“Steak was good but not great”

Fireplace Grill and Bar
Ranked #233 of 11,173 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Grill
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Bangkok's Legendary Steakhouse Since 1966 Diners will enjoy relaxed, yet impeccable service at Fireplace Grill, one of the top recommended restaurants in Bangkok. Start your evening with one of our signature cocktail, then select one of the many prime steak cuts and French classics paired perfectly with an outstanding and well balanced wine list.
Reviewed November 30, 2013

The bread was excellent, the starter (Salmon Tartar) was good, the Steak was good but not great, I did not like the mashed potatoes (very faty but little taste), the red wine sauce neither, but the tomato salad was good. The wine was very good allthough very expensive too, the desert was good, the espresso was bad. The total came to 7000 Baht - about USD 200.

There are newer reviews for Fireplace Grill and Bar

Reviewed October 4, 2013

I went to Fireplace Grill for dinner on a Thursday evening.

After some suggestions from my server, I ordered the Wagyu 4+ with Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, beef jus and horseradish sauce.

The wagyu was excellent, one of the best I have ever eaten.

Service was excellent. Ambience was great. Prices were on the high side.

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had dinner at Fireside Grill on a Monday night because we were staying at the Intercontinental Hotel. We were quite surprised to see that there were so few other diners because we felt the food was excellent. The prices were hotel prices, but we felt it was a good deal because you could be sure of reliable quality, supervised by the Intercontinental hotel management. However, we don't appreciate having to buy a bottle of water in an expensive restaurant (most expatriate residents of Bangkok filter their tap water for drinking), but that seems to be the practice in most fine dining places in Bangkok, including Fireside Grill. We just don't need to be shown the label, cradled in the waiter's hands, as if it is a bottle of wine. When the free starter bread is delicious, you usually can tell the food will be delicious. The bread at Fireside Grill is delightful, and we would have eaten more, but we were afraid of losing our appetite. We enthusiastically recommend the Ralph's tenderloin (the least expensive of the three grades of steak) with truffle mashed potatoes, and truffle mushroom soup. We were in the mood for steak, so we decided against the prime rib. Perhaps the best part of the meal was the amuse bouche: a cut of tuna sashimi rolled in white and black pepper and seared to hold in the flavor. A collop of light sour cream on top contained shavings of horseradish. We were told that teams of cooks compete with each other to create the most original amuse bouche. The team that created this one should have been given an award. We tried the strawberry crepes Suzette for dessert just to see what it was like. It was tasty and interesting, prepared on a cart by our table. But next time we would order the more traditional orange crepes Suzette. Strawberries lend themselves better to Strawberries Sinatra. This is an incomplete review because we did not order wine. We understand that Fireside Grill has been in Jakarta for the last 45 years, and the owner is very proud of its reputation. Even the napkins are folded in an interesting arrangement on each plate. Management tries to keep the atmosphere quiet and refined. We understand that young children are not encouraged to dine at Fireside Grill. Service and atmosphere were excellent, and we felt the price was competitive. We have not yet had a tastier steak in Bangkok.

1  Thank Staidthere
Reviewed June 26, 2013

I have eaten at Fireplace about ten times over the past several years. Most of my experiences have been positive.

The executive lunch sets allow one to sample the menu a bit without the cost of the full steak dinner, but the reality is that the magic is about that steak dinner and the cut quality on the full menu is understandably much better than that included in the much cheaper executive lunch.

As my title refers to, the bread is wonderful here. Individual personal micro-loaves are served cooked in little clay pots. The soft just out of the oven bread some butter naturally melting -- tasty goodness.

The courses are spread out over a longer duration, so do not expect a one hour lunch here. I would allocate 90 to 120 minutes for lunch of several courses. The onion soup is always good. The Caesar salad is always nice. The irony is that on the lunch cut, the actual wagyu beef cut is probably the least interesting dish one is served. Thusly, I would recommend that you go a la carte and make the investment in trying their full line of cuts. If on a budget and prefer the fixed set, beware of the 350++ Pellegrino bottles that they will continually refill without asking. One meal I found that 30% of my group's bill for lunch was bottled water!!!!.

I do have a concern on the lunch set though. The lunch set always seems to give me the runs. This has happened every time I had the executive lunch set, but not when I order a la carte and so I am not sure which dish does not agree with my system. Nonetheless, it tastes terrific going down. Also, I am sensitive to MSG and I suspect that products which have MSG or MSG-like are used as I get my standard MSG headache, scratching, and fatigue after a lunch here. Again, it remains tasty.

The Fireplace has been around for a long time. The inside is very cozy but there are sometimes groups of drunken or nearly drunken people who make a lot of noise in an otherwise quiet and relaxing place and the staff will not say anything, so pick a table over to one of the corners away from any potential noise makers who might reduce your relaxation.

My experiences are not entirely positive, but I will continue to return on occasion.

Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

This was a last minute choice, and based solely on reviews carried here. We were not disappointed. The rib eye is one of the best I have had, the quality of the starters was superb and the service was just the right balance between attentive and interfering. It all comes at a price that is high by Bangkok standards but not when compared to European pricing. I would definitely come back here again the next time I am in Bangkok.