“Decent hotel for Koh San Road”
Review of Rikka Inn

Rikka Inn
Ranked #348 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Decent hotel for Koh San Road”
Reviewed February 12, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in May 2011. We have been to Bangkok before so knew the location we wanted to stay - and this is a perfect location for the Koh San Road - right in the thick of it but not too noisey so you can sleep!

We have stayed in a variety of standard of accomodation in this area and I thought the rooms were spacious and clean and nicely equipped, we stayed in a superior type room which was really nice and was still a decent price for what you got and the location etc. Nice pool, internet access etc just know they will ask for passport/key deposit/ and get your own taxis rather than book through the hotel and you should be fine!

Room Tip: We had one of the top rooms so wasn't very noisey
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2012

I stayed here for 5 night in January 2012 as it seem Bangkok was the only place in Thailand that wasnt raining.. When I arrived I was agreed with 'PASSPORT' not 'Hello/Sawadee Ka'. I was then asked to pay 6000 baht for my stay plus 1000 for a ket deposit (which would be refunded) I explained that I had giving my credit card details over the the internet so assumed I paid and was handed a laminated print which explained the credit card was only to hold the room and cash had to be paid on arrival - again this was communicated to me by the word 'READ'. Anyway - paid the 7000 baht and I was given the key. I was quite happy with the room. I was on the 6th floor away from the street noise and just a few foot steps away from the pool which is lovely and well deserved treat after spending just a few hours in Bangkok. I settled in and went out for the evening. The first night was fine as after a few Changs I slept like the baby. The next day I spent all day by the pool and decided i would have an evening in watching films and basically chilling out...Thats when the noise started. The whole room started to rumble so much that the glasses on my table chinked together. At first I thought it was an earth quake and jumped out of bed to check.. It stopped and then about 5-10 minuted later it started again? I contacted reception and was told 'FULLY BOOKED' so thought I'd leave it as it would be OK tomorrow b ut unfortunately that was the case. The next night was the same and the following... It worked out my room was directly underneath the pools generator and it worked 24/7. I did try to discuss moving rooms but with not one member of staff breaking into a smile or even actually listening to me I gave up and bought some earplugs and drank more Chang..

All this aside - I think I had a bad experience but I would return to this hotel if I was in Bangkok but make sure I was under the swimming pool. If you can just ignore the ignorant and rude staff then you're fine.

Room Tip: 6th floor but not under the swimming pool
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Jotty1974
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 9, 2012

All I can say is WOW for the location!! I arrived here at night and this was my 1st time overseas. Rikka Inn is located in Khaosan Rd and absolutely loved it! As soon as my friend and I checked in we were quick to dump our bags in our room, freshen up a little (after our 9 hr flight) and see what Bangkok has to offer.
I found the staff to be very helpful, however, there was loads of staff working at the front desk desk and only one staff member who could speak 'basic' english. However, with the Thai laid back and easy going personality and attitude there was lots of laughing and hand gestures and we were checked in and shown to our room.
The room was very basic with 2 x dbl beds and bathroom....it was very clean. Excellent value for money!!
If you stay here you do have to get used to noise at night as Bangkok comes to life at night and being located in Khaosan Rd all we heard all night was the bass from the music in Khaosan Rd.
Roof top pool was fantastic, very clean.
I would stay here again if I visited Bangkok!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank 21AmberM21
chepstow
Reviewed February 7, 2012

Located right in the centre of kho san road pretty much! nice room bit small but most rooms in bangkok seem to be like this! clean and tidy! but noisy at night so not reccommended for a good nights sleep as we were situated at the front of the hotel. however i hear if u are at the back it is quieter. nice pool on the roof for catching some rays! helpful staff and friendly! id reccomend for a short stay over.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 27, 2012

We stayed at the Rikka at the beginning of our SE Asia trip for two nights. Rikka is towards the end of Koh San and is set a bit back from the street so there isn't much street noise. The rooms are pretty small (we stayed in a superior double, which had enough room for a double bed, desk and fridge) but have their own bathrooms with western toilets and hot water showers. There is also a luggage room where you can leave your bags if you have a time lag between checkout and onward travel. The staff also let us use the pool during the afternoon, after we'd checked out, which was a nice refresher from Bangkok. The pool upstairs is really nice and well maintained. Had to ask for wifi username/password but was handed over without an issue. Make sure you keep your receipt for the key deposit (1000THB) otherwise you will not get it back.

My only complaint was that when we asked them to hold our bags towards the end of our trip, they claimed that their luggage room was full so we had to cart around our packs for awhile. This may have been a security issue though which I can't blame them for.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank KatGD
Liverpool, England
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Stayed here in Jan 2011 for three nights at the beginning of a 3 wk trip and liked it so much that we stayed again for a few nights at the end if the trip.
Rooms are clean, tidy, hotel is style and not remotely like the hostels. Pool is lovely too, no noise from hustle and bustle of Khaosan rd. Rooms are quite small but as I hardly spent any time there it didn't bother me in the slightest! How much room do u need?!
Excellent location, can't fault the place!

• Stayed February 2011
Reggio Emilia, Italy
Reviewed January 24, 2012

Khao San road is popular for all the wrong reasons, Many may like it, i think it is one of the most undignified displays of human behaviour. People tend to start drinking at 8am and finish, after passing out, at 5 or 6am, You see a lot of kids being totally off their faces, cause most bars do not check ID's, but there are plenty of "adults" setting the example and getting wasted practically all day. But we all know Thailand is cheap and for the ones who like drinking for the sake of getting wasted and waking up next to complete strangers, the Khao San area is simply perfect.
However if you are not one of those kind of traveller i suggest you come here only for a night stroll and have a laugh at the embarassing display of customs.
So it came as a surprise to find out that the Rikka Inn is actually quite quiet, although I was given a room facing Khao San, the window glass was sealed and I could not hear the mayhem which was happening downstairs. The girls at reception also advised me to close the bathroom door at night as there's a bar at the back which plays live and loud music every night. The images shown on the website are exceptionally good as in reality the overall appearance of the hotel is far more subdued. I was given a superior room which is slightly bigger than the standard, but even though it was rather clean, it was far from being the luxury place they advertise it to be, beside I spent two nights there on my own and space was ok, but when my boyfriend joined me, it was clear that the room had become too tiny for two. The roof pool is very tiny and if you want to have the chance to get a bed before the hangover kids take over the entire pool, you better be up there at 9.30am!
Internet is free and the staff was nice, friendly and tolerant considering the level of rudeness of some of the hotel guests. Rooms were cleaned every day. Internet is free and next to the hotel there's a airport shuttle service very handy and cheaper than the taxi.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple