“2 Thumbs up for steak and lobster, but not on drinking water price”

New York Steakhouse - at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok
Reserve with OpenTable
New York Steakhouse - at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 11,958 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Grill
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: The New York Steakhouse at the JW Marriott Bangkok provides the prefect venue for a special meal. This restaurant,located on the hotels' second floor mezzanine, represents the best of the great American steakhouses.The finest fresh chilled, USDA certified, grain fed, Angus beef is served. Aged to perfection, it is cooked precisely to order. Different cuts and types of Prime beef from around the world with your choice of sauces and sides are featured. Try the Australian Wagyu Tomahawk Steak for two.Traditional appetizers like Clam Chowder, Shrimp Cocktail, House-smoked Salmon and Caesar Salad are popular starters. Dessert vary from Baked Bomb Alaska and New York Cheesecake. There is also a selection of fresh seafood delicacies, as well as some traditional non beef dishes. The wine list is massive and impressive; a full range of cocktails is offered, great Martinis.Opening Hours: 18:00 - 22:30 Reservations: Highly recommended Dress Code: Smart casual (no slipper).
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have been to NY Steakhouse for 5 times. Each visit accompanied by either my family or closed friends. This review is the sincere summary of the overall experience from all my visits.

The Good:

1. Main course was superb. We ordered Tomahawk Wagyu and poached Phuket lobster. They were absolutely fantastic. The beef had actually become our regular order for every visit. The lobster was very nice too. In our opinion, the quality could match the price in overall rating.

2. Atmosphere was nice and comfortable. The lighting was a bit dim which was okay for us. However, we don't know if this would suit others. We particularly loved the chair. It was very comfortable and relaxing. In addition, the service of the staff was excellent.
----------------------
The "not so"...

Here are the reasons why we gave 4 stars...

1. Price of the drinking water was totally ripped off. They left the customers with limited choices. The waitress offered expensive mineral water only. Normal Marriott bottled water was not mentioned or offered. Personally, we felt this was unfair that the customers being forced to the limited choices of expensive water. (We would eventually ordered wine, coffee or tea along with the meal later on anyway. It is not wise and would not be necessary to seek profit from the drinking water.)

2. We have tried some other dishes which we agreed that they were not impressive. The grilled yellow tailed fish was a bit tough and dry. The taste was okay, but it might be better with other fish selections.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
1  Thank prue L
Bruno R, Manager at New York Steakhouse - at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear prue L

Greetings from the New York Steakhouse and thank you for sharing your comments about your various visits with the Tripadvisor community.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed especially the Tomahawk Wagyu, which is one of our Signature items as well as the Phuket lobster. The staff will also be very excited about the positive remarks about their performance.

I've also noted your comments about the "Not so" and will work with them in order to make your next experience even better. Although the pricing of the premium water is at a similar level than other comparable establishments but we'll work with the team on how we can improve in this matter. Thank you for your comments about the Yellowtail and your recommendation.

Again I appreciate your feedback and look forward to hopefully welcome you again here at the New York Steakhouse - at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok,

with very best regards,

Reviewed May 8, 2013

In fact the NY steakhouse is one of the better steak houses in Bangkok but unfortunately like many other "nice" restaurants they push water at you as no doubt the waitresses get commission on this. They will ask immediately choice of Evian or Voss and not mention any other choices available Marriott have their own bottled water which is quite fine so either pay 300Bhat for a bottle of water or 80 Bhat ( or whatever it was). I dont believe in endorsing any restaurant who has this kind of practice but unfortunately several in BKK do. It cheapens the whole experience and any readers would be advised to ask for Marriott water unless they in fact want Voss or Evian at inflated prices.

Bruno R, General Manager at New York Steakhouse - at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Rich L,

Thank you for sharing your comments of your recent visit with us and the Tripadvisor community.
I apologize if we made you feel that we promote water to aggressively and I've also shared this with the team. As part of our dining experience, the service team should provide our with diners a choice of premium bottled water with their meal. Most of our customers prefer a branded bottled mineral water rather than our own purified water. The choice lies obviously with the customer and either way the water is safe. The content of the minerals and the origin are different.
I appreciate pointing this out to me and be sure that we'll look into this.
Looking forward to hopefully see you here again soon,

Bruno R.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I treated my wife to a late valentines meal and wanted to splash out so we booked this restaurant.
The service was really good and couldn't complain apart from the waitress poured the wine from the next table into our glass of wine,which was a small mistake.
The starter Caesar salad was made to order and could taste a bite for if it needed anymore seasoning,the bread was delicious and the Fillet Mignon was cooked to perfection! great sauces and sides. My wife loved the wine.
We got talking to a couple of guys from the USA on the next table who had been here often said its up with the best steaks they've had and in Bangkok only the Millennium Hilton by the river could compare for steaks.Very expensive and ate here as a one off! would not usually spend that much.Was a really great experience.

1  Thank Neil Y

Dear Neil Y,

Greeting from the New York Steakhouse and thank you for sharing your experience from your recent visit with the Tripadvisor community.
I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your dining experience and will share your comments also with our Service and Culinary team. Since we only use selected premium cuts, we realize that the prices are on the high end. As an alternative I suggest to residents here in Bangkok to consider joining the ClubMarriott Dining program which not only gives you access and many benefits to many Signature Restaurants all over Thailand but also a good discount on your consumption.
Looking forward to welcome you hopefully soon again if you're looking for a great steak!

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Absolute perfect execution for both food and service - in fact I dont think I have ever seen such efficient and effotless service. Enjoyed everything. The steak, oysters, foie gras was sublime and don´t forget to check the great wine list.
From the time we were greeted at the door to the end of our meal, the service was impeccable.

Beats everything available in Bangkok so far. Keep up the good work!

one more thing, I just read two reviews which are quite funny,

first says he ordered kobe and It didn´t taste how he expected????? kobe is a unique taste, you like it or not but it´s the same all around the globe so pls do yourself a favor and go for some chicken if you don´t know about beef.

second one complains that there are no children allowed (I really love children, so don´t get me wrong) but it is not a place for them and I appreciate that some restaurants have this policy.

3  Thank anderl1603
Bruno R, General Manager at New York Steakhouse - at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear anderl1603,

Thank you for sharing your dining experience with the Tripadvisor community!
I'm happy to read that your dining choices were well executed and our service made you enjoy your visit even more.

We look forward to welcome you soon again, whenever you think about eating a great steak!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

One of the best steakhouse i have ever eaten at. Truly first class. Expensive but you get what you pay for. The quality of the food and service was superb. The porterhouse that i got was cooked to perfection and the beef tartare was amazing as well. Me and my friends had a fantastic dinner especially when we found out that the place has 20% off promo of your total bill if you have CITIBANK credit card. So for any CITIBANK credit card holder here go enjoy the 20% off promo.:)

2  Thank Wildpinkfairy
Bruno R, General Manager at New York Steakhouse - at the JW Marriott Hotel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Dear Wildpinkfairy,

we really appreciate your recent visit here at the New York Steakhouse and also the time you took to share your experience with the Tripadvisor community.

I'm glad you enjoyed your selections which by the way are also some of our guests most popular choices.

We source only for top end meat choices. These premium qualities are pricier than other products, however we try to pass on a fair price to our customers and run sometimes special promotions as well.

New York Steakhouse also participates in the Club Marriott Dining Card program which will provide diners with an even greater discount. Should you be in Bangkok more this might be an option I often recommend as it comes with many additional dining options as well.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the hopefully not to far future.