“ok coffee, good atmosphere and wifi”

Brown Sugar : The Jazz Boutique
Ranked #2,067 of 12,071 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai, International, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Banglamphu
Description: After 26 years of great service, Brown Sugar has now moved from Sarasin Rd. to Phrasumen Rd. - a bigger home. Now called "Brown Sugar : The JazzBoutique" - Always Open! During the day as a restaurant and coffee house, and at night for nice cold beers with great music 7 days a week! Now with a brand new 200-seater space on its second floor to serve art exhibition, film screening, plays, poetry reading, private events/functions, performances and concerts, and whatever you can think of.The monthly "Brown Sugar Showcase" showcases live performances of International/touring acts every last Fri-Sat of the month. Expect great music in the house, upstairs and downstairs!Since 1985, Brown Sugar has been serving Bangkok's live music fans. Ranked as "one of the best bars of the world" by Newsweek (1997), Brown Sugar has never failed to give everybody a good time!
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Title says it all......cappuccino 45 baht......strong wifi.....groovy jazz music....nice and relaxing.....a good place to chillax

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I spent a couple of hours here on my last evening in Bangkok, and loved it.

I almost didn't go at all, because the name of the place made me slightly nervous (I am a female in my 50s, travelling alone) - but read some reassuring and very positive reviews. And decided to go check it out given that it was a five minute walk from my hotel. Very glad that I did!

Loved the decor and ambiance - neither snooty nor sleazy, just very relaxed and friendly and comfortable. The way it is set up, you have a great view of the stage from just about anywhere you sit (not a huge place, which was nice also). Also, lots of local people as opposed to lots of tourists, which again was nice - though it led to some struggles while communicating with the waiter!

I was there only for the opening group - the real show was due to start after I left (I had a very early flight the next day). The group I heard comprised three kids - they looked about 16 - very simple and straightforward, no fuss or fanfare or drama, just very focused on their music. And very talented. So I really enjoyed that.

The food, when it came, was good too - took a long long time though, that would be my only negative comment. When it did come, they had brought me the wrong thing, so they took it back - ended up taking close to an hour between the time I ordered and the time my meal arrived. But that's ok - enjoyed the place so much that it was a very small negative in an otherwise excellent evening.

2  Thank Suman_B60
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Go there for music at night, and drink. Food is not tasty and a bit pricy. The new place is much bigger than the old one at Langsuan.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is the very good choice to go if you love jazz music. I love to go to this place since it was located on Langsuan Road, but it is now moved to the new place where is quite far away from Bangkok Center. It, however, is worth going still! If you are there, don't forget to order fried pork leg!

Reviewed December 17, 2012

We have been in this place a couple of times, but regret that our last visit was not what we expected. The thai "jazzband" that was performing was absolutely far below what we expected. The discountcard which was presented to us during our last visit was not valid anymore, and when we got the bill we noticed that they charged us twice an expensive drink we had ordered. Nearly the whole staff doesnot speak one word of english, which is also very confusing. Drinks are quite expensive and for those prices you really expect much more.

1  Thank lentravel