“Fantastic”

Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: basil is an award-winning Thai restaurant serving the finest authentic cuisine in a sophisticated setting. Diners can enjoy the exquisite flavors of traditional dishes made from fresh ingredients and presented with creative flair.
“Fantastic”
Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

Went here on New Year's Day based on previous reviewers.

My mother is allergic to chicken. They could not have been more accommodating. The exec chef was out in a flash to ensure everything was ok when we ordered and the waiter was fantastic.

Food was fantastic - Mussaman curry awesome - veg spring rolls were lovely too.

Great restaurant, great chefs and staff.

Thank you Basil.

3 Thank Archipeligo
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Archipeligo,

May I thank you for choosing to dine with at basil and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

At basil and all our venues, we continuously strive offer the best service to our guests in order to create a memorable dining experience. Your positive comments certainly matches what we aim for and I have shared your comments with the chef and service team at basil to recognize their efforts.

We look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming your mother and yourself back to our restaurant.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent cuisine”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Very nice food.....probably as authentic you can get....good ambience.....they did however take an inordinately long time to get the baby chair

Visited December 2012
2 Thank RRC_1976
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear RRC_1976,

Thank you very much for sharing your recent dining experience at basil.

I am glad to read that you have enjoyed the authenticity of the cuisine offered. I would also like to apologize for the time taken to provide the baby chair and the inconvenience caused. This will be re-emphasized with the team at basil to ensure that such inconveniences do not reoccur.

My team and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back.

General manager
Bangkok, Thailand
“Worst Thai cuisine experience in a 5 Star Hotel in Bangkok!!!”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was a great fan of this hotel and the award-winning Rossini Restaurant. I give the neighbour Basil Thai Restaurant a try on the evening of 13/Dec/12.
The atmosphere is good, with modern take on deco, and cosy but surprisingly not the food although the Chef even offering cooking classes I saw from the website.
I ordered the 4 course set dinner. The tom yum soup was lacking in taste at all, too mild, lac of soup base stock like prawn and chicken, no depth at all. Not spicy enough, only full of mushroom, the green curry isn't tasty at all, not enough coriander that was why the colour wasn't green at all let alone the taste of it, and cooked only with chicken breast meat. It should have mixed with more tasty part of the meat like thigh and leg.
The manager should have recommended a beef instead knowing the next dish is also a chicken. The chicken dish is stir fried with dried chilli and cashew nuts and totally lack of taste. Not enough fire/flame in the cooking. This a Chinese influenced dish no doubt but a far cry. Last dish was a simple stir fried mix veg, acceptable. Dessert awful. I think the chef here thought they are mainly serving to their guests mainly made up of European and the Westerner that was not familiar with Thai food at all, therefore all the taste and chilli has toned down significantly to a point it has no taste for the Asian palette that are familiar with Asean cuisine esp. Thai food. Mind you that when I was in Phuket Marriott not long ago i noticed many European knows and loved the Hot and Spicy Thai food.
One would expect to get a wow factor from Basil, for the kind of 5star luxury hotel restaurant standard and for the price you are paying but NO, Not really, it's a far cry from any restaurant, even the food court from shopping mall-Terminal 21 served better Tom Yum Koong!!! Look at the picture below.
Overall Service was so so ... Thai cuisine serves everything together at one go other than dessert, so it's less demanding in service relatively compared to any French/Italian cuisine. So quality of service is nothing compared to next door Rossini.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Phillip T
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Phillip T,

First of all, may I thank you for the continuing support you have given to the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit. I was extremely concerned to learn of your disappointments with the dinner in Basil in terms of food and the services. With regards to the lack of taste or spiciness, our kitchen should be more aware of the fact that our guests especially the Asian are more accustomed to spicy Thai food and they should have adjusted the recipes accordingly. In the future, our staff will enquire when taking the order the desired level of spiciness.

With regards to the service and the failure to offer beef green curry instead of chicken green curry knowing that the next dish will be chicken, I cannot offer any explanation except the complete oversight on behalf of the Service Manager, for which I apologize.

Please accept my sincere apology for this unacceptable standard provided by the hotel and I assure that we will take appropriate measures to avoid a reoccurrence. I do hope in spite of the incident, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to experience the improvement.

London, United Kingdom
“Good food”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Food andc service were great they were very attentive.If I have a complaint it would be the decor a bit cold also with the aircon on doubly so.Went to the bar on the same floor after for drinks and to watch the jazz which was pleasant.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Adrian186338
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear Adrian186338,

Thank you for the time you have taken to outline the positive points of your dining experience and your points of constructive criticism. The time you have taken to comment is highly appreciated and well received in assisting us to maintain the exceptional experience for which we are renowned.

Moreover, I am glad that you have enjoyed your visit to The Living Room after your dinner.

We look forward to welcoming you back to basil and The Living Room.

New York City, New York
“Excellent food with a higher price tag”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were staying in the Sheraton and after a long day did not have much energy to leave the hotel. We instead went for the Basil Thai restaurant in the hotel since they were not busy and no reservation needed on this night. We were not disappointed! The service and food were top notch. The food quality was excellent, the presentation of the dishes is superb, and the portions are generous. The atmosphere is nice with private rooms available for larger groups. This is more upscale Thai so you pay more, but for a nice evening out it is worth it. This restaurant is not overly formal, but not a typical casual restaurant you find on the street. I would go back if in the hotel or area again.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank MJames88
GMSGS, General Manager at Basil, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear MarkS41,

Thank you for sharing your recent dining experience at basil with us.

We welcome all feedback as it is an important tool in helping us to maintain our standards. Moreover, the experience you shared certainly matches the dining experience that we aim for and I will certainly share your kind words to the team to recognize their efforts.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.