thai dining style both soup and main courses are served at the same time. However, due to few guests and low temperature of the dining area, it is possibly that it makes the food cool down very quickly. With regards to the lack of taste and decoration, your comment has been passed to the Director of Food and Beverage for further appropriate action to be taken.

With regards to the service pace, I am sorry to learn that the service was too fast for you and have emphasized our staff to pay more attention and listen more to the guests. I do apologize for your disappointments and I do hope in spite of the incident, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to experience the improvement.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

The Tom Yum Goong I had here was possibly one of the most delicious meals I've ever had. All the food was so tasty and I can safely say that it was one of the best places I have eaten in Thailand. Staff were attentive and friendly.

3  Thank Nicole G
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Nicole G,

Thank you very much for choosing to dine at basil and for the time that you have taken to share your feedback with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback and I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed the Tom Yum Goong prepared by Chef Kesinee and her team as well as the level of service. Your compliments have been shared with the team at basil and they all look forward to your next visit.

With Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 25, 2013

The food was very good and of course relatively pricey for bangkok, but you get a very posh location for it. I felt kinda out of place with my dirty traveling sneakers but it was no problem at all. Service is good as well, even though he first didn't want to believe me that i don't like seafood and looked at me as if i came from an other planet. But i'd definitely come back, just in a different outfit...

1  Thank lydiabaenziger

Dear lydiabaenziger,

May I thank you for choosing to dine at basil and for the time that you had taken to share your feedback with us.

I am pleased to read that you had enjoyed the food prepared by Chef Kesinee and the service provided by our team at basil. Your compliments have been shared with our team and they look forward to your next visit.

With Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

pro:
- nice atmosphere
- food is good im general (though my massaman curry caused some stomache problems)
con:
- value (too expensive for quality)
- poor wine list and ridiculously expensive 15 usd for a glass
- service hardly speaks english or so silent you can't understand them
- massam curry was too sweet, patatoe undercooked and lamb had some nasty fat on it which gave me quite the stomache ache

1  Thank vir2l
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this reviewResponded December 25, 2013

Dear vir2l,

First of all, may I thank you for the continuing support you have given to the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. I was extremely concerned to learn of your disappointments with the dinner in Basil in terms of food and the services.

Naturally, our service staff in all venues speak English, however, I have emphasized to our Director of Learning and Development to retrain our service staff in all restaurants to ensure that they are able to communicate effectively and confidently to the guests. With regard to the wine price, please be advised that the government have increased the excise and duty to more than 400% which very unfortunately make it extremely expensive for the consumer. We have two wine lists in the restaurant, one featuring the more appropriate grapes to enjoy with Thai food and another more comprehensive which has just won an award from Wine’s Spectator, USA; I apologize if you were not shown both lists.

Please accept my sincere apology and I assure that we will take appropriate measures to avoid a reoccurrence. I do hope in spite of the incident, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to experience the improvement.