“Truly a disappointment”

Ranked #570 of 851 Hotels in Bangkok
Rochester, New York
“Truly a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

Out travel agent in Phnom Penh booked this hotel for us after I asked her for a somewhat "upscale" hotel near the Bangkok airport to end our trip. I agree that the rooms were clean and neat, but "upscale" - decidedly not.

* our room at "River View" was on the back side of the hotel, which meant we could have reached out of the (one) window (located in the bathroom alcove) and touched the apartment in the next building
* the "River" is a canal, and it appeared that most of the adjacent businesses were closed. We felt decidedly unsafe walking along the canal as dusk approched.
* food in the restaurant was fairly good, but the first three items we requested were not in stock or a substitution had to be made (shrimp for Tiger Prawns). The food was overpriced as well, but we were "stuck" since there really was nowhere else.
* At check-in we asked for a taxi at 0330 to get to the airport. When we arrived downstairs at 0320, they didn't seem to know anything about it and sent someone to get a cab. FORTUNATELY they DID return with one at about 0335.

I WISH I could offer a better review, because we were looking forward to a "special" night for our last evening in Bangkok. What we got was a "memorable" one...

Room Tip: If you ARE going to stay here, get a room on the FRONT side of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GlennKVI

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Eugene, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2012

It was difficult for me to choose between a 3 and 4 rating, but I've opted for an overall 3 rating. Although the charms of the place includes the convenience Queen's Garden offers by being so close to the Bangkok International Suvarnabhumi Airport (BKK), having comfortable and fairly clean rooms, the price, the staff being nice, and for having a convenient shuttle service to/from the airport. My husband and I chose to stay at Queen's Garden again, our fourth time, as we had an early morning flight returning to the States. After trying out a variety of rooms I now have my favorite. I ask for an upper level double facing the river. These rooms are fairly simple, but offer a nice view of the river and Buddhist monastery (Wat) that's across the street. If you're lucky you'll also hear or see the large jumping fish that have pretty much overtaken the pond. It is clean for the most part, although the bathroom has some open vents so you can get some visiting bugs, as well as hear the outside sounds quite easily. But, there's a door to the bathroom and changing area so you can tame down the noise and control the potential bug issue. With a good working air-conditioner you can pretty much block out the majority of outside sounds, with the exception of some low-flying airplanes coming into the airport and also the barking dogs across the river that call the colorful Wat their home. There's not much around for eating, except for Queen's Garden's own restaurant which has average to good food. If you are staying earlier in the day just up the narrow street (the opposite direction of the footbridge that crosses the river) there's a local's eatery. It's a busy place with a friendly vibe. It is only open in the mornings but they serve up some great duck, etc. There is also a quality coffee and tea stand which will make most jet-lagged travelers happy. I would not recommend Queen's Garden for longer stays though. See my reviews for Rambuttri Village Inn & Plaza and Sri-Ayuttaya Guest House for some other ideas. However, I do recommend Queen's Garden for short stays. We'll happily stay again on our arrival and departure from Thailand.

Room Tip: My favorite rooms are the upstair ones facing the river.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ElephantDreamer
Silver Spring, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

I can't say this was a terrible place, because it really wasn't. The rooms were clean and comfortable. It is quite close to the airport and within walking distance to the Airport MRT, which is nice. The reason I don't give it a higher rating is simply because it is too overpriced. The current rate is 950THB for a double occupancy room. For that price I expected much nicer rooms. I also needed some laundry done and was going to have them do it for me until I found out the insanely high prices they charge for laundry. I would have expected that from a Hilton or Intercontinental, but this is far from that quality. I also felt like the staff was ruder than necessary. They want to be a higher end hotel, but it's clear they don't want to put in the work. All that said, it would get a "very good" review from me if it were priced closer to 500THB per night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Derbyshire, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

we were booked in here by our tour operator as it is thai owned, and is very close to the airport. we didn't feel that it was up to standard for westerners, and there was nowhere nearby to walk out to.

having said this, the food was good, and the staff were lovely and very helpful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Bangkok hotels

Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2012

I booked a one night stay here as it's pretty much on the end of the runway at Suvarnabhumi airport. It can be very noisy as you would imagine but nothing a couple of earplugs won't resolve! The rooms are big, clean & comfortable and you are giving a wake up call in the morning. The food from the restaurant is VERY GOOD! The only gripe I had was the location. I planned to finish my shopping in BKK before I flew to the UK but the hotel won't provide you with one of their own taxi's to the tourist spots (even though they don't do much else!). They advise you to take the skytrain, but unless you know where you are going then there's not much else to do... there is nothing to do within walking distance of this place and acess to transportation is limited!
Be aware that they do offer a full American breakfast but not until 0730 onwards...

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Richy102
Bangkok, Thailand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2012

Like the previous review I have stayed quite a number of times and was happy with the hotel, although I do feel it has gone down hill.

The staff seem disinterested and a little rude, and the place is looking a little run down.

Not bad place but certainly not good, better hotels close by.

Also wifi cost 200 baht, this comes free with some other hotels

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Roosta21
durham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

ive stayed at the queens garden resort 20 times as a stop over for 1 night . when i first stayed there in 2008 it was a pleasant and clean hotel good speaking reception staff and maids did keep the hotel rooms very clean. but have just returned from bangkok on the 12/02/12 and my experience this trip with the queens garden will never stay there again.
everytime i travel into bkk i have to phone hotel for pickup to hotel cannot find staff waiting for me at airport . this trip they had me waiting in airport 55mins so i had to get taxi meter to hotel. which i complained to the reception staff and was like talking to a stone wall all i got sorry sir. room air conditioning was leaking water all the time and had to use towels to dry floor reported to hotel reception and all i got was i will phone man to fix never came. on leaving the hotel in there shuttle there driver told my wife in thai as my wife is a thai national that every room the same water leaking from air condtioner and the big boss japanese company that own queens garden will not spend money on the hotel so many employess leave as have problem with customers complaining often about the condition of the hotel. me personally i have seen every time i travelled to the queens garden differant staff faces . i will not be staying there again .pity good location and shame gone down hill.

Room Tip: choose a differant hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family