“Friendly and quiet, great value”

Baan Sukhumvit Inn Soi 18
Ranked #66 of 731 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 29, 2009

My husband and I stayed at Baan Sukhumvit twice in January en route to other destinations in Thailand. We really enjoyed our stay and would definitely come again.

Highs
- very quiet (secluded soi off sukhumvit road)
- staff was always helpful and friendly
- breakfast was great, nice variety and service (and included in price of room)
- location convenient to skytrain and metro access
- rooms were clean, modern and had nice amenities
- rooftop terrace was a great touch
- free internet access (wireless and a nice pc for common use)

My one piece of advice is to print out the directions in Thai to the hotel to show to your taxi driver - could be a little hard to find without those directions!

Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank lj55

Reviewed January 21, 2009

I stayed at their sister hotel in Soi 20 (see my other review) in February 08 and here in November 08. This hotel is even better and is different in the following ways:-

its modern and totally new inside;
VERY quiet laneway (read silent!)
fresh smelling bathroom
roof top sitting area (too hot for me though!)
in-room safe

The staff are great at this hotel - although I missed chatting to Kevin as he as at the other hotel! Our air-con stopped working and the staff had it working again (blown fuse) in minutes!!

We had a problem with the hot water not coming on till a couple of mintues of running the shower and then it ran out very quickly. We didn't ask the staff to fix it - so I really don't know if this is a common problem.

The beds don't have a 'sheet' - just a doona with cover. I really think that a sheet should be standard. I asked for one - and got one straight away. The beds are very firm - but I prefer this over a sloppy/springy bed. I just sleep on top of the doona - using it like a topper and sleep under the sheet I asked for !!

I love this place and will continue to stay here in the future. Its great value. Keep up the good work!

My favourite Pad Thai place is outside the Lexus showroom in Soi 18 - the lady is lovely - she has a fully made up face each day and remembered us from our last stay ! Very clean & disposable chopstick. Seek her out!

Great massages on the corner of the soi 18 to the hotel too.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ruatraveller
Reviewed December 31, 2008

What can I say...it was like having friends who happen to own an Inn. We just spent two visits to Baan Sukhumvit 18 with a trip to Bangladesh in the middle....it was heavenly to arrive back at Baan Sukhumvi 18 and Thong Bai (sp?) and her welcoming staff. The hotel itself is beautifully appointed and very clean. When we first arrived and the taxi drove down the narrow street we were apprehensive...but we found it to be a lovely gem in a vibrant area. We would love to make it back to Thailand in the near future...and Baan Sukhumvit 18 will be an easy hotel choice!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank meehanmom
Reviewed December 21, 2008

What an amazing little hotel. Down an ordinary Bangkok alleyway is this shining little gem. No kidding. When our taxi turned into Soi 18 I thought "Uh oh", then we saw it and walked in. It's place of stylish comfort, in the most unexpected of locations. And it's only a couple of strides away to the Skytrain, so a quick access to Bangkok's big places.

The staff were terrific - friendly and helpful. The rooms were lovely, clean, comfortable and very, very stylish. The wine was a little expensive though. Free internet and good food. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank OzzieBrunei
Reviewed December 7, 2008

i've just returned from my one month vacation in the dream land "Thailand" . In Bangkok i stayed in this cosy, homy, uterly clean & friendly hotel, and it just couldn't be better, the hotel got all the Amenities of a 5 star plus hotel, the plus is his staff , "thongbai" you are wonder woman she did miracles to put me back on my flight home after last airport's situation, Kevin the owner will literarly offer his experienced help on anything you need to know you just have to ask, the hotel is just Magnificent with a 3 min walk to asok station and a 1 min 7/11 and just around the corner there is "rembrant massage" for a heavenly foot massage say hi to "digi" and her heartfelt smile.
all in all, anyone going to Bangkok would be crazy not to stay here because you'll miss the meaning of the word "Thai hospitality". a huge thank you to all of the staff there and specialy thongbai for all what she is.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Cash-Beh
Reviewed November 17, 2008

After reviewing opinions on this and other sites I chose to stay Baan Sukhumvit 18. I was very happy with my choice and can definately give this place a big double thumbs up!! pls refer to their website for photo's as I beleive they are the better quality to see, I chose the higher standard room (extra 100 baht in price difference) and it there is no doubt in my mind this standard is at a "4 star standard". 6-8 minute walk to the skytrain and from there bangkok is at your mercy. priced @ 2000bt a night and this standard is definately a bargain. Staff were great, friendly as is the norm in Thailand. This establishment is classed as a guest house not as a hotel, and in my opinion is suited best for couples or families with older children, I was on the top floor (5th) and there were only 2 rooms on that floor plus a very clean staff laundry and bathroom . Located near restaurants ,bars and thai massage centres truely a great place for unwinding after hectic days of shopping til your feet hurt!! Book with confidence people. wont be disapointed.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed November 15, 2008

We stayed at this lovely little property last month in between side trips up to Chiang Mai and Kanchanaburi. We hadn't prebooked as we wanted to check out several properties in the vicinity first. We decided on the Baan Sukhumvit @ Soi 18 as it was very tastefully decorated and exceptionally clean (and much newer than their sister property @ Soi 20). We also liked the fact that it is tucked away at the end of a small laneway so it is very quiet. The staff were really lovely and went out of their way to assist us, they also stored our luggage when we did an overnight tour. There is free internet in the small lobby / dining area as well. If you want a more personal experience than staying in large hotels, then this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple