“classy and yummy”

Cuisines: Italian, International
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sathorn
Description: A class all its own - La Scala Restaurant in Bangkok is a triumph of innovative interior design paired with classical Italian cuisine, perfectly concocted. Just as the design and decor unite the contemporary with a Thai cultural context, so the cuisine presents pure traditional recipes with unparalleled creative flair. In keeping with the attention to detail that makes La Scala so special, great care has been taken to ensure that the wines present the best choices to match menu selections. Subtle, unobtrusive and yet finely attuned to the rhythms of the day, music at La Scala is perfectly pitched to accompany fine dining.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

i like the atmosphere and the food, it's pricy but worth the price. I had scallop top with foie gras, this is killing dish, wagyu is melting in my mouth. the dessert all specialist in chocolate, the restaurant end with serving Lemon cello and petit four that's truly memorable night.

TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at La Scala, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

First of all, thank you for reviewing La Scala on Trip Advisor.

It is a great pleasure for us that you enjoyed your dinner so much. Our Italian restaurant is truly an epicurean discovery.

We are looking forward to welcome you back again to La Scala.

Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for La Scala

Reviewed August 6, 2013

La Scala is the Italian restaurant of the Sukhothai Hotel, one of the very best hotels in Bangkok. The place has a nice décor and ambiance. There are tables indoors and outdoors. The food is good but not as great as it should be. I ordered porchetta and found it a bit bland. A friend I was with was also a bit disappointed with his order. Service was very courteous. Prices are steep.

1  Thank Goncalo2008
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

Entrees in the US $35-$70 need to be spectacular. To me, unique flavors and originality is to be expected. Instead, this mostly empty restaurant (on a Friday night), was trying to justify its high price on the merit of a few rare/unusual ingredients in the dishes offered. The taste was average, uninspiring and thoroughly disappointing. As a frame of reference for US folks, it's a $25-$35 per entrée boutique Italian charging almost 2x as much. I advise you look elsewhere.

1  Thank AngloTexan74
Reviewed May 25, 2013

First I'd like to start with the positives. La Scala is a very nice restaurant with a decent ambience and as with all staff at The Sukhothai (the hotel in which its located), well-served by polite & friendly staff. We would happily go back there as the food was tasty. Why only 3 stars you might say then? Well, purely on the price...

We are not shy at spending money on food and we are happy to spend big bucks on excellent food. Whilst the quality of food at La Scala was good, it was no way near good enough for the price tag. I'm not sure where the price guide on trip advisor came from - our meal was over £100 per head (without wine). Admittedly we went for the most expensive options on almost every menu but hey, it was our honeymoon. We didn't care. But as I said before, we were expecting excellence and didn't get it.

My wife started with Alaskan crab with optional caviar. This was approx £50 - which most people will agree is at the high end of the range, caviar or not. It was, to put it bluntly, entirely underwhelming. I had the mozarella with Parma ham - the ham was lovely, really tasty. The mozarella was not - it was plasticy and rather tasteless. On the plus side it was huge - an entire ball of mozarella and loads of ham. Perhaps better quality mozarella would be better than such a large quantity...

We both had the ribeye Wagyu steak for mains. Again, the portion size was huge (we began to get the feeling that perhaps they felt guilty for such exorbitant prices (around £40-50) and were trying to make up for it with huge servings). The steak was delicious BUT there was far too much fat on the edges. I know Wagyu is supposed to have fat in it for the marbling taste but I don't mean this, I mean excess chunks of fat on the outside and rind that should have been removed. Because you get so much you don't feel shortchanged that there were a few chunks of fat/rind you had to leave on the side of the plate - but why wasn't it removed? Additionally, it doesn't really come with anything substantial. It has a few shallots/opinions and an (aubergine?) paste smeared onto the plate - but the meat just sits there looking like it needs a few friends. A lot of restaurants seem to use this tact so you order a side dish of potato/fries but La Scala doesn't seem to do side dishes. Personally I prefer something to accompany my steak.

Dessert - I had chocolate fondant. Pretty tasteless and overwhelmed by the coffee froth surrounding it in my opinion. My wife had the cheese selection. She had 5 (of about 8/9?) cheeses. 3 were quite unpleasant tasting and 1 bit even had 1 entire side that had hardened from sitting out too long. Now, cheese, as we all know, does do this if left uncovered - so it's perhaps to be expected but we'd expect this to be cut off before being served up - not served to us.

We ordered some cocktails at the beginning of the night. 10-15 minutes later we were still waiting for them. It took a good 5 minutes to even get someone's attention to ask where they were. To give him credit, the waiter was mortified when he realised we were getting a bit exasperated and came (literally) running back 5 mins later with some delicious cocktails. The rest of the service was brilliant though so we presume this was just a one off.

I wouldn't want to put you off visiting La Scala - it is a great meal. But when you are being charged more than the equivalent London restaurant price for a meal that doesn't really stand up to the exacting scrutiny such a high price tag has, it just doesn't offer enough value for money. Sure, charge people through the nose for food that you're unlikely to get anywhere else but in my humble opinion, its about 25% more pricey than the food actually deserves.

TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at La Scala, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2013

Dear London235,

First of all, may I thank you for dining at The La Scala, our fine dining Italian Restaurant and going to trouble of sharing your comments of your dining experience.

I trust that you were also enjoying your experience, however in some areas of your concerns; it would be great if I can further provide you with more details.

Our usual practice, we do always benchmark ourselves with other fine dining Italian Restaurant across the city both in terms of pricing and quality to always ensure that our pricing is in line and we do offer the premium experience to our restaurant diners. 90% of our ingredients are imported, with more custom tax imposing which certainly make you perceived that the selling price is high where in London the ingredients are considered local products.

The portion for the wagyu beef was designed as a three-course menu, and we have shared with the waitress in the future when taking order that the size of the main course can be tailored to the needs on request. Our mozarella cheese is also imported from the niche producer with premium quality; however it could be the temperature of serving was too cold, the intention was to keep it fresh.

When it comes to cuisine, it is always subject to personal taste and flavors and we hear your comments which we will certainly share with our team to be more personalize when taking the order to ensure that the personal needs are always attended.

We certainly appreciate your time and look forward to welcoming you back to The La Scala and The Sukhothai Bangkok again in the very near future.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Every occasion than I am in Thailand, our wine dinning group always move around to find the dinning place that can do the perfect matching between food and wine. This time we went to LA Scala at the Sukhothai hotel , one of the luxury destination best keep secret in Bangkok. We decided to bring along some DRC and Comte de Vogue from Burgundy to this place. The Chef was well aware of the dinning food and wine Pairing , therefore, he had fine tuned the tone of his food to match to taste of the delicate wine from Burgundy. The result was we had a wonderful meal. The pastas were cooked perfectly on every single dish. The pasta with spicy Italian sausage with basil came so perfectly that it match the wine nicely neither too overpower nor too subtle for its own good. The crispy pizza is always as good as it can be done anywhere in the World. The service was perfect, very friendly , attentive and professional. Bravo for this Restaurant Establishment.

TheSukhothaiBangkok, Manager at La Scala, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your dining experience at our La Scala Italian restaurant on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to learn that you had a wonderful meal along with attentive service from our staff. It’s a great pleasure to help making your special night a memorable one and hope to see you again in this near future.

Best Regards,