“Great food and relaxing atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

Himali Cha Cha Restaurant
Ranked #1,316 of 10,632 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Silom
Adelaide, Australia
“Great food and relaxing atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2014

I have only eaten at the restaurant situated in Soi 47/1 Charoenkrung, so I'm not able to compare it to the other Himali Cha Cha outlets.

I'm not a big fan of Indian cuisine and when in Thailand I prefer to eat mostly Thai food. However, I decided to try this place for the first time 26 years ago on the recommendation of one of the (then) part-owners of the restaurant, whom I met whilst trekking in Nepal.

I was impressed by the tandoori chicken followed by a dish of mutton korma which was somehow prepared despite a major power outage in Bangrak at the time! I have been back many times since and have not had a meal there that I have not enjoyed.

The décor and quiet atmosphere along with the soft background music and excellent service make this place worth visiting. When in doubt about an item on the menu, the waiter/waitress has always been very patient in explaining just what the dish consists of and how it is prepared.

One thing I have noticed is that the restaurant never appears to be really busy and on a few occasions I have been the only customer. This could possibly be partly due to the location, a small Soi off Charoenkrung, not a spot passed by pedestrian traffic.

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank hazh

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Espoo, Finland
“Our favourite Indian restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

This is our favourite Indian restaurant thoughout the world, including India. I have been coming to Himali from the beginning of 1990's always when visiting Bangkok, approximately 1-2 times a year.

The menu is comprehensive, food is tasty, but not too spicy. The athomphere is cosy and service very friendly.

Visited February 2014
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“An Oasis in the chaos of BKK”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Excellent food...Excellent ambience...Good service...a relaxed atmosphere...a must try atleast once. Had one of the most most succulent chicken kababs. It was oasis of calm and peace, especially after 2-3 hectic days of enjoying the sight and sounds of BKK. My wife loved the backyard as it had small pool surrounded by trees and wooden bench to sit.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Gops15
Kalyan, Maharashtra, India
“Fantabulous!!!!!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

After spending couple of days in Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok and trying their all restaurants, I was very desperate to find out restaurant serving vegetarian Indian food. One afternoon decided to explore the city and found Himali Chacha, very close to Mandarin. Quite impressed by the cleanliness and ambience coupled with soothing music. I liked their aloo mutter and crisp naan. Very good taste!!!!!!!!! Needless to say till I returned to India never visited any other place for my lunch and dinner!!!!!! Also had the opportunity to meet the owner Kovit and his wife who shared interesting information about his father, the founder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
“An old favourite, still worth a visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Thirty years ago there really wasn't the choice of Indian restaurants that there is today is busy and prosperous Bangkok. But Himali Cha Cha was there when I first moved to Bangkok, and was the scene of many a long lunch and dinner. I've never had any issues with the food, except that I've perhaps eaten too much of it. They do a good job of all the Indian standards, the naan is good, and the tandoori dishes excellent. Yes, I guess some of the newer Indian restaurants are more sumptuous, but I still enjoy a trip down to the old part of town near the river ... good food, a bit of history, and lots of memories.

• Visited December 2012