“A favorite Bangkok discovery”

Tacos & Salsa Mexican Bar and Restaurant Sukhumvit 18
Ranked #254 of 11,964 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: Found 5 minutes walking distance from the beginning of Sukhumvit Soi 18, Tacos & Salsa is a hidden Mexican gem in the busy city of Bangkok. A favourite to expats and tourists as well as locals, at Tacos & Salsa we pride ourselves in serving authentic traditional Mexican home-cooked food that "brings Mexico to you". "Mi casa es su casa" Famous for flavourful sizzling Fajitas: marinated boneless steak/chicken or prawns with grilled peppers, guacamole, tortillas, beans and rice, served on a hot plate, all our recipes are prepared as if we were back home in Mexico. Best strong margaritas in town, classic (lime). honey lime, passion fruit, mango, strawberry, tamarind, or spicy diablo. We also offer Margochelas which are margaritas topped off with a Corona beer! A selection of 45+ Tequilas and Mezcal! Salud! Local and Mexican craft beers, make them into Micheladas, by adding our special spicy Mexican tomato mix! Taquitos de carnitas or pork al pastor have that Mexican street-stall taco taste, and are best accompanied with our 5 homemade salsas. Come join us for a flavourful, chill-out Mexican time from 11am to 11pm, daily, we may even have live music on the weekends! For table reservation or more information on group party hosting (our second floor is able to host 25-30 people), please feel free to contact us.
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I recently moved to Bangkok and I never expected to find such authentic tasting Mexican food. Tacos and Salsa surprised me by far surpassing my expectations. Once you make your way down Soi 18 you will find a cozy and comfortable nook where you can enjoy an intimate evening with friends and great food. The enchiladas and margaritas are excellent and will keep you coming back for more without a doubt. I have been there several times now and I can say that the service is consistently good as is the food. Tacos and Salsa has a friendly atmosphere that makes everyone feel relaxed and at home. I would definitely say that Tacos and Salsa is one of my favorite Bangkok restaurants.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

So hard to find unbelievable mexican food, defo go here. Margeritas devine, Nachos were so nice with hot salsa dips and well the burritos were perfect. Thanks to all for making our night unbelievable. Buenos noches Andy and Victoria x

Reviewed January 28, 2013

If you follow directions and go to the end of Soi 18, you'll eventually find Tacos & Salsa. But you can't read their sign until you're almost at the front door. The interior is friendly looking, but not much thought was put into the seating. The larger tables are not comfortable for 4 people; it's like sitting in economy class on a plane. And the backs of the chairs mark up the walls with ugly brown scratches. How about touching up the wall paint every few months? A few other items need attention, such as a missing lamp shade, etc. Also, they need a host to greet you and show you a table. When we arrived, all four workers just stood at the back and looked at us while we tried to figure out the protocol. The food was pretty good. Chips and salsa were fine and my Aztec Cake (I think it was called that) was layers of tortillas filled with tasty pork and a nice sauce. Avoid the cimichangas. Probably standard items such as enchiladas would be ok. Margaritas were pretty good, but expensive. If you're in the neighborhood, such as at the Rembrandt hotel, Tacos & Salsa provides an ok alternative to Thai food every night at a pretty good price.

1  Thank westarion
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Tacos and Salsa is a hidden gem in the heart of the busy Sukhumvit area. It's tucked down soi 18 and its warm and cozy vibe will draw you in right away. The food is excellent and authentic and I haven't found a better margarita in all of Bangkok. Staff, management - everyone is friendly and attentive. They can arrange parties and large groups and the service is fantastic. I highly reccomend Tacos and Salsa for Mexican food in Bangkok.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

It seems so many restaurants that I used to love in Bangkok are just not the same anymore. This restaurant is another such example.

This place was originally located right on Sukhumvit Road, sort of near Phrom Pong. It was excellent. The margaritas were truly delicious and very similar to Mexico. they were strong, but did not taste too strong... balanced, flavorful, nice and sour with fresh lime, slightly sweet from good triple sec, good tequila used, served cold on fresh ice after being chilled, etc. The food was quite authentic. It was not heavy, but satisfying and heartwarming. The place had a wonderful vibe to it... and the Mexican owner was often present. My girlfriend was obsessed with their cheese quesadillas. Yes I know this item might be more "Tex-Mex" than Mexican, but it had perfect grill marks on the outside, nice strong and flavorful cheese which was melted and cooked through, and they were just so enjoyable, especially with the homemade hot sauces (red, orange, and green).

The place moved to the end of Sukhumvit Soi 18. Some time after that we noticed our quesadillas were simply not cooked properly... barely heated through and no marks from the grill (this is so common in restaurants in Thailand in various forms). The margaritas were not quite the same. I did not see the owner and other Mexican staff (family?, friends?), etc. in the restaurant and perhaps they were delegating the cooking and causing the food to suffer.

I just returned today and found the margarita selection to be much more vast, but now FAR inferior in quality... to the point that I would not order one again. It is absolutely not the same. It's not awful, but it's not the absolute gem that it once was. I used to rave about how it was just like Mexico. Now I feel I would not return. It's simply not worth it... and I'll simply wait until I am travelling outside of Thailand somewhere to get good Mexican food.

A previous reviewer mentioned that there is a change in management, which is a likely explanation.

If you are used to mediocre "Mexican" food in chain restaurants in the USA, this place might be enjoyable and a nice alternative to Thai food. If I were in that mindset I'd probably rate it average and not poor. But the negative review is due to the change from what it was to what it has become.

2  Thank NarakMakMak