“Noisy and a stone's throw from the Nana red light district...”

Aspen Suites Sukhumvit 2 by Compass Hospitality
Ranked #251 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Geneva, Switzerland
“Noisy and a stone's throw from the Nana red light district...”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed for a few nights in this hotel during a short trip to Bangkok in November.

LOCATION

Bangkok is a city I know quite well, having been there many times mainly on vacation. Usually, I like to stay in various parts of the city in order to get different vibes. This hotel is located at the very end of Sukhumvit Soi 2, and it will take you 5-10 minutes to the end of the soi, and another 5 to the Ploen Chit BTS station. However, the hotel does have a tuk tuk that will take you to the end of the street… when it's there and not broken that is (it malfunctioned a couple of times during our stay). The hotel is a stone's throw away, actually just the nearest street to Soi 4, and its infamous and sleazy Nana plaza. The area is crowded with girlie bars, dubious massage parlors and pool joints.

AMBIENCE

Due to the location described above, things get a bit complicated in terms of clients and atmosphere. When we were there, the hotel was populated by single males and some of them definitely looked like they chose it mainly for its "convenient" location. If the hotel has a no guest or sex-tourism policy, it is not clearly stated on their premises, but I have to say that I did not witness any dubious outside guests while there. So if girls and bar-hopping in a red light district are what you are looking for, then don't hesitate. Otherwise, I would definitely not recommend it!
Another down side is the pool. Not only is it minuscule, it is also located off the breakfast room and right in front of the only elevator (you had to wait ages for it by the way), so don't expect any intimacy. There is not a single lounge chair, only a few tables and the pool never gets a ray of sun. I did not go there even once, even though it was very hot in BKK at that time.

ROOM

My room was positively huge! It had a kitchenette, a table where you could sit 2 people, a desk and chair, a large double bed, an immense dressing room and a large bathroom. On first look, the design is pretty nice, but when you look closer, the floor is laminated wood, and the furniture is pretty cheap. There is a large flat-screen TV, a stereo system, a large fridge and even a microwave, which is nice and useful. However, the biggest drawback was the deafening noise… Although the hotel is at the end of what seems like a quiet soi, it sit a few meters away from the super-highway, and my room was looking right onto it. The traffic noise was so loud that it made it impossible to sleep without earplugs, and even then, I could still hear the constant hum of cars speeding by.

SERVICE

The staff is in general nice and polite. In the rooms, things are kept pretty clean, but the housekeeping still leaves much to be desired. On each day I was there, the staff forgot to clean one thing or the other (it actually became a joke), such as: the bathroom trash was not emptied when I arrived (ugh!), the dishes were not washed, there was no toilet paper, a dirty glass would be left somewhere, etc… Not an eye for detail, that's for sure!!

BREAKFAST

Although there was a large choice, quality was not good. The orange juice was chemical, the hot dishes always dried and overcooked and the choice of breads very poor. They should try to do less, but better!

VALUE

I guess the main advantage of this hotel is its very low price, but there are other cheap options in Bangkok which are of better quality.

IN SUM

Too many drawbacks… I would not stay there again!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the superhighway!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Jewels_Gva
HM-Aspen, General Manager at Aspen Suites Sukhumvit 2 by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear Jewel,
Geneva Switzerland

Thank you very much for your review, It is important to us and our business to receive all positive and constructive feedback from our guests such as yours.

We will imporve our service and qualities of food as your comment and we would apologize that our location and facilities did not meet your expectations.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and hope to see you again in the future.

Pejlada Bukkavesa
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Amphoe Koh Sa-mui, Surat Thani, Thailand
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I have stayed at the Aspen Suites on many occasions whilst in bangkok and on every visit I have been impressed by the hospitality received. On numerous occasions I have requested an early check in due to flight times and have always been accomodated, nothing is too much trouble for the courteous staff at the Aspen.

The entire staff at the Aspen Suites have one common goal and that is to provide aa high standard customer service and satisfactiion of which I have first hand experience of on many occasions, whether it may be from Reception, Bell Boy, Room Service or Housekeeping.

Really love this place and it will conttine to be my number one choice wwhen in Bangkok.

Bill Rhynd

Room Tip: The Aspen Suite is a large comfortable one bedroom apartment style and exceellent value
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Bill R
HM-Aspen, General Manager at Aspen Suites Sukhumvit 2 by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear Bill,

Thank you very much for your encouraging feed back to share your experience about Aspen suites at Tripadvisor. We were very delighted to read that you have enjoyed the service, customer relation and friendliness of our staff and I shall certainly congratulate them personally.

We look forward to the pleasure of your next visit in Bangkok.

Melbourn
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This is my first time at Aspen Suites.The rooms was lovely and staff out here is very polite and friendly,They have complimentary Tuk-Tuk! I recommend this place for good value and I will come back to Aspen Suites again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Yuki_kOikOi
Dear Yuki,

All the best and again thank you very much for taking your valuable time to write about us, I will pass it on to my staff.

Look forward to welcome you back at Aspen.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed at Aspen Suites for the last night of our Thailand holiday, and were not disappointed. Upon arrival we were upgraded to the executive suite (many thanks to Yuth) which was incredible. Fitting end to a great holiday.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HM-Aspen, General Manager at Aspen Suites Sukhumvit 2 by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Euan D,

Thank yo very much for your valuable time to write about us, I am very happy to read your review and will pass it to my staff. We will have the opportunity to welcome you back again at Aspen.

Edinburgh
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I booked 3 nights stay online, based on the positive reviews and central location. When I arrived I was shown a room which looked nothing like the pictures on the website. The room was dirty, dated and very dark due to wooden planks in front of the window, which was fixed shut and unable to open.

I was shown another room. This was worse. Although nothing obstructed the window, this room faced onto a building being renovated so was very noisy. It was small, definitely not the 33sq metre as advertised. The bathroom had mould around the bath, the shower curtain had a large tear in it and the sink had no plug. The kitchen area was stained and unclean. Both these rooms had no wifi, only a network cable to connect to your computer next to the TV.

After speaking with the 'supervisor', I was informed if I wanted a better room I would have to pay 30% extra. After refusing this initial offer, the 'supervisor' offered another room - 'duluxe' puportedly. Although the room was slightly larger, the general cleanliness was poor and there was an overwhelming smell of stale smoke, which I could not accept. The 'supervisor' said that if we did not check-in we would still be charged a full nights stay, even though the rooms did not appear as advertised. I tried to politely discuss the unfairness of this policy to no avail. Eventually, after 45 mins of trying to reach an amicable solution, I decided it best to leave and write this review to warn other potential guests.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
10 Thank Adam269
HM-Aspen, General Manager at Aspen Suites Sukhumvit 2 by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Mr.Edinburgh,

Thank you for your comment, I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience while you visited the hotel.
Your constructive comment has been taken seriously by the hotel management.
Anyway, may I clarify you that both WIFI and internet landline have been provided in every room. I feel very sorry to know that one of our room we showed you was still under housekeeping’s cleaning process so poor cleanliness and unfresh smell was still around.
All above mentioned is just to understand you some points the most important thing, we would need to have other opportunity to serving you in the near future.
I do really appreciated your comment and intention to choose Aspen Hotel and hope to welcome you back.

Ontaria
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This is the first time I stayed at the Aspen Suites
The staff was great the rooms large and clean and the location is great
The price of this hotel for the services you receive is excellent .
The only thing I saw that could use some improvement was a little more selection at the breakfast Buffet.
The food from the restaurant was good not a big menu but well prepared , and the serving staff again were great.
Plus free internet YES
I will definitely be staying at the Aspen Suites again

Room Tip: All rooms are good and the staff are great
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank OFTOilFieldTrash
HM-Aspen, General Manager at Aspen Suites Sukhumvit 2 by Compass Hospitality, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear OFTOilFieldTrash,

Thank you very much for your valuable comments were received with appreciation. They are a good motivation for hotel staff to continue providing good services to all hotel guests, especially an excellent one like you.

Look forward to serving you again in the near future at Aspen Suites Bangkok.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed for 7 nights in an Aspen suite, very large suite with large double bedroom with kingsize bed and 32" plasma tv. Extra large living room with lounging sofa and dining table, a second plasma tv. Compact kitchen with cooker, microwave, decent size fridge/freezer and washing machine, all the comforts of home at a very reasonable cost.
Breakfast had good choice of food with a chef ready to freshly fry your eggs of you we're so inclined.
A small swimming pool and fitness room on the ground floor made it the complete package.
The hotel itself is situated quite a long way along soi 2 but offered a free tuk tuk service to Sukhumvit, the tuk tuk driver was always happy and willing to help, as we're the rest of the staff. Free wifi throughout the hotel.
I would stay here again as it was clean, friendly and excellent value for money.
I would stay here again as I

Room Tip: Go for an Aspen suite or a slightly smaller junior suite, gives much more room than the standard
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JimAWalker,

Thank you very much for your valuable comment. We are very happy to read that you've enjoyed your stay at Aspen and look forward to welcoming you again.