“Very clean and affordable place to stay in Bangkok”

Lub d Bangkok Silom
Ranked #14 of 1,245 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Montreal, Canada
“Very clean and affordable place to stay in Bangkok”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

We booked ahead (recommendation from a friend) and did not regret our choice. Very nice and very clean place! Most people are either arriving or leaving Thailand, so not much of an atmosphere or vibe going on, but staff was helpful. Book the Floating market trip through them, it's worth it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 31, 2011

I found Lub D off of hostelworld.com and couldn't believe it was so nice! it's located a far distance from the airport and the taxi ride was pretty long (bangkok is generally a huge city and nothing is really walking distance).

this hostel has a really modern and techy feel. the bunk beds were comfortable, and the bathrooms were extremely clean and modern as well. there is a tv/movie room, a lounge area, a computer room with internet, and a restaurant. the rooms even have safes, which is almost unheard of in a hostel. best of all, the price was so low.

i would absolutely return to this hostel and wish there were more like this one! i highly recommend it for anyone traveling through bangkok on a budget! skip the hotel and stay here-- get the private room!

I actually traveled in Feb 2009, not 2011.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed December 24, 2011

My friends and I were a little unsure about staying in a dorm with a bunch of strangers but Lub D ended up passing all my hostel standards. The room was extremely clean and the hosts were so friendly and helpful. We only stayed one night, but I would have been happy staying longer. The bed was soooo comfortable and the shower was the best shower I think I have ever had. Plus, it's within walking distance of the skytrain and a strip of restraunts, bars, and a market. Such a great experience!

Room Tip: Didn't think I'd want to stay in the 10 person dorm, but it was the only one available and e...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed December 23, 2011

It is hard not to like the Lub D hostel. During my stay there, the place was rather empty, so that fun “hostel vibe” of connecting with fellow travelers was not there. But that is due more to the floods scaring away many travelers.

The hostel is very close to the Patpong red light district (and the co-located Patpong night market, if you need an alibi!). I traveled here from the Banglamphu area of Bangkok (Khao San Road) via tuk-tuk. If you’re in a similar situation, tell the driver to take you to Patpong to make matters simpler. I had trouble communicating where I wanted to go, even with the use of the map. Only after I had arrived there did I realize how close the hostel was to Patpong. This area of Bangkok was the quietest of the three places I stayed during my time in the huge city. That’s not saying much though.

The décor is heavy on the concrete. The walls and floors are all concrete. Some may feel that this place resembles a bunker or a dungeon, but I really liked it. The big hit with me though was the bathrooms. Very modern, hot showers, and kept very clean (as were all places in the hotel). You will not see a bathroom like this in other hostels---and that is a very good thing. Regret not having a picture of it. You have to see it to believe it. Uber-modern!

I stayed in a room meant for two people, but I had it to myself because the place was not full. The beds are already made for you, so there is no need to fiddle with the sheets, pillow cases, etc, so that is a real boon if you arrive late when others are sleeping.

To save energy, the rooms in which no one is already staying do not have the A/C turned on. Be prepared for a toasty hot room when you arrive. This is one of those rooms in which you need to put your key in the slot by the door to turn on the light, A/C, etc. The reception kindly gave me two keys so the room could stay cold while I was out.

The second night I was there, I decided to switch to a dorm bed because the place was empty and wanted to save. The hostel had no problem with this, even though I was in the two-person room for most of the day, way past cleaning time. A big thumbs-up on that account.

Breakfast is not included, but available for a small price. It was fine, nothing exquisite. Whilst walking around the neighborhood in the morning, I did not locate any budget-friendly alternatives.

I had some trouble connecting my netbook to the Wi-Fi. iPod connected fine though.

Yes, would definitely recommend staying here!!

Room Tip: If not busy, stay in the dorm room. They may be able to get you one by yourself.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
Asturias
Reviewed December 15, 2011

i'm really disappointed with them. I paid in advanced for three days 4500 baths. Very very expensive for a doble room sharinf bathroom.
I did wrong the booking and i paid for 3 days and i had to leave the day before because we checked wrong the flight day.
i went to the reception a 8.30 a.m to make the cancellation and what i found???
they didn' t give me back the money although i told them that i left the room 4 hours before the check out. I think this is not legal and not fare.
i lost 1550 bath and the manager didn't came out to speak to us. They cheated us and the place it's only clean you can find really better place around cheaper.
i'm very very dissappointed with them and if i were you i suggested not to come, for sure.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Asturiana444
Lub_d, Manager at Lub d Bangkok Silom, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear guest,

We apologize that our refund policy disappointed you, badly. Although we have a 24 hours advance notice requirement for room cancellation without charge, we are always trying to help our guests get their refund even if the cancellation may not consistent with our stated policy. We apologize that we did not take any special consideration in your case that day, and we failed to connect you with the manager in charge. We were disappointed with the incident and we will take this case to improve our services.

Wasin Hantanupong
Hostel Manager
London
Reviewed December 1, 2011

So this is what a "boutique hostel" looks like. In terms of decor, cleanliness and room facilities this is effectively a hotel - and a nice one too, with sharply modern yet comfortable furnishing. In terms of price it's not really in the student backpacker range, not unless mum & dad are paying for the whole trip!

There is more of a hostel vibe once you get downstairs to the common area, with plenty of space to relax in, helpful young staff on the desk and a nice little bar. There's a communal TV room and laundry facilities, all well kept.

It's not in the best area for just walking out the door and finding nearby restaurants and markets - you need to walk 10 mins+, or jump on the nearby skyrail. But it certainly seems a friendly and safe area, and quite central.

If you like the hostel vibe, but don't want to compromise on comfort, then this place is certainly for you. Recommended.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Rickmansworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2011

Great hostel, friendly staff and have very fond memories of my 6 night stay here. Met some great people, our room was spotless, the sheets were clean. Little plug next to the bed so I was able to surf or watch films throughout my jetlag! Washing machine and tumble dryer facilities available. Communal television room, clean showering facilities! It became a home from home! After staying here, some of the places we ended up were shocking!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends