“Great Mexican restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina

Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina
Ranked #122 of 10,626 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: Thailand's oldest and best known Mexican restaurant. Inside the small sub soi that houses Cheap Charlies. Use either entrance - opposite Villa or opposite Ambassador Hotel. Please note... 1 We have a Kids' Curfew after 8pm. The restaurant becomes more like a bar and it's not suitable for young children. 2 Last orders for food is 11pm
Chonburi, Thailand
“Great Mexican restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very good restaurant on soi 11. The food was tasty and the margaritas, though a bit pricy, were among the best I've ever had. Usually make it point to come here whenever I'm in the city.

Visited July 2013
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Doncoppock

Thanks for the review - we're glad you enjoyed your visit and also that you found time to tell others about us.

We make all our dishes to order (no pre-prepped meals heated in a microwave here). And we've test all our new recipes with our Mexican friends who are the harshest of critics. Happily, we've been pleasing guests for over 21 years.

Regarding the margaritas, we're especially proud of them and consistently hear they're the best in Bangkok... and beyond. They're also deceptively strong; we have a warning on the door that 3 glasses is enough for most people to get quite a buzz on. If price is an issue, I recommend you come down on Tuesdays when they're half price all night from 5pm.

Thanks once again.

Best regards

• Korean first
  • Thai first
“Viva la Charley Brown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

Having tried most of the Mexican Restaurants in Bangkok, I must say, for price and quality Charley Brown reins numero uno.

This was my second visit in two months and what I appreciate is consistency in service and quality of food served.

The service was good (as it was the first time I visited), not great, due in part to the newness of our young Filipino male server. However, as I’m not paying for silver service 5 star dining then good service is just fine.

The food was splendid. Between the three of us, we ordered; Chicken Enchiladas, Australian Beef Taco, Chicken Quesada’s (10 inch) and hot Chicken Wings.

The portions were well sized, the cost IMHO was better than its competition so all in all a great Mexican dining experience.

I will be back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Arcm1972

Thank for the review - I'm glad you rate us best Mexican in Bangkok (actually I do too).

The young Filipino guy (Rodel) has only been with us for a month and a half, so he's still learning, but he's improving every day... I've given him the unenviable task of making my daily coffee. If I have a lousy coffee, I'm a grumpy sod all day, so he has a lot of pressure. He's just about got it perfect now.

You chose some excellent items from the menu - some of my favourites there (Who am I kidding?... that's like having a favourite child!). I think what sets us apart from other restaurants is that every meal is made to order and it tastes homemade.

Great to hear you enjoyed your two visits - I hope there are many more in the future.

Phnom Penh, Cambodia
“Pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

What can I say. Mexican gets around. It was a nice supervise to sit outside and drink a half price pitcher of margarita. The food was actually pretty good and the service was good. I would go back.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Emilyvand

Thanks for writing us a review, I'm pleased we were able to pleasantly surprise you.

A half a pitcher of margaritas is probably enough for most people... I've lost count of the number of people I've helped into taxis.

You say you will come back? Good news... We're looking forward to seeing you again.

Melbourne, Australia
“Great Mexican food, friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013

We visited Charley Browns on our first night in Bangkok after reading reviews on trip advisor. It is located in Soi 11 right next to Nana sky train station, just walk down the road and there is a little lane off to your left and there is a bunch of little restaurants tucked away. We were very impressed with the food here and the service. We had our three daughters with us and the male waiter was so lovely getting the kids extra pencils to draw on the kids menu and interacting with them. We loved our meals with my husband having the fajitas and myself the burritos. The shredded chicken used was delicious and the meals very reasonably priced and large in size. They even have kids meals available so cater for people with kids which is hard to find in Bangkok. We loved it here so much we returned on our trip back to Bangkok prior to flying out home. The female and male waiter were again wonderful, suggesting meals for our kids and the male waiter putting Mexican hats on our girls and giving our kids extra corn chips much to my 6 year olds delight. If you want authentic tasting great Mexican food with wonderful friendly service and a nice quiet atmosphere than don't miss a trip to Charley Browns, we will definately come back again on our next Bangkok stop over.

Visited June 2013
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Sarah

Thank you for your kind review - you've made the staff and I very happy. They love seeing positive TA reviews about their service.

We welcome well-behaved kids and your daughters were lovely. The sombreros were sent to us from our friends in Mexico - as you can imagine they're difficult to find in Bangkok! Since then they've become very popular... Barely a week goes by without some drunken guest trying to steal one!

We look forward to seeing you on your return visit to Bangkok.

Makati, Philippines
“Excellent Mexican food, great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Really liked the restaurant. Staff were fantastic, food was fresh and tasty, not greasy and overcooked like some places. Atmosphere was good, and wound up as the place filled up. It's not street tacos really - a step up actually, and a place I would easily return. Prices were quite reasonable given the drinks and amount of food we had. Thanks. Will be back

Visited June 2013
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Bluey22

Many thanks for the great review - very appreciated.

We're all delighted you enjoyed your visit and will come again. Price is always very subjective - I find we're well priced for the location and the quality of ingredients too.

We look forward to seeing you here again.

Best regards