“A bit more than acceptable, but not the best location in Bangkok.”

I Residence Hotel Sathorn
Ranked #474 of 1,385 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one day and one night. The people at the reception desk were very nice and helpful. Quick process to check in and the luggage was handled swiftly.

Supper and breakfast were included in our package. Supper was a real treat in Thai cuisine, a bit spicy and hot for Americans and Europeans, though. Breakfast was also good with several choices. The rooms were spacious enough and the beds comfy.

Our only concern was the location: a bit rundown neighborhood and far from BTS or Metro Stations. Avoid taking tuk-tuks or unscrupulous taxis in this area or anywhere in Bangkok: either too much pollution or scam attempts from drivers who will offer you a discount provided they take you to discounted jewelry, taylor or silk shops. Avoid those by all means and get out of the taxi as soon as you can. Please keep in mind that Thai people are generous and well-meaning, just stay away from those that want to take advantage of your lack of knowledge of Bangkok.

If you must take a taxi, budget traffic jam time for your journey, make sure the driver knows the place where you are going and that he will take you there, negotiate the price before getting into the taxi, or just ask for "meter, please". Most taxis are equipped with tables that tell you how much you should pay by distance, by time, etc.

The metro, the BTS and the Sky Train (the latter going to or from the airport) are by far the best ways of transport to move around Bangkok. Just make sure you have enough change for the rides. The day pass also exists, so decide what fee you want to take.

This hotel, however, has many bus lines go nearby, so if you are comfortable with traffic and have lots of time, you might as well enjoy this very, but very cheap means of transportation from the hotel.

At the time of our arrival, the hotel shuttle or tuk-tuk were not available so we decided to walk around to do some grocery shopping: two grocery stores nearby, the one closer less expensive than the other. A lot of traffic early in the morning and in all directions.

Room Tip: Request rooms in quiet place if you want to avoid street noise. They normally cater to requests when...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

I used service from this hotel often.(since 2011-2013), and I used superior room, deluxe and this time I booked for deluxe but they upgraded me to family suite room in 8th floor.Thank you very much! Room was great! There are 2bedrooms (bigger in left,smaller in right)i think that very good for family indeed. it's an ordinary bathroom. But nice small kitchen .Comfortable bed. Location is a bit far from mrt (if walk) Convenience stores and market nearby .(I stayed in room 802....very nice)

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I am writing this posting as I am still checked into this hotel and enjoying one more week before leaving to go home in USA. I cannot find no faults with my stay at I Residence Sathorn considering the price I paid ( aprrox: $30) US. For a property in this price range, I feel I it met my expectations and was only enhanced by the service and clean superior room I had Room 605. The room had no view, but that was ok because it was located away from neighboring construction noise, and on the cool side of the building. The bed was comfortable, the closet space spacious, the breakfast included was adequate for the price paid. The complementary Tuk Tuk service to BTS was great, but many times I just walked over the Sathorn Bridge to Silom (. 15 minutes) and when I came back I just hopped a Tuk Tuk or Taxi back to the hotel for 40 Baht ( little more than $1 US)..
The neighborhood was lively without being conjested like Patpong, and I found a great French, Italian, Thai, and Pizza Restaurant all located within meters of the hotel. 7-11 stores very close, and Home Delivery of food to hotel is available 24 hours on the Internet.
STAFF SERVICE STANDOUTS: ANNY IN RESERVATIONS & EDISON FRONT DESK. However I found all the staff courteous , happy, and caring. Just be friendly to them, and they will return the favor. I am sure there a cheaper places to stay on a monthly basis, but when 2 people split the cost of the room for 30 days with breakfast, it came out to $15 US per day per person. Tell me where in the world can you pay that price without staying in a backpackers hotel?

I will be looking forward to staying here many times as I visit Thailand for extended periods.

TIP: Book directly on the hotels website for the best rates. ( I am not affiliated with this hotel in any way, I live and work in Hawaii.

Room Tip: If you are willing to pay the best rate for a room without a view, in the rear of the building ask f...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank davewaikiki
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We arrived into Bangkok at 2AM and had emailed the hotel notifying them of our arrival time - so they were expecting us and check in was really fast. Even though the lobby is really small, the hotel room was big and the bed was comfy. They provided 2 free bottles of water (which seems to be a custom in a lot of hotels in the Southeast Asia region) and they have free wifi but they give you a 2-hour limit. They were nice and gave us 4 hours even though we were there for only 1 night. Overall, nice hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 5, 2013

A clean hotel. I was upgraded as they wre booked out of the cheaper rooms. Thank you! Room was great! Big, Nice but ordinary bathroom. Comfortable bed. Location is a bit tricky..long way to Silom and BTS
Convenience stores nearby good. There is a building site right next door....so very noisy......

Room Tip: Try to get a room up high away from the construction area.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Staffs are friendly and helpful though you might have to wait up to 30 minutes for check-in and check-out process. Ordering food and drinks on the rooftop cafe/restaurant takes sometime too.
Location is great as it is a walking distance to a BTS station which connects you to all the major attractions in BKK, or you can walk to Silom in 10 minutes. It is quiet enough to get a good night sleep after a busy day.
Rooftop swimming pool is rather small but clean and you have it to yourself most of the time.
I stayed in a double room and it was nice. The bed takes most of the space but it so big and so comfy that it was so hard to get up! Bathroom comes in a proper size and very clean.
Highly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 19, 2013

If you can look after yourself and get on with enjoying yourself in BKK ... this is a good base and quiet hotel to do it from. It's not really walking distance with luggage from the BTS, so get a tuk tuk or taxi - worth it !

The rooms are good, clean and the beds are comfortable. You get a fridge, microwave, and tea/coffee + 2 btls of small water each day. 15 mins walk from BTS st, but at least it is quiet ! My priority. We also have a small balcony and the AC works well.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends