“Okay For Sleeping, But Nothing More”
Review of Thong Ta Resort

Thong Ta Resort
Ranked #665 of 884 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I booked Thong Ta because it was a cheap place near the airport and since our flight arrived after midnight I just wanted a place to quickly get to bed and crash. That was a mistake. We spent 20 minutes searching for the person the hotel sent to pick us up from the airport and then waited an additional 20 minutes for, I assume, another traveler who never appeared. By then we had wasted enough time to have taken a taxi into the city. We did not get to bed any sooner, and then wasted half of the next day getting to our "real" hotel inside Bangkok.
I encourage readers not to make the same mistake we did. Just get your hotel inside Bangkok (we loved the Eastin Grand), take a taxi (probably $30-40) to your hotel (or the very cheap metro if you arrive during the day) and sleep there so you can wake up the next day and start enjoying your trip.

Also, as others have noted, the staff members at this hotel are discourteous -- especially the female receptionist who wears thick eyeliner.

To be fair, the place did have it charm with lots of dark wood (teak, maybe) in its decor and whimsical decorations and figurines everywhere. But the only real upside to staying at Thong Ta was that we took hilarious pictures of all the warnings posted around the room about how much things cost if you break them. They even had a list of the room's inventory and the cost for damaging each item. If you have a dream of trashing a hotel room like a rock-star, this would be the place to do it because you can calculate in advance how much you'll have to pay in damages.
Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that the air conditioner sounds like a freight train.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Misahti

Reviewed November 11, 2012

In the new building I found very neat & clean big room and all amenities placed suitably. The shower/toilet fittings are very good quality & new.

But for me, that was not all, I always felt uneasy and not a friendly place.

There were many instructions with so many do s and not to do s in the room which may remind you that you are in the primary school where the teachers always teaching you many lessons and so many advices may be for your betterment but I don’t want the same feeling while staying in a hotel!!

Basically, people stay here for very short time, may be that’s also the reason- you will not feel anything in this hotel from your heart.

In the first morning I rushed to the restaurant at 10.20am (I checked in late and got up late also & was so hungry) and the staffs there denied me to provide the set break fast (I tested it in the 2nd day- it was just 2 pcs of bread,1 pc egg, 1pc sausage and tea or coffe & juice). I’ve never seen more than 7/8 people at a time in the restaurant and think it was not a big deal for them if they tried to provide me something in the b.fast (I know, I was late for 20 min.).

My check out time was at 5.30am in the 3rd day and I requested the restaurant staff again if they could give me 2pcs of bread and a egg in a box and they denied again cause it is open from 6am only. So never expect anything personal, anything touches your heart; from this hotel. You just pay and sleep in their nice big room and get lost next day.

One guy in the reception is always over smart (he doesn’t know the hairline difference between smartness and over smartness, that’s the problem). While checking in I was asked my check out time and if I need any wake up call. I provided the information. In the last night I felt to give just a reminder (my wake up call was at 4 am and check out & shuttle service at 5.30am, so I didn’t want to take any risk). But the over smart guy replied me why am I giving him reminder EVERYDAY??!!

The wi-fi didn’t work for all 2 days. Oh, by the way- it was not their fault- it was the fault of the service provider and they have nothing to do (I got his reply)!!!!

I asked for a multi plug to use my laptop, and they asked me to collect it from the main reception. I did this. When tried to connect in the point, found that it is the same type 3 pin plug as in my laptop (I don't know- why they don't know which plug fit in the power point !!). Anyway, I got it back to them and asked if there is another size they can give me. The answer was- “We are not suppose to give this type of things to the customer but as u requested we gave it to u. And if it’s not ok for you, buy the thing from 7/11 as per your requirement. Good…I was pleased to know that….all were my fault only.

IF you like smiling face & greeting, then you first do it to them and may get back the same  (Exception only the bell boys & the driver- they were more friendly)
But the shuttle service to/from the airport is very good and maintain the time.

Room Tip: Rooms in the new building.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night before departing to chaing mai. Was nice clean hotel, towels shaped as animals. Breakfast could be improved. Free transfer to airport was useful. I would stay near town though if your on holiday as it's 45 mins away by taxi

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 2, 2012

My first trip to Bangkok and stayed at this hotel after arriving on a evening flight. Picked up by shuttle bus by hotel representative for a short ride 10 mins to this hotel. Price was good as was the service by staff. Free trip back to airport was included in room price. Would recommend to anyone wanting to stay overnight close to airport.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My family and I arrived Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport last Oct. 23, 2012 about 12 midnight and was picked up by Thong Ta representative. We got a typical room located at the garden portion of the resort. It has twin beds, ref, TV, and a place to hang clothes and a comfort room that smells awful. It has an exhaust fan but the odor is always there. We slept only for 4 hours coz we asked to be brought back to the airport early (as roundtrip transfer is free) for the airport linked skytrain so we can leave our things at the hotel we booked for 3 nights. We didnt like to bathe there becoz of the awful smell. The free breakfast was quite nice, American breakfast w/ orange juice and coffee and pineapple slices.

However, the place was clean as a whole and their figurines (elephants, etc.) displayed in the garden, door posts and walls are really nice. After breakfast, we checked out. Thong Ta may not be the hotel I like but its location is just right for us to rest for the night, thank God.

Room Tip: Try the rooms at the building itself and not in the garden, perhaps its better.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ednab7
Reviewed October 30, 2012

If you read all the recent reviews written about this hotel, you have to wonder about why the reviewers have experienced hostility from these members of staff. We have stayed there 10 times on stopovers from and back to London. Pick up at airport always great. We always opt for 2nd floor which is 1st floor for English travelers because there is no lift. We have never come across an unfriendly member of staff. Our luggage has always been carried upstairs for us. The shuttle bus runs every half an hour throughout day and night. Anyone traveling in Thailand knows TP is never put in toilets. Next trip we are paying £15 for a double room without breakfast because we are leaving early and I don't even have to say ' what do you expect for the money" because we have no complaints. Just once on a very hot night the bathroom smelt a bit and they changed rooms for us when we asked. Have stayed elsewhere once, but we are happy with Thong Ta.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 24, 2012

If you have a connecting flight or early morning flight like me this place is OK. They have a taxi van (good van). I should have ABF but chk out so early they can't service for you.
The Air-Con in the room so noisy and you can hear the shutting door sound from in front of your room.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo