“Excellent Mexican food, great location”

Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina
Ranked #182 of 11,052 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: We're Bangkok's oldest and best loved Mexican restaurant. For 25 years, we've been providing top quality food and drinks to locals and tourists alike. Great for parties or dates. We recently moved to a newer, bigger location close to the Asoke junction on Sukhumvit Soi 19. We have a Kids' Curfew after 8.30pm. The restaurant becomes more like a bar and it's not suitable for young children. Last orders for food is 11pm
Makati, Philippines
“Excellent Mexican food, great location”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Really liked the restaurant. Staff were fantastic, food was fresh and tasty, not greasy and overcooked like some places. Atmosphere was good, and wound up as the place filled up. It's not street tacos really - a step up actually, and a place I would easily return. Prices were quite reasonable given the drinks and amount of food we had. Thanks. Will be back

Visited June 2013
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Bluey22

Many thanks for the great review - very appreciated.

We're all delighted you enjoyed your visit and will come again. Price is always very subjective - I find we're well priced for the location and the quality of ingredients too.

We look forward to seeing you here again.

Best regards

Charley.

• Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore
“A Must-go in Bangkok!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Charley Browns is along Sukhumvit Soi 11, just off Nana BTS station. It's tucked in a cute, quiet and peaceful corner along Soi 11 which takes one out of the noisy buzzling Bangkok. There're no cars along that little lane which makes things so much more at ease.

Food's delicious! Averagely priced & they have a generous variety of drinks to pick from. What's best about Charley Browns are its staff - they're all friendly, helpful, have a smile on their faces and proactive in helping tourists like me get around in directions & recommendations on places to go.

The Manager of Charley Browns was kind enough to draw a detailed map of the area for me with good local insights. Everyone there speaks above-average English, totally communicable & understandable from a tourist's perspective! :)

• Visited June 2013
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Natalie

Thanks for writing the review - I will pass on your comments to my staff; they will be proud to hear your praise.

The staff is awesome - they are all hard-working and friendly people. I feel lucky to work with them.

I'm glad you enjoyed the food and drinks and we were able to make your stay in Bangkok a little more enjoyable.

When you come back to see us again, I want to know how long those 400 baht street market shoes lasted... I think I predicted 3 weeks ;-)

Isle of Man, United Kingdom
“Staff lovely, manager awful, food awful..,”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

We have been to a lovely Mexican restaurant in Bangkok but this was the worst. The cheese in our enchiladas was not even melted. It was like eating pizza base, there was absolutely no filling, we went to Bully's afterwards to get some food. The staff were lovely but the senior person in charge was very arrogant and we left as soon as we could. We will not be back.....

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank Alibaba1
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Alibaba

It's hard to know how to respond to your review.

On the one hand you appear to have grounds for a little gripe, but on the other hand, a one star rating is pretty damning considering all the errors in your review.

So... Firstly let me apologise that you didn't enjoy your food. Both you and your husband chose the same dish and didn't enjoy it - and I'm very sorry to hear that.

Now here's where the problems with your review arise...

You didn't order enchiladas, you ordered quesadillas - and you ordered the ones stuffed with potato and thyme. Personally, I love them, but everyone has different taste. They are served with sour cream, fresh salsa and jalapenos for you to add flavour. There are also three sauces on the table. My feeling is that if you'd used any of those, you would have enjoyed them more.

You didn't tell anyone you were unhappy... As you said in our correspondence, "Thais don't like confrontation...". Possibly that's true. But if you'd asked to speak to the manager, I would have exchanged the dishes for you immediately.

You DIDN'T speak to the manager though, did you?... You assumed our newest waiter was the manager and wrote him up as 'awful' and 'arrogant'. The truth is, he has worked for us for only three weeks and is still very shy. But you didn't tell him you were disappointed either - he would have told me so I could rectify the situation.

After dining with us, you were still hungry (good choice on Bully's though -try the California burger). That's because you both ordered an appetizer dish - a 6 inch quesadilla. Our main courses are very substantial.

And finally, I notice that in your Tripadvisor contributions, you have written SEVEN positive reviews for our neighbour and competitor. I don't think I've ever seen anyone write seven reviews for the same restaurant before. That's a very dedicated guest indeed.

I'm hoping that TA readers will read my response and see that your review is badly titled and unfair to the manager. But as you said in our correspondence, you felt it was easier for me to refute your errors rather than for you to correct them.

Bangkok
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Mexican Food by far in Bangkok”
Reviewed June 4, 2013

What a lovely little Mexican place it is. My girlfriend and I do not get there often enough! Amazing authentic food, lovely designed interior with a great service. Great Margaritas, delicious food ( I had the Fajitas ) and an super awesome owner/manager Dave who runs this place like no other! Feel's like home with the special and unique personal touch. Definitely I can only recommend this restaurant if you are looking for great Mexican food, good service, amazing Margaritas and a very handsome looking manager (for his age;)). Will be back shortly

• Visited May 2013
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Nicolas,

Many thanks for your review - we appreciate the feedback, and we love hearing when we've done a good job.

The fajitas are a particular favourite of mine and I often recommend them (for guests with a BIG appetite).

As regards the handsome manager/owner, it just goes to show what a diet of good Mexican food six nights a week can do for you... In reality, I'm 88 years old, I lie about my age so people don't get freaked out.

Look forward to seeing you guys again.

Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
“Great night with friends and best waitress service ever.”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Was in CB's last night with quite a large size group (10), from begining to end this was a great night. All of us were greated warmly and drinks were in our hands within minutes. We had a couple of people in our group who needed to avoid certain foods and the manager/owner of the restaurant took charge and was extremely helpful in helping us select dishes that would work and getting the kitchen team to adapt a few favourites. Service was brilliant, attentive and friendly, food arrived quickly and was great quality and very tasty and if the margharita's or sangria's aren't your thing, then the wine is decent and they do not charge through the nose for it (which means you can afford the second bottle!) A great night - so good in fact i may pop in again at the weekend!

• Visited May 2013
CharleyBrowns, Owner at Charley Brown's Mexican Cantina, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear SABKK

This was a great review for us to receive - in an unusual turn of events, I was having a short holiday and we were trying out a new manageress.

From the reports I've received, she did an excellent job and didn't break anything. We'll be giving her another trial period later in the year to see if she can handle that too.

I'm glad to hear we were able to adapt dishes for your palates - we always try to make dishes exactly the way our guests like them.

Hope to see you down here again soon.

Thanks and best regards