“Not good at all. My first time in 15 years being disappointed.”

Lord Jim's at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok
Ranked #67 of 10,929 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Sushi, European, Mediterranean, Seafood, Bahamian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Neighborhood: Silom
Description: Sumptuous seafood and river views to savour Named after the seafaring hero created by novelist Joseph Conrad, Lord Jim’s reputation for magnificent seafood is almost as well known as its namesake. Enjoying an uninterrupted view of the river, Lord Jim’s serves one of the most popular buffet lunches in Bangkok with a wide selection of seafood and international dishes on offer. For dinner, diners can choose from an à la carte or set menu. Focusing on the freshest seafood available, Lord Jim’s is particularly renowned for its sushi and sashimi dishes.A private dining room can accommodate 20 diners for lunch and 16 guests for dinner.
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,000 helpful votes
“Not good at all. My first time in 15 years being disappointed.”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I always come here when in Bangkok. I have only reviewed twice before but have enjoyed Lord Jim's for over 15 years, as have my children and GF.

I booked ten days ahead by mail, asked for my usual table by the window and received a confirmation..." for your usual table". We arrived at the time I advised, told the girl my name and waited...and waited.
No...we don't have a booking for you....... Yes you do........ No, I don't see your name here. There is no Mr Clarke. Is your name Barry (or something)?...No my name is Clarke.....Are you sure you have a booking?..... Yes I do, you mailed me to confirm the booking..... No, I can't see you here. More waiting......Ah...I see your name, sorry follow me!
How could she possibly miss my name and not find my reservation for near on 4 minutes as we were the third last to arrive?

OK this wasn't too bad but it got much, much worse....now to table and she steered me to a side table. No...I booked my usual by the window........ Sorry we have none left....... I booked and you (Lord Jim's) confirmed by mail to me ("We (sic) pleased to provide your usual table") on the 22nd January. ....Sorry the tables are gone...... Excuse me but I booked this days ago.....Blank look and no answer. This went on for 3 minutes.

Now for the interesting bit.....She then said, you must not have asked for a window table...... Yes I did. I always do for over 15 years now........ No, if you booked it we would have kept it for you You didn't book a window table, you didn't ask for one!!

So here we are ...no here I am ....being doubted by the hostess, standing in the middle of the dining room and she does not believe me!! Just so unwelcome, embarrassing and disgraceful. Then she actually said...I'll get your booking and we will see. I will show you that you never asked for a window table!! Please do I said as I know what I got in writing. My GF at this stage was understandably annoyed and told the girl that she knows what her BF has received. So with yet further embarrassment and a touch of anger now I actually had to go back to her desk. A long time guest of the Mandarin Oriental being brought to a desk to be shown that I was wrong?! Bizarre, and never ever had this happen to me before on 5 continents.

But then Lo and behold she read my reservation mail and Lord Jim's confirmation...... for my usual, a window table. I was quite annoyed by now.

Anyway to cut a yet longer story short (that was not the end of it) we we choose to stay in the booth and break 15 years of tradition for which we were offered a mere 2 glasses of wine . I really genuinely felt like getting the boat to the Peninsula but as my GF was treating me I was not going to spoil her treat.

Now the meal was more or less finished for us.

Service was attentive and our waiter a nice guy and friendly. I tasted, and was very surprised with, the Thai Hua Hin wine. Very smooth, medium dry and a bit of fruit. and so drinkable. Ideal for lunch.

The food? The sushi has gotten a bit tired and needs a shake up, the tempura was stone cold and inedible (no excuse at all for cold food), the crab claws were full of dirt (yes, black dirt and the manager apologised profusely), the salad/fish selection was not as good as before. What was excellent were the desserts ( I am a dessert fiend and addict!) and the roast beef...succulent, rare and one of the best I have tasted but none of that essential sauce... horseradish. The Thai prawn curry was delicious as was the foie gras (always a favourite of mine) but this was also barely warm and just needs to be served having been seared....nothing else. It also goes well with the beef.

5 Thank Harleyclarkey

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“WONDERFUL”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

This has to be one of the most enviable restaurants in Bangkok, we were guided through the menu and chose some of the most exquisite food we have ever tasted...

Excellent service coupled with luxurious surroundings make for a very special evening.

The salt baked sea bass in a salt crust was sensational!

2 Thank ChrisJ369
Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the price.”
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Party of 9 Dinner at Lord Jim's view was nice, food was a different story. not impress with the overall quality of food for the price per person was $2350 bth not including 10% for service charge and 7% for VAT Total for 9 THB $24,893.55. There was no oyster, foi gras during dinner. We have high expectation after reading the high review. but was disappointed after dinner. if you like bland taste you will like this restaurant. i will not recommended anyone for dinner here. over price

1 Thank tai n
Bournemouth, England
“Best place for seafood in Bangkok”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Beautiful restaurant setting overlooking the river. Three different fish tartar quenelles were outstanding as a starter before the fruits de mer of lobster, langoustine, mussels, oysters, sashimi, sushi, scallop tartar and crab claws. A lovely way to spend an evening, with live music in the background.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank UKtraveller143
San Carlos, CA
“Excellent!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The crab cakes were the best I've ever eaten. The sushi was also excellent. The view of the water is beautiful as well. We had a front row seat for amazing fireworks on New Year's Day night.

Visited January 2013

Been to Lord Jim's at Mandarin Oriental, Bangkok? Share your experiences!