“Excellent value, excellent location, friendly staff”
Review of Baan Saladaeng

Baan Saladaeng
Ranked #121 of 698 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 8, 2012

The place is clean, modern, airy and friendly. I booked room 502 and my jaw dropped at the size of it - I'm used to rooms in budget hotels where you can barely walk around the bed, but this one was large and came with a well-illuminated balcony with a moderately pleasant view. Even the bathroom was spacious to match. The furnishings are minimal but extremely functional, the staff is great and breakfast in the tiny lounge is enjoyable. Wi-Fi works wonderfully everywhere. It's hard to say what more could be expected at a price of under 2000 baht (65 US dollars) per night in a convenient downtown area. I consider it a gem and I'm sure I'll be back.

A word about the staircase: some reviews led me to think the staircase becomes narrow on higher floors, but that is not the case. The steps themselves become narrow and that makes the staircase rather steep. But anyone who can do ordinary brisk walking and is capable of climbing a few floors will have no problem.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are larger and more airy, but that is to be set off against the climb - for those h...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank SM-Bombay
There are newer reviews for Baan Saladaeng

Reviewed October 11, 2012

Don't be put off by some of the less-than-positive online comments. Give this inn a try and you will be happy with your choice like I did.

I came with a family of 4 adults and stayed in 2 rooms on the 2nd floor. These rooms are the smallest and cheapest in the inn, but nevertheless, they are of decent size and are bright and clean. We even noticed that they change the shower curtains almost daily during housekeeping, so thumbs up for that despite being just an inn!

The breakfast selection is pretty standard with the usual ham/sausage and eggs, toast with jam, cereal with milk. However, I find myself looking forward to breakfast every morning. The food is fresh, properly/hygienically covered and neatly placed on the counter, making it look appetizing though its just simple fare. Ham/sausage and eggs is prepared upon request, so these will always be served piping hot (which is not the case in many hotels).

I also love the staffs' absolute dedication to their work. They are always replenishing the food, topping up the juice (even though the jug is still 3/4 full), rearranging the plates and aligning the cutlery in the same direction. Hence its always a joy to have breakfast in the very cozy lounge, and watching the wonderful staff work.

The staff are all very helpful and friendly. Some of the speak excellent English though not everyone.

Location wise, there is nothing much to complain about. The inn is within walking distance to both the BTS skytrain and the MRT.

Overall, a very nice experience staying in Baan Saladaeng. Would recommend this to anyone who is not looking to stay in a hotel.

Room Tip: There are no elevators in the guesthouse, only stairs. So for the elderly who have problems climbing...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SJinc
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Bangkok was our first stop on our honeymoon and let me just say that San Francisco is enough "city" as I can take, so I was completely overwhelmed and cranky! As soon as we walked into Baan Saladaeng and were greeted by B, I breathed a sigh of relief! We stayed in the Urban Loft (I would have like something a bit floufier, but the hubster liked the Urban Loft a lot), which was very spacious, clean, and definitely an oasis in the hustle and bustle that is Bangkok. We adored the staff- everyone was so kind, helpful, and friendly. Special shout out to B and Greg (I'm not the best with names, I hope that's right! He had studied at UC Berkeley and we had a great conversation about the Bay Area). The breakfast was tasty and plentiful as well. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and frankly, aside from Lumpini Park and the amazing street food, Baan Saladaeng was one of my top Bangkok highlights!

Room Tip: I recommend paying a bit extra for the bigger ensuite rooms as you get much more for not much!
1  Thank Girl_Ito
Reviewed August 10, 2012

We had a very good experience in this hotel. Our first impression while entering the hotel’s street was anxiety! But once in the hotel, we felt completely at ease and secured. The rooms are clean and tidy with lot of originality. We had the Pop Art mania room and then moved to the Urban Loft one. They had different atmospheres but both cool and pleasant.
All the staffs are extremely friendly, kind and caring. Their excellent attitude is the essence of this hotel. We were surprised how each new staff we met was equally so nice and professional. The room service and the breakfast service are noticeably good too. They prove customer care to be much worthy than a site. They provide exceptional 24H service and security.
The hotel is close to markets, night clubs, shopping malls, banks, restaurants, pubs, taxi & tuk-tuk services, sky train, massages and any other good things in Bangkok.
We will sure get back there if we ever go to Bangkok again.

The laundry service next to the hotel has the same friendly and caring service.

2  Thank Laurent L
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Overall: A lovely oasis tucked away on a backstreet in a central neighborhood in Bangkok. Excellent value for the money.

Pros:
- The staff were amazing, friendly and knowledgeable. All had a perfect command of English. They recommended restaurants, bars, and arranged transportation.
- The room was stunningly nice. Large, airy, and tranquil, with a little balcony. The bathroom looked a little older, but was still clean and functional.

Cons:
None

Room Tip: We stayed in the Royal Blue room. It was fantastic. I imagine the other rooms would be equally nic...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I stayed at Baan Saladaeng twice for a total of 7 nights, in the same room each time. Recommend looking at the photos on the web site to pick a room, as each room has a different design and individual decor. Very close to the Skytrain station at Sala Daeng which is a good option to get around Bangkok.

I had a minor problem with my room which was rectified by the manager to my complete satisfaction.

A good Bangkok accommodation choice!

Room Tip: Consider a lower room as the stairs are very steep.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Michael1468
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at this guest house. A big plus is the proximity to both the sky train and the underground. The staff were extremely helpful and gave us good advice concerning activities in Bangkok and routes to travel. The hotel was spotlessly clean, the breakfast good value.

The only negative is that the guest house is hidden down a side street with a very smelly drain at the top, but then again, all the drains in Bangkok are rather smelly!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple