“Best British food in Bangkok”
Review of The Black Swan

The Black Swan
Ranked #1,489 of 11,173 Restaurants in Bangkok
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

I've lived in Bangkok a year now and I've not had better British food any where else.
I always bring my friends and dates here as I want them to feel what a pub back in Britain is like.
I've always found the staff cheerfull and polite.
The portions are good to, especially the breakfast which I have yet to fully eat all.

There are newer reviews for The Black Swan

Reviewed December 18, 2012

Myself and my girlfriend went to have a nice traditional english roast and that's exactly what we got. Good portion and the ingredients are what would you expect for a english roast, i.e. not an asian version of a roast.

Good taste of home!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

It's been a while since I visited the Black Swan, but its name came up recently when someone else rated it highly, at least for drinks.

I can certainly say the food is good and the servings more than adequate, as evidenced by their fishcakes, for example, which are more akin in size to a fruitcake. I don't tend to order Thai food in a British, or an Irish, pub. The drinks choice is ok, and the staff, when I have been there, have been friendly enough. And after 18 years, I've seen, heard and experienced every Thai variation on the service theme.

The pub is on the small side, but then again, it's cosy. And, yes, the spiral staircase might be innovative but it was seemingly designed with a lighthouse keeper's needs in mind. I take it that Celab99's reference to the first floor, means, in fact, the ground floor. Most, if not all, pubs in Thailand that offer upstairs seating tend to forget they have customers sitting there. But they do offer more space.

Scrumpy cider? I would be very surprised if they are serving genuine scrumpy, as opposed to bog-standard cider. But am always prepared to be proved wrong.

But all-in-all, it isn't bad as British - or English - pubs, in Bangkok, go.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

From the entrance, the none smiling attitude, the mediocre food; ordered a roasted lamp, the gravy was tasteless, the lamp was tasteless, only the roasted potato was somehow ok. The service was inexistant, you felt like bothering the staff when calling them. A terrible experience. I heard a lot of this place and went there with some colleagues, bad call, there lots of better places around the corner. It is quite disappointing for a place in Bangkok.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

Quality of pub grub is pretty good, although I have not sampled the entire menu, The ales are served properly and the staff are friendly without being overbearing.

The place is great to visit if you get seating on the first floor. Service suffers a fair bit if you sit upstairs as it is difficult for the staff to go back and forth to the ground floor to get orders and provide service. Be prepared to wait to place your orders and drink refills when sitting up top.. when a waitress does make it up there, be sure to place a refill order even if you are not empty yet.. as you may end up with a dry time waiting for the next waitress visit.