“Christmas Buffet 2013” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Orchid Cafe

Orchid Cafe
Ranked #210 of 10,626 Restaurants in Bangkok
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: The all day dining venue is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, featuring one of the finest buffets in Bangkok. Guests can choose from a fabulous array of delicious international dishes or order from the enticing a la carte menu.
Bangkok
“Christmas Buffet 2013”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

Last year we visited the Royal Orchid Sheraton at the river for Christmas lunch. It was 2500 Baht with free-flow wine. This year, we tried the Orchid Cafe at the Sheraton on Sukhumvit. It was 4100 Baht for the same deal.
I can only say that there really was no comparison. In spite of the price difference, last year's lunch was incomparably better.

Maybe it is true to say that if we hadn't been to the other Sheraton last year, we would have been happier this year. But it's surprising that there would be such a difference between two hotels in the same group.

At the Royal Orchid Sheraton there was a wonderful group of carol singers who came right into the restaurant to sing lovely carols. It was quite delightful. At the Sukhumvit Sheraton, there was a group of singers, but they did not go into the restaurant and sang on the stairs in the lobby, so they were almost inaudible to us.

At the Royal Orchid Sheraton, there was a roving magician who entertained with magic tricks, which delighted children. He did a great job. At the Sukhumvit Sheraton, there wasn't. There was a Santa Claus who visited and gave our child a small Chinese toy which came with no instructions and was utterly impossible to assemble.

However, the biggest difference was with the food. Last year's buffet at the Royal Orchid Sheraton was quite breathtaking. From the start, waiters brought little mousse-filled cones, and every detail of the food was incredible. There was everything you could want from Foie Gras to Poached Salmon. There were stations for just about every sort of food you could imagine.

This was not the case at the Sheraton Sukhumvit at all. The carvery had only beef or turkey, and an incredibly poor selection of vegetables. And they run out of gravy.

The sushi did not seem very fresh.

There were oysters, but one of our party had a bad oyster, and has been sick ever since.

The dessert selection was somewhat meager, and they ran out of Christmas pudding very quickly.

We were on the free-flow wine deal, but it was almost forty minutes before the waiters produced any wine, and only after repeated requests. it seemed to be rather obviously rationed.

And about an hour before the end of lunch, a bill arrived, with the request that we pay. The bill was utterly indecipherable as to how it was calculated, and I still think it was incorrect.

The result is that I would strongly recommend the Royal Orchid Sheraton for Christmas Lunch based on last year's experience, and would not recommend the Sheraton Sukhumvit.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ranma500
GMSGS, General Manager at Orchid Cafe, responded to this review, January 13, 2014
Dear ranma500,

Thank you for taking the time in providing such a comprehensive feedback of your experience at the Orchid Café during Christmas. Certainly, I was shocked and surprised to read about your disappointment and like to apologies sincerely for the experienced shortcomings.

I would like to follow up regarding the guest of your party, who experienced food intolerance and you believe it is related to the Oysters at our Buffet. First of all I hope the guest recovered soon after and is all well today. May I kindly ask you to get in contact with me via my e-mail (matthias.sutter@luxurycollection.com) as we do take any possible allegations of food intolerance very serious and therefore require an in depth investigation. At the same time this will give us the opportunity to clarify some of our shortcomings and hopefully we do have the chance to restore your confidence in us in future.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies and I do hope that in spite of the incident we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back here in the future.

Matthias Sutter
Hotel Manager

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best buffet in Bangkok”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

I have tried pretty much every buffet at all leading hotels in Bangkok, and the orchid cafe is undoubtedly the best one in the city. The great atmosphere of the place adds to great taste of varieties of international food. The food is so fresh, especially at the salad bar and the sushi bar. The service is also excellent. Thumbs up!!!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Pang V
GMSGS, General Manager at Orchid Cafe, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Pang V,

Thank you for choosing to dine at Orchid Cafe and for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

It is of my greatest pleasure to read that you had enjoyed the quality of food provided at our sushi and seafood bar. Moreover, I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed our atmosphere and consider Orchid Cafe to be one of the best buffets in Bangkok.

Your compliments have been shared with the team and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

“My favorite ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

I really love bread station in Breakfast time It's variety
and I like to spend my time with friend to dine here chat and enjoy our meal with the superb service
And that's the reason for me to repeat here

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank anan385
GMSGS, General Manager at Orchid Cafe, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear anan385,

Thank you very much for your visit to Orchid Cafe and for the time that you have taken to share your experiences with us.

I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed the breakfast buffet spread, the bread station and the level of service provided by the team. I have shard your compliments with the team and they were delighted to know that they were able to be a part in enhancing your dining experience with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Richard Chapman
““Great Food!! Superb hospitality””
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

Amazing buffet worth every single baht.
They have everything, i was so excited with many varities of foods and all foods was very very fresh!
The staffs are great and highly professional especially thanks to Mallika and Pratan, they provided us a very good service and friendly.Can't wait to get back there for a wonderful buffet

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank SugarSyrup
GMSGS, General Manager at Orchid Cafe, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear SugarSyrup,

Thank you for your visit to Orchid Cafe and for the time that you have taken to share your feedback with us on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted to read that you had enjoyed the food items on our buffet spread and the level of customer service provided by our team, especially Mallika and Pratan. Extra recognition had been given to them and they look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My favorite breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

Orchid cafe have a very full option
for international breakfast that I love it even sometime quite so crowd but staff still work with excellent service.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Olivia1310
GMSGS, General Manager at Orchid Cafe, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Olivia1310,

Thank you very much for your visit to Orchid Cafe and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoy the breakfast buffet spread and the level of service provided at Orchid Cafe. Your compliments have been shared with the team and we look forward to the next pleasant opportunity of welcoming you back.