“Excellent pizza”

Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Leeds
“Excellent pizza”
Reviewed March 11, 2012

The pizza was very good with thin crust but perfectly baked. Service wasn't the best and it's location on the street means there was a good view of people walking past.

Visited March 2012

• Thai first
Chiang Mai, Thailand
“Reliable Italian at reasonable prices”
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Sala Rossa is a good, reliable establishment. It's my 'local Italian'.
Food is good, honest Italian 'home style' cooking.
The wine list is extensive.
Service is attentive.
Ambiance is old-style Italian- cheerful if a little gaudy.
Everything from pizza to meats, seafoods and a good range of deserts all well presented.

• Visited March 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
“Very good reasonably priced Italian food tucked away down a Thai Soi.”
Reviewed January 20, 2012

Just had another pizza from this place. Lovely thin crust, wood fired oven, and really inexpensive. Friendly service, in the cavernous dining room. Good for what it is, recommend highly!

• Visited January 2012
Sierra Madre, California
“most disappointed dinner in Bangkok”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

We come to Bangkok a lot for business and have eaten at a felt million restaurants in town over the last years. Without exaggerating the situation: we've probably never been as disappointed of a restaurant as we were of the SALA ROSSA.

But let me tell you our story:

we stayed at the HANSAR (which btw is a great place!) and wanted to have something simple - so just went across the street as the place looks neat and promising.

We sat down and pretty quickly got some homemade pizza bread and tomato salsa - which was delicous. So we had high hopes.

I ordered a mixed salad and penne all'arrabiate and my husband went with their chicken dish on the menu. Furthermore, we decided to have a carafe of red wine.

1.) DON'T fall for the carafe! The 700 Baht is a lot more than you would pay for the glass drinking the same amount. (I had a glass of wine at the end to check that - as we felt so cheated on.)

2.) The salad was good; also the dressing was good.

However:

3.) The chicken was overcooked and the gravy was not at all tasty. I'm German and in Germany we have MAGGI (a sauce powder that comes in every flavor you can imagine) that makes better sauces than this was.

4.) The portion of my pasta was small (ridiculously small for the price) but not horrible. I had to spice it up to make it tasty. I asked for some chilies (which shouldn't be too difficult in Thailand to get some) ... which took them literally another 5 minutes. - I forced myself to eat slow ...

5.) On the other hand, they were really fast bringing me some parmesan cheese. As I love parmesan cheese, I generously sprinkled it over my penne, took the first bite - and noticed that the cheese had gone bad. As I hadn't eaten a lot of my dish yet (waiting for my chilies), the parmesan just ruined the complete meal. When they then brought me the chilies, I complained about the cheese and asked them to bring me a new dish.

6.) They were really fast preparing my penne anew but had (taking the bad dish back) taken also the chilies away. At that point, however, I just wanted to get out of there, so shut up, ate my pasta (which all in all was ok...), we paid and left.

So all in all:

- the service was really slow and didn't speak a lot of English
- the food & service was not at all what we expected for those prices
- the price of the wine was OUTRAGEOUS for what we got.

We (even though we stay in BKK a lot) would NEVER come back to the SALA ROSSA.

• Visited September 2011
2 Thank Birgit235
Alice Springs
“Great Food At Little Prices!!”
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Loved this restaurant. Staying over the road at Hansar which has limited dining options so checked this place out after a hard day's shopping. Yummy thin crust wood fired pizza. Prices great - highly recommend a meal at this restaurant!