“Very Decent Hostel not on Khao San!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of HQ Hostel Silom

HQ Hostel Silom
Ranked #114 of 1,158 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Seattle
“Very Decent Hostel not on Khao San!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Finally, I have found a great place to stay close to MRT and BTS! I only wish I would have found this place earlier in my trip and it would have saved me a ton of money on tuk tuks and taxis. Rooms are clean (most importantly) and a good value for the $$ (also important). The location is also hard to beat with both the subway and skytrain 5-9 minute walk down the main road; impossible to get lost or turned around. From HQ, I easily traveled to Khao San via Chao Praya river (last stop on skytrain), China town, Mo Chit station for the huge weekend market, MBK and everywhere I needed to go!

The staff is friendly and helpful; again wish I would have stayed her earlier. My only critiques: the aircon in my room would start to make loud noises if left on for more than an hour or so. Kind of bothersome when trying to sleep, but not as bad as no ac/fan at all! Also, my particular room only had a small locker with space enough for only a small day bag, not my whole pack. I was able to secure all the important things, but it would be nice to have larger secured storage.

Room Tip: If you are not particular about mixed dorm rooms or how many beds in a room, ask if a bed is open on...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank adagio74

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

The basic requirements for a good hostel are location, cleanliness, security, Wifi and friendly staff. And in my opinion, HQ Hostel has it all covered.

Located in the bustling area of Silom and a couple of minutes' walk from Sala Daeng Station, locating HQ is a breeze, as compared to the few other hostels I've been to in Bangkok. With the malls practically only a minute's stroll away, you'll never run out of things to do or eat, if you're too lazy to venture out of the area. For Muslim travelers, across the street from HQ, in the alley where food stalls come to live in the day, is a stall selling Halal Bryani. Also, on separate occasions, I came across Muslim brothers selling a variation of Singapore's roti prata / Malaysia's roti canai, on mobile stalls. Halal food is not difficult to find in this area, if you're not picky, and do a little research.

Standards of cleanliness is important to a hostel's standing. In HQ, the common area is well-kept, and communal bathrooms mostly clean and dry enough for you to not think twice about entering the shower without footwear.

Security is ensured with the card key system, as persons without the card will not be able to access the rooms. Additionally, reception is operational 24/7.

Wifi is crucial for the modern traveller, and at HQ, Wifi is available throughout the hostel. However, the signal is much stronger in the lower floors and common area, than up on my floor. A clever way to encourage guests to convene in the living room, to upkeep the backpackers' environment and atmosphere. Also, 2 computers are available for free usage at the living room, if you're without your device.

A hostel's staff is most essential in creating the best atmosphere of ease, comfort, and spirit of community. The hostel team here, headed by the Manager, Good, are nothing short of polite, friendly and helpful.

HQ Hostel is one of the slightly pricier hostels on this side of Bangkok, however, its fab location and warm staff might just make it up for you.

Will definitely return in future!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Nora Suzanna A
Singapore, null, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

Good hostel. Maybe it is not the best in Bangkok, but I am sure it is the really good one to stay. The location is really great ! It is in the center of Bangkok city and you can take only 40B train from international airport to Bangkok Train station and get 18B MRT to there ! If you arrive at Bangkok International Suvarnabhumi Airport, you can take BTS to there directly !
The staffs are really good. Some of them helped me a lot ! Thanks them again!
The room is clean and Wifi is really good !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Jonathan L
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stay at HQ Hostels for 3 night and book a private room. The hostels is clean, I love and enjoyed relaxing at the lounge.

I am glad to be part of the Kratong making in conjuction with the Loy Krathong Festival.

The hostels staff are very friendly and helpful. Glad to have spent my last night with them till the wee hours.

Location of the hostels are good... its nearby to BTS, Silom Complex, Night Market, Food place and 24hrs convenience store. I will definately return here for my next visit.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank ArifDollah
Manila
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Loved my stay at HQ, except perhaps for the first night when my friends and I had to carry all our luggage up four flights of stairs. They don't have elevators and there was only one person manning the front desk so she wasn't of much help. (You have to understand why I complain: we were really tired, and our cargo must have weighed a ton, and it was past midnight. Anyway, there are plenty of places to get a massage in the Silom area.). We had six people in our group so we had an entire room for ourselves. The beds are comfy and clean but the bathrooms are not well stocked (they don't refill the soap and shampoo canisters) and the toilets have no bidets.

I wish I had more time to stay at HQ. We were in Bangkok for four days only so I didn't really get to meet other young people and just hang out in their cozy lounge. One of the hotel staff took a couple of us to Bangkok's biggest night market though and that was awesome. Since there's no memo/poster about these weekend sightseeing/food trip activities, better ask whoever's at the front desk for information.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Pee B
Shanghai
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We booked this hostel for our last night in Bagkok. The location is not good, but we just wanted to be close to Nahm restaurant for our last dinner in Thailand. We though it would be better than the super cheap hostels we had been booking during the 10 days we spent in this amazing country but it was very disappointing!!
They gave us a private room but without toilet, althought the price was really high for a hostel. The air conditioning didn´t work properly, so we had to change the room. We chose a room with private toilet so we had to pay more, and then we realized the toilet was inside the room but literally next to the bed! No door to separate! Just a curtain! I don´t really enjoy using the toilet next to my partner, to be honest...that is not my idea of a romantic last night in Bagkok, you know...Moreover, the room was really noisy...
You can find cheaper hostels in Bangkok with better location. The rooms are expensive just because it is quite new, and the decoration is quite fasionable, but who cares about that when you care a backpacker in Bangkok? We just wanted to have a good rest, a comfortable bed and a clean private toilet!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CristinillaShanghai
architop, Owner at HQ Hostel Silom, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear CristinillaShanghai,

First of all, thank you for your review and compliment about our cleanliness in our hostel from the rating. And we deeply apologize that our design and experience are not what you are looking for and made you feel uncomfortable with our design and location. The idea behind "no door" is too give a sexy mood for our guests who stay like a couple which most of them quite like the feeling and atmosphere.

And we are very sorry that the noise that you hear came from our location where the central of Bangkok, Silom; the downtown financial district of Bangkok. So it's one of the busiest-during day-time area in Bangkok and I believe we have the most convenience transportation system available in Bangkok. This might be cause some noise in our hostel. However, during night time, we never have such comments before so we will explore and improve if this will cause any annoyance to our guests in the future.

Thank you very much.

HQ hostel management team
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

The location is so convenient. Initially having some difficulties to find the place. I asked one of the street motor bikers to bring me to the place for only 50 bath. It would be advisable to bring a map along. Look for Citibank and also Standard chartered bank. There is a small road next to Bangkok bank.

The place is very clean, bed is comfortable, friendly staff, high speed internet access. I spent my three nights there and would definitely come back in December again! If you have a IPAD, bring that with you too!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends